Should I be dusting and cleaning the monstrance?

I go to an adoration hour every week, and the little old lady before me stopped me a while ago and said:

“Can you do me a favor?”

Of course…

“Would you mind dusting the monstrance? You’re tall…it needs dusting”

OhhhKaaay…no problem! Jesus deserves to have a clean home. I’ll do it!

Am I allowed to?

You should probably tell a priest or a sacristan. Certainly do not dust it when it’s holding the Blessed Sacrament.

i was just going to say that. In my parish, it's hard to say what anybody would do.

As a former full time sacristan for almost ten years what I can san say from experience from a monstrance requiring delicate periodic care is that most only need to be cleaned with a damp cloth used exclusively for cleaning sacred vessels so as to not scratch the surface.

Most monstrances used in many parishes are made brass or combination metals like brass and nickel with the outside surface of the metal sprayed with a thin lacquer to prevent tarnishing.

More expensive monstrances are made of precious metals of gold and silver and most often a combination of both sometimes inlayed with precious jewels. They require much more delicate care.

Most sacristies in parishes keep their their sacred vessels in a cupboard under lock and key. More costly sacred vessels are set aside in a safe usually in the Church Rectory as is the case in my parish.

Peace
Chris

I would definitely consult a priest or sacristan in regards to this issue. It's probably somone's job (sacristan's, I suppose) to do that anyways. But, at least you seemed like a good candidate! :thumbsup: ;)

[quote="Armor_of_Light, post:1, topic:316921"]
I go to an adoration hour every week, and the little old lady before me stopped me a while ago and said:

"Can you do me a favor?"

Of course..

"Would you mind dusting the monstrance? You're tall..it needs dusting"

OhhhKaaay..no problem! Jesus deserves to have a clean home. I'll do it!

Am I allowed to?

[/quote]

I am not sure you are allowed or not but Jesus deserves clean home and if anybody asks me, it is an opportunity to serve Jesus. My way of thinking so don't mind

Why would you not be allowed to clean an empty monstrance? It's a vessel. When it's empty, it's no different than a communion cup. You could clean that, too, after it's been purified.

[quote="929dad, post:7, topic:316921"]
Why would you not be allowed to clean an empty monstrance? It's a vessel. When it's empty, it's no different than a communion cup. You could clean that, too, after it's been purified.

[/quote]

That's true. But one would not need to be tall to do it :)

Could it be a permanent structure fixed high up over the back wall/old High Altar? I’ve seen something of the kind in pictures. I think we mustn’t assume we are talking about a moveable vessel only a couple of feet high that’s taken in and out of the sacristy safe when needed.

[quote="paperwight66, post:9, topic:316921"]
Could it be a permanent structure fixed high up over the back wall/old High Altar? I've seen something of the kind in pictures. I think we mustn't assume we are talking about a moveable vessel only a couple of feet high that's taken in and out of the sacristy safe when needed.

[/quote]

I would say that it is not very likely for a monstrance to be permanently fixed. Some of the older churches had monstrances that could be placed on top of the tabernacle for Exposition. But it would need to be in reach of the priest to remove the Sacred Host to place back in the tabernacle at certain times, such as, whenever Mass was about to be offered. I don't know if the OP was referring to a regularly used church or an adoration chapel with permanent Exposition. But one thing that we should not assume is that just because a little old lady asked him to dust the monstrance that she had any authority to ask that of him. It is not appropriate for just anyone to walk up into the sacristy to do whatever they think needs to be done. I agree with others that this is probably something that should be mentioned to the pastor or sacritan.

Should be okay if it's empty and you know the necessary procedures for the materials used.

My own thoughts (and this is purely personal and not meant as an imposition where the Church doesn't), is that the monstrance is considered a sacred vessel, and until recently, could be touched only by one ordained a subdeacon. If I were deputed to clean it, I would wear white cloth gloves in continuity with that practice.

But as I said, it's not Church law anymore.

It is my understanding that gloves are often wore to protect the metal to keep it from tarnishing, not because it is a sacred vessel. Sometimes people also wear gloves to protect their hands from cleaners. But I think we should be careful not to show exaggerated respect for sacred vessels.

[quote="Johnmichelsr, post:6, topic:316921"]
I am not sure you are allowed or not but Jesus deserves move out cleaning brisbane home and if anybody asks me, it is an opportunity to serve Jesus. My way of thinking end of lease cleaning brisbane so don't mind

[/quote]

Everyone has its own thinking so there is no problem in cleaning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.