Should I buy a missal?

In short, they’re an enormous company that gets to bypass certain publishing regulations by throwing their weight around. I’m going by what I myself have physically witnessed in the missalette industry so I have no websites I can link to or anything of the sort; but if you know anybody in the biz, ask them and you’ll hear the same answer.

I think Living with Christ is for Canadians, which would mean the readings therein use the New Revised Standard Version translation of the Bible rather than the U.S.'s New American Bible.

That being said. The Word Among Us and Give Us This Day are almost exactly the same as Magnificat in format, the only considerable difference being the “optional” material (such as the tiny editorials or pieces of art between the daily Mass texts). So I would advocate either of them. As for how good they are for kids: well, that I can’t say. Show them and see for yourself I suppose :shrug:

There’s also one called Laudamus Te for the EF (“Tridentine Latin Mass”) that has all of the readings from the 1962 Missale Romanum for the season in both Latin and English, if that interests you.

0 Likes

Besides being uncharitable (yes, I’m judging – this is why God gave us a mind, if we couldn’t judge we would never know what to do in any given situation), what basis do you have for the assertion above ? :confused:

To the OP question – there are a number of good missals out there, you might try Ignatius Press or TAN books. The missalette in the pew is a good place to start, but a hand missal gives you more depth, feast days of saints, devotions, Vespers, et cetera.

Congratulations on your journey across the Tiber – my wife was a convert from Methodist – you know what they say, “Converts make the best Catholics” ! :thumbsup:

0 Likes

Well then, I have used my own reason to determine that Magnificat SAS’s business practices themselves are uncharitable, and that I should generally avoid buying their publications in accords with my moral reasoning informed by my Christian faith.

Though I am a bit confused as to why you yourself have reasoned that I am being uncharitable while simultaneously admitting that you do not know the reason for what I have said. (I’ve already explained above if you would like to learn, though.)

0 Likes

[edited]

Had the warning against Magnificat been some thing like “engages in unfair business practices”, I probably would have just moved along.

[edited]

0 Likes

You said exactly, “My personal feeling is that one should…” and then went on to say what “one” should do.

I happen to follow along in my missal but I put it down at the Gospel for exactly the reason you state. I like to hear the Gospel proclaimed rather than read along. It has more meaning for me when I close my eyes and listen to the words proclaimed.

But that is what I do for myself, and what anyone else does is up to them.

The days where every priest in North America is an anglo who speaks perfect english are over. We have a priest from India and following along in the Missal during the Eucharistic Prayer helps me understand how he speaks so that I can better understand his homily. Sometimes the Missal helps me to learn a priest’s particular accent. There are other uses for the Missal and it is not always black and white.

-Tim-

0 Likes

I use “Living with Christ”. If you live in Canada, the do print a Canadian version, but mine is exactly the same as our US lectionary.
I have used the others but this is by far my favorite.

0 Likes

I, too, use Living with Christ. It’s the most affordable option for me as I just need the readings, order of mass (whether or not there’s a Gloria or not, etc.), and the entrance and communion antiphons. I do not need an abbreviated morning and evening prayer or other devotionals which many people appreciate in the Magnificat.

0 Likes

Personally, I think purchasing a Missal is a waste of money. The parts of the Mass that do not change (the Ordo) one eventually memorizes after enough exposure, and the parts that do change (the Propers), such as the readings and responses, are usually provided by the church in the form of a Misalette in the pews or on a sheet of paper one can find in the Narthex or just upon entering the Nave.

If it’s the scripture readings you specifically want to follow along with, feel free to bring a Bible to Mass. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I agree. I take my Magnificat with me to Mass and read along not only the readings but the prayers as well. It is entering my brain both orally and visually so I retain it much better that way. If we aren’t supposed to read along why in the world would the Church give us the missals and missalettes?

0 Likes

A missal for the EF is quite useful.

When Mass is in my native tongue, my mind tends to wander, so I can equally see the benefit of a missal for the OF mass as well.

:slight_smile:

0 Likes

Of course a missal for the EF is almost necessary. I just assumed the OP was about the OF, which is presumably in his/her mother tongue. Concerning mind wandering, if having a written script helps you alleviate that, then more power to ya! :slight_smile: Missals, nevertheless, tend to be ornate and expensive. Given that most parishes offer alternatives to fully bound missals, and the OP is just starting to attend Mass, I don’t know that it’s prudent to buy one.

0 Likes

I own a St. Joseph Missal and find it QUITE useful. I read along and it helps me learn, and understand the readings far better then just listening.

0 Likes

What’s really great about EF missals is that one can find 1950’s + 1960’s era Latin/English missals on the cheap at yard sales, OF parish bazaars, and thrift shops.

You really don’t have to pay $60 (and up) for a brand spanking new EF missal – ebay is a good source for missals as well.

0 Likes

Magnificat is a beautiful publication with pictures like this :

and not like this (which is what I’ve seen for most of my life) :

Magnificat also has devotional articles and additional prayers as well.

0 Likes

:rolleyes:

Thank you for implying the reason I oppose the company which publishes the Magnificat is not the stated reason I gave, but rather because I’m some sort of tradition-hater that would prefer the Church to be run by modernist hippies.

FYI, the beautiful artwork that appears in Magnificat publications is part of their business practices that I heartily dislike; these works, which should be freely available but instead you have to pay immense fees to get replicas or see them on the 'net, are part of the royalties that are going to Magnificat’s pockets.

0 Likes

The implication that you point out is not what I had in mind – I just like nice artwork and traditional devotions. Period. :slight_smile:

I am not a fan of people seeking to profit from anything which is (greater than 70 years, IIRC) in the public domain. I still like the Magnificat for the above stated reasons, and I’m sorry your experience has been the opposite of mine with said publication.

In life there are always those who want to skim the cream (make money) off the top at the expense of others. We know that our home is not here and I don’t know of any funeral directors that have a Brinks truck or U-Haul van following the hearse in a funeral procession.

:smiley:

0 Likes

I am more of a visual learner, I think. So seeing the words to which I am listening imprints the words and their meanings more deeply in my mind (and, in terms of Scripture and prayer, in my heart). I also like having subtitles on when I watch certain TV shows for the same reason.

And, (not to open a rabbit hole re: women proclaiming the Word at Mass) sometimes readers are dressed immodestly. Not always. But when they are…being able to focus on words on a page is better than coming to the near occasion or THE occasion of sin by looking at the reader at Mass, and is also better then staring off into space like I’m ignoring Mass

0 Likes

I have iMissal on my phone but never use it at Mass because I figure too many people would assume I’m playing games or not taking Mass seriously. Our missalettes don’t have the weekday readings so it would be helpful to use on the days I make it to daily Mass. I’ve noticed that most of the regular weekday crowd have their own missals.

0 Likes

I have seen one guy who uses something like that on his iPad. I wouldn’t have assumed he was playing a game at all. In fact, if a person were playing games on a tablet, I would assume they were using some kind of missal application. I am pretty sure most people would assume the same thing.

0 Likes

I’ve seen lots of people in our parish using their phones for games, texting and phone calls during Mass. I think the general assumption at our parish would be that I was fooling around. I know I shouldn’t bother with what others think, but so far it’s kept me from using the missal on my phone or the confession app in the confessional.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.