Should I buy a missal?

I did a search on here to try to find out about buying a missal and what I should do to be as involved as possible during the mass. I ran across some interesting commentary on reading the missal during the mass and not reading from it; I’m not trying to rehash that conversation, so please don’t think I am. I just need a little advice on how to proceed.

This past Sunday I sat in the pew with a very lovely, very large family with young children who are still learning appropriate times to be vocal. I love all of God’s children and think it is wonderful that the family stayed together as a family, and I didn’t expect for them to remove the children from the church; however, I found it difficult to concentrate and receive the word of God because the children were very noisy. I come from a Methodist church where we are invited to follow along in the pew bible as we listen to the word of God, so I’m not used to not having the scripture in front of me to begin with, and I was really having a hard time listening and processing at the same time.

What is the best way to prepare for the mass and the scripture readings? Should I buy a missal? If so, should I bring it with me to church? I was looking at the magnificat website. Is a subscription through them worth it? If I’m going to spend money, I just want to make sure that it is well spent, and I want to have the best experience that I can, even if I end up sitting next to another very lovely, very large family. :smiley: Thanks!

I don't particularly like Magnificat; their publication is fine [edited].

There are two American publications almost exactly like it, one is called Give Us This Day and the other one is The Word Among Us. Both of them are monthly publications that have all of the Lectionary readings and Missal texts for every day of the month (plus perhaps a special Holy Week issue).

If you're OK with missing the Mass propers (Entrance Antiphon, Collect, Offertory, Preface, Communion Antiphon, and the Prayer after Communion), you can also just get the Lectionary readings on practically a thousand different websites online, including the USCCB. The Mass propers, though, are under a somewhat strict copyright and you can't legally read them anywhere without paying some sort of fee.

The church should have missalettes in the pews. They have everything in them.

Magnificat is a good resource and has devotionals that can be used during the week.

I also like The Word Among Us.

You might want to check out the thread “My New Roman Missal from Midwest Theological Forum (lots of pics)

-Tim-

I use the St. Paul Sunday Missal. It works fine for me. It has two book mark threads to keep track of the readings and then the Eucharistic prayers. I keep in it the card with the Rosary Confraternity prayer for when I do that after mass. I keep the envelope with the money in the back so it is right there during collection. I think it helps improve mass a great deal. It allows me to read in advance, or after I go home if I reflect on something that was said. I couldn't get into the Magnificat.

I sort of get the same effect by carrying the missal and a little devotional like My Daily Bread.

:hmmm:
Any idea why they are under copyright?

:thumbsup:

ignatius.com/IProducts/161792/daily-roman-missal–bonded-brown-leather.aspx

My personal feeling is that one should have a missal, but take it to Mass no. Use the missal to study the readings and prayers of the Mass. Meditate on them. Make them your own. Then attend the Mass and LISTEN to the Word of the Lord. If you are reading missals and missalettes, you do not listen.

I learn by reading more than listening. For me, using the missal is far more helpful and I am far more involved in the mass that way. When I hear something, I don't remember it as well as when I read it. When I read the passages as they are spoken, the resonate more deeply and I am able to better retain the meaning.

I subscribe to both the Magnificat and the Word Among Us and use both of them for the readings and devotionals. I know that it is encouraged to hear the Word proclaimed as was done in the early Church (at first it wasn't written and then after it was many couldn't read nor was it available) but I agree that one should use whatever allows them to receive fully. I do follow along at Mass even after having read the readings not only in the missal but in the bible to get the fuller context. If the Church was dead set against it then there would be no missalettes in the Church. So, should you buy a missal? Sure, why not. Should you use it in Church? Unless it is prohibited then by all means. The Word of God is for you to grasp and you are not taking anything away if you read along. God bless!

Thank you for all of the great responses! I will look further into each of the suggestions. You've all been very helpful, and I've learned a few things! Thanks again!

[quote="Catholic_Wife, post:6, topic:333105"]

:hmmm:
Any idea why they are under copyright?

[/quote]

It helps protect the integrity of the text, it ensures that all of the translators and editors are properly compensated for their work, and it also is somewhat helpful in preventing the texts from being used for profane reasons.

If you're asking why the Missal texts are more strictly copyrighted than, say, the New American Bible which can be freely read on many websites; it's because the Missal was an official international work of the Catholic Church, as opposed to the NAB which was a voluntary cooperation just from the USCCB. Meaning the USCCB had more power to free up the copyright for their Bible translation.

That’s good for you but not for everyone. Some listen deeper when they read along. One size does not fit all.

-Tim-

I had never heard of these negative sentiments before I encountered this thread. Are you guys saying that when I go to mass with my missal and devotional, people look at me and think ill of me because I use a missal to better follow the mass?

If that's true, I honestly find that rather disturbing. I am already pretty self-conscious for various reasons, especially at mass, and now I am going to worry that people are looking down on me because I use my missal every Sunday.

Bringing my missal, devotional, and rosary to mass every Sunday has become a ritual quite important to me.

[quote="TimothyH, post:13, topic:333105"]
That's good for you but not for everyone. Some listen deeper when they read along. One size does not fit all.

-Tim-

[/quote]

Exactly - I said that it was my personal opinion...

[quote="Rete, post:14, topic:333105"]
I had never heard of these negative sentiments before I encountered this thread. Are you guys saying that when I go to mass with my missal and devotional, people look at me and think ill of me because I use a missal to better follow the mass?

If that's true, I honestly find that rather disturbing. I am already pretty self-conscious for various reasons, especially at mass, and now I am going to worry that people are looking down on me because I use my missal every Sunday.

Bringing my missal, devotional, and rosary to mass every Sunday has become a ritual quite important to me.

[/quote]

I'm certain that most people would never think ill of anyone using a missal! There are some people who may think that way. In fact, it is none of their business! Why do they think missals were published?

Of course, there are people who prefer not to use a missal. That's fine for them. What makes some of them prone to negative criticism of those of us who participate and understand better when using a missal, I have no idea. Ignore them! It seems that their imaginations cannot stretch to understand that some of us (perhaps most of us!) increase our understanding and retention of prayers and readings when we follow along in the missal. As to the claim that we cannot hear when we are reading, I reject that totally, but can understand that, perhaps, some people may not be able to hear when they are reading. It all depends on their method of reading. But seeing and understand what we are seeing is processed in a different part of the brain from that in which we hear and understand what we are hearing.

Have no concern regarding buying a missal. Simply choose one that is appropriate for the country in which you live. I bought mine from Amazon.uk since I live in Trinidad and the readings are from a different version of the bible than that which is used in the USA. My previous missal was from the US, but printed before the US turned to using the NAB. So, just buy the one most appropriate for you.

[quote="eamonnroma, post:8, topic:333105"]
If you are reading missals and missalettes, you do not listen.

[/quote]

In my experience, this has not been true. Indeed, it is when following along with the readings and prayers in a missalette that I notice if the lector skips a word or if a priest is changing the words to a prayer. ;) More to the point, though, my mind has been known to wander when I am only listening to a reading or prayer; following along with its text gives my mind a sharper focus on what is being read or prayed, and I end up participating better.

In what way?

I’ve decided that the missal isn’t really what I need, since I can get the lectionary readings online and all of the mass propers are printed out and handed to us on the way into the church. I think I’m leaning more toward a publication like those listed above. Thank you for those recommendations. I also found another one, Living with Christ. Does anyone know about that one? So now I just need to decide.

I’m also looking for something for my 9 year old twins. I really liked what I saw in Magnifikid when I went to their website, but I would like to know what makes the company “slimy”. I’d hate to know I was supporting a company that perhaps treats their customers poorly in some way.

I didn’t see anything for kids from the other two publications you mention above. Are there other good publications for kids? I’d like to be able to sit with them before going to mass and prepare ourselves for God’s word together.

I have been using the Magnificat for several years, and I really like it. A couple of months ago, I subscribed to “The word Among Us” online from the Amazon Kindle site. I now read I on my Kindle e-book (you can get the Kindle app and use it on most other e-books and tablets). It’s easier for me to have it on my Kindle.

I like the Magnificat or The word Among Us, for a couple of reasons:

For weekday masses, most missalettes don’t have the propers for the weekdays masses, only the main readings.

Also, If I go to a parish, other than my home parish, (which I always do for weekday mass) their books are usually quite different from what I am used to and I have a difficult time finding anything (most books have the propers in a different section of the book from the readings :banghead:.

I use a missal because I like to go over the readings and pray on them before mass AND because if I don’t follow along, during mass, my mind has a tendency to wander :whistle:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.