Should I be “re-” baptized?

So I’ve come up in the Baptist church, and I was baptized, I kid you not, at the age of 6 or 7. Now, seeing as I was below the age of reason (I had no idea what I was doing, too), and I only really came to Christ in the 7th grade on a mission trip, should I be baptized “again” when I enter the Church? I say “again” in scare quotes because if it was invalid, as I believe it may have been, then in the words of St. Cyprian, I would not be “re-baptized, but baptized by us [the Catholic Church], who at any time come from the adulterous and unhallowed water to be washed and sanctified by the truth of the saving water.” (Epistle 72:1)

By the way, if I should be baptized, I’m not at all viewing that as a burden! Part of me actually rather hopes the first one was invalid, so I may be baptized in full communion with the true Church. I haven’t been able to talk to a local priest yet, because my intent to cross the Tiber is still on the DL in my family headed by my Baptist pastor father. So I’m asking here!

If you are baptised Christian, another baptism is not required. Correct me if I’m wrong.

So long as you were baptized with water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, you are good to go.

We baptize infants, so…

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism.

If you had a Trinitarian Baptism it is valid no matter if you were 1 day old or 100 years old.

So is it not different than infant baptism if, as a young kid, I have some faculties of reason, but was even doing so under false pretenses? The first baptisms I ever saw were in a big above-ground pool on our church grounds. I wanted to go in the pool. My parents explained it to young-me, and I just wanted to go in the pool! When I eventually was baptized, it was inside, in a built in baptismal, in front of everyone. I just wanted out :joy:

In fact the Church goes even a bit further and says that if you were properly baptized, you may not be baptized again. If there is a question about the validity of the first baptism, a conditional baptism is permitted; however, there is nothing in the OP’s post to raise any red flags about the validity of his/her first baptism.

Short answer to OP, NO, you should not because you cannot.

Oh. Shoot.

No, you don’t need to be re-baptized. If you have a baptismal certificate or have knowledge of the baptismal you should not be re-baptized. At the age of 7 or so, you have the age of reasoning-or so they say. I assume you were not forced to receive the Holy Spirit even at the age of 7. You receive the Holy spirit once with baptism. However, just to be correct and ‘legal’ run this by your Priest.

No certificate, but yeah, I have a vague memory of being on stage. And being wet. And going to our favorite Tex-Mex place after church to celebrate

I love it when the deacons talk business, in the know :wink:

Do you remember words like, “I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”?

Not explicitly, if I try to recall it. No personal memory there, but that’s how it was always done at our church then and the church we attend now. I really only remember looking out at the congregation and wanting to leave. Of course, I’m not trying to rationalize the validity away, but I don’t remember it well

If that’s the normal formula for your church, then I think it’s safe to assume it is how it was done for you. So, no, as everyone has said, you may not be re-baptized. And since Catholics baptize infants, you didn’t need to be above the age of reason.

Totally get this. I was baptised aged 16 in the Methodist church but actually experienced the Holy Spirit beforehand when I became a Christian and committed myself to God . (A prayer in my room - what Protestants refer to as the ‘sinners prayer). Realise how blessed I am to have had this happen. When I sought to be received into the Catholic Church this year , I asked for the church to find the record of my baptism and they couldn’t find it. I never received a certificate either and the record was not found in the archives. I had a bible with my ‘reception into the church’ written into it but that’s literally it. In the end, my mother just wrote a letter to the priest ( which incidentally got lost along the way and turned up after I was received ). Point is, I do remember being baptised with Trinitarian formula and I know it’s indelible. But I also have a bad memory, after the baptism a guy from the congregation embraced me and said ‘welcome to the family’ and the embrace felt too intimate for a 16 yo girl he gripped me too tight and held on for a while. and gazed into my eyes. So yeah my baptism wasn’t what I wanted. I’ve never told anyone that last bit apart from my mother. Thanks guys. Just wish I could have a do over but I can’t. God made it up to me with my confirmation into the church and a lovely appropriate hug from a maverick and a bit nuts Irish priest whom I adore

No, you should not be re-baptized, unless you have reason to believe that they may not have baptized you in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The age of your Baptism is not relevant here.

God bless

Okay. Thanks, all. And thank you @halogirl , I thought I was alone in being dissatisfied with my baptism. Which, itself, felt wrong. How could I be dissatisfied with baptism? Sounded off, but thank you for reassuring.

We have to remember that the sacrament is more important than the circumstances. We are a new creation. Xxx

In lieu of the sacraments

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.