Should I be an Anglican?

I’ve been using this site for about a year or so…I have found the answers very useful; but they are Catholic answers (of course!). Answers I tend to agree with…although I am meant to be Protestant…in theory!

I believe God is (in all qualities; joy, beauty, wisdom, knowledge, enjoyableness…) without any form of limit; ‘endlessly high in quality’ in the most literal sense of the word. I believe this reality (including ideas, fictions, art etc.) reflect God and only exist in so much as they are reflections of God (anything that doesn’t reflect God does not exist- evil is negation of good, not creation)…

Are all these universal to Christian denominations, or am I in the ‘wrong one’?

The Church of England exists because their heretic founder Henry VIII wished to divorce and remarry. The Pope said no so he “made” his own church. If you had the choice between joining the church founded by Jesus Christ and the church founded by a heretic, why would you ever choose the latter?

Decree of nullity.

GKC

i doubt it is universal to christian dominations, in fact not a lot seems to be universal outside of cahotlicism.

in all fairness, you are asking whether or not you should be an anglican on a cahotlic site. i think most people will say no

but we are all on a faith journey, if you feel closer to the anglican curch at this point over your current demonination, why not go for it? perhaps it is just a stepping stone.

also, pray and think about what a church is supposed to be. Jesus established only one, not many fragmented ones, teaching different things.

From my point of view, Thomas, the description you give doesn’t help me, because in some way or another, anyone could say essentially the same thing. A while back I read Louis Tarsitano’s book, “An Outline of an Anglican Life”. If you were contradicting major areas of Anglican teaching (motley though they may be), I would say, yes, you’re in the wrong one.
We Lutherans are pesky about doctrine. Perhaps something more doctrine about your belief would help.

Jon

Read Newman and you will learn why Anglicanism is not enough. The final & logical step on his journey was Roman Catholicism. At least it was for him. Of course any of the Orthodox Churches are possible but they do not have the Apostolic Succession.

According to the Catholic Church, Orthodoxy does indeed have Apostolic Succession.

Jon

For me the anglican Church was a stepping stone in the right direction. Much of the liturgy reflects that of Catholicism. I think it is a step in the right direction, but in the end, I found it to be lacking compared to the Catholic Church. Why not pass GO-> [as they say in Monopoly] and go straight to the source?:wink:

In the end, your spiritual journey is yours to follow. If you find the COE to be fulfilling then that is great. My family is still COE and I have no problem with that, nor did they have a problem with my conversion to Catholicism. How we choose to serve God, and live the example of Christ is our business alone.

PS: Have you ever attended Episcopal or Catholic Mass? Get your feet wet. You are ALWAYS welcome in our church. I am sure the COE would say the same. Judge for yourself. This is what I did.

Welcome :slight_smile:

I was brought up Anglican, went to a Church of England primary school. Yet I chose to convert to Catholicism.

There were various reasons, not all of which I can remember now. The ones I can remember are:

Transubstantiation
= the bread and wine at the altar during service becomes the ACTUAL body and blood of Christ. In the NT Jesus actually says this literally happens, but Protestants regard this as being symbolic not literal.

History
Jesus gave Peter the keys to the Church. The RCC is the same Church as Christ established. Anglicanism was an offshoot that became Protestant.

Saints
Various Catholic saints are known as the incorruptibles. Some are centuries old but have never, or only lightly, decomposed. Though this could also have a scientific reason too of course.

Miracles
Such as that at Fatima, Portugal (also said to be a hoax by sceptics). To me however, Fatima seems quite likely given the amount of media coverage it received even at the time.

Home
This was a deciding reason. The Church felt ‘right’ to me, I felt at home with it. I felt that Protestantism ignored too many things that were an integral part of Christianity for centuries before the Reformation.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Most Anglicans, as I understand it, teach the real presence, and not symbolic.

It sounds like you are were you ought to be. May you be blest there in word and sacrament. :thumbsup:

Jon

Well, God may be limitless but he knows our human limitations and accommodates them. :slight_smile: While it is possible to be saved as a baptized Christian outside formal membership in the Catholic Church (non-Catholic baptism puts such persons in imperfect union with the Church), still Jesus founded a visible Church on the Apostles. We cannot knowingly resist being reconciled to Christ’s Church without peril to our souls.

God wishes all of us to be one in the Church Christ founded, not separated according to what pleases man. In the end what matters most is truth and love. Once we know the truth we must act on it, even if we have reservations of taste or affections or even family ties. As a former Anglican (ECUSA) I can say with certainty that the fullness of both truth and love subsist within the Catholic Church. Why would anyone want less?

If you wish you can express whatever reservations you may have about being reconciled to the Church. We are here to help you in any way we can. :slight_smile:

A majority, in my experience.

And you find those who affirm transubstantiation, too.

But beliefs vary.

GKC

…and Henry didn’t start a new church, just changed the address on where the tithes were sent.:wink:

But to the OP. It would serve you to investigate Anglicanism.

As a non-liturgical Protestant, of course I’m going to say to go where God leads you. Read, study and pray pray pray.

Nice try, but this just isn’t so.

First, replacing the pope with the King of England is starting a new church, a church not founded on the successor of Peter, but on the successor of Albert the Great.

Second, the COE repudiates several key Catholic beliefs, including transubstantiation and holy orders and moral teachings such as the licit use of contraception and abortion.

I could go on but you know as well as I do that the COE does not predate Henry (who was once a Defender of the Catholic Faith himself)

The short answer to your titular question is – NO. No one should ever put themselves or keep themselves outside of the Catholic Church, it is far too dangerous and the cost could be an eternity in Hell. Remember, under normal circumstances NO ONE is saved outside of visible communion with the Church Christ Himself established to be the means of salvation for your soul. Yes, there are certain limited circumstances in which a non-Catholic can be saved, and yes we hope and pray that you’d be one of them if you choose to stay outside the Church, but you are making it much more difficult for yourself by failing to take advantage of the sacraments. Besides, is someone who spends as much time as you do on these forums really invincibly ignorant of the necessity of joining the Church? Remember, knowledge doesn’t equal agreement. You can disagree with a teaching and not be ignorant of it, let alone invincibly ignorant.

Either way, I’ll pray that you continue the journey.

What do you mean, you are “meant to be a Protestant”?

Anyway, Catholics will tend to think that the COE is lacking something, while the Catholic Church has the fullness of the Faith.

OTOH, I ran into some Episcopalians (Anglicans in the US) who tried to explain to me that they were actually Catholic… which made me wonder why they weren’t?

I read a story which I have been unable to find again, about Cardinal John Henry Newman who converted to Catholicism, and he apparently studied the two faiths, looked into the claims, etc. for quite a long time, but was unable to decide. He was confused about what to do next, and finally hit upon asking God about it (! That sounds like me ;)). Shortly after that, he converted.

IOW, there comes a time when it is time to stop studying, trying to make a reasoned decision for ourselves, and instead to ask God what He wants us to do.

My good friend, do you not know who the Anglican church was founded by? Would you rather be part of a church that was started by man, or do you want to be part of the church that was given to us by God? May the Lord guide you:)

p.s. Become a Catholic (Roman)!:smiley:

There are those of us who would be tempted to answer that question with “St. Augustine of Canterbury”…

But, historically, it had to have been roughly 500 years before that.

GKC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.