Should I communicate with psychic?

I am on RCIA course and I have just heard from an old friend I used to work with who is a psychic. We used to share interests 20 years ago but needless to say I have developed and no longer have same beliefs, she is still practicing. In my initial email reply I mentioned that I am studying theology but didnt elabourate or mention RCIA.
Should I openly communicate with her? - is there any real problem/danger in exchanging details family photo’s etc etc…
We were great (but just) friends back then and I would welcome advice.
Thanks

Peter

Sure, there’s no problem communicating with her as a friend, but stay away from any psychic readings.

If you are strong enough in the Faith and are trying to be a wittness is one thing,Please read the CCC.Get advice from your Priest.Peace

Why did your friend suddenly reappear at this precise moment in your life? This is a spiritual attack, as the evil one knows you are increasing in your faith, and drawing nearer to God. I advise extreme caution. First and foremost, let her know that you are Christian and that nothing of the past matters now.

Ask an apologist, or perhaps Fr. Serpa on the forums, or the priest at your parish about this. The timing of this whole occurrence is very suspect. You now listen to one spirit, the Holy Spirit. All other spirits just open the door for the evil one.

Study your faith, learn your faith, practice your faith.

Christ’s peace.

When you become a Christian your old self must die so that you can arise once more to a NEW LIFE in Christ. You should only remain friends with this person if she is willing to accept your NEW LIFE in Christ. If she’s truly accepting, then she is indeed a real friend. Immerse yourself in the joy of your new found faith and share it with her whenever you feel she may be receptive to it. But if she ever begins to attack your faith, or tries to malign it or belittle it in any way, TURN AWAY from her. You’ll need to be a very experienced Christian to properly engage her in debate, so don’t even go there!

Hi Peter, I have had a psychic friend for 20yrs. She is also Catholic and we have gone to church together at times when we travel together. Our main interest has been to go out dancing and meet guys who like to dance and socialize. We both like to talk about our families and our personal problems. We sometimes pray together when one of us is having a hard time in life.

Just because a person has psychic abilities it doesn’t mean that they are evil if you have known them a long time as a friend.

Of course there are some evil psychics who just want to make money off of you or curse you with their evilness. I stay away from them.

The Catholic Church does approve of people who are considered Sensitives" which means the person has a strong 6th sense.
Some people are born with a strong 6th sense.

My Catholic faith keeps me safe from evil people most of the time. But when I start to sense that someone is not a nice person I stay away from them. If I sense that someone is evil… I run from them as fast as I can. I am able to look into a person’s eyes and can tell if they are evil sometimes. Other times I listen to their lies and I know they are evil.
My 6th sense tells me when someone is a very nice person…nomatter what religion they belong to.
My strong belief in the Catholic Church keeps me safe from evil or negative people.

Just because your friend is psychic doesn’t mean they are evil.
Just tell your friend that your Catholic religion doesn’t approve of psychic readings. Your friend will respect that… and if not… you will have to let go of the friendship.

This is a tough subject and maybe I have made some strong statements here but it is only the tip of the iceberg because I could say so much more.
I am a mature older woman who has been going through life and learning new things as I move on through the years in my life.

Thanks for the comments.
I will continue my e-mail friendship with her - I feel I shouldnt ‘run away’ from this - after all maybe its her who needs re-direction, not sure yet how shes feeling.
Good to get comments, they were very helpful in my final decision and approach.
petermn

Sorry, I just have to ask the obvious—if she is a true psychic, wouldn’t she already know you are becoming Catholic? :wink:

Hi Turtle, Psychics are NOT ALL KNOWING!! They don’t know everything about a person or…ABOUT THEMSELVES and what is coming up for them good or bad. They can only pick up bits and pieces about a person and sometimes they can also be wrong about the information.

My psychic friend has had so many major problems in her life that she and I didn’t know what her future problems would be. She is a normal person with having to face problems without knowing what her own future holds. Many psychics have had terrible lives.

Then there are psychics who have great lives because they can use their abilities to help others by working in the Social Services, and medical field of work. They try to keep their psychic abilities a secret from others because they don’t want to be called evil.
I have another psychic friend who keeps her abilities a secret.
She is very active in her church. She recently became ill where she needed surgery and she didn’t know that was going to happen to her.
So… you see Turtle…pyschics are not all knowing.

We all have our problems whether we are psychic or not. My psychic friend doesn’t know everything about me eventhough we have been friends for years.

Catechism of the Catholic Church" (paragraphs 2115-2117): "God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility. All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity. "

Red Rose, you are soooo right. Well said. Amen, Lucy

James Randi has a million dollar prize for anyone that can under a double blind test support thier claims of the supernatural.

If your freind is truely psychich he can win this award of recognition…

If he is not you then no longer have your problem of wondering if you should communicate with a psychic…

We could extend this debate to another area but it may not be appropriate. Just to say that before my enlightenment into Christianity I did some media work with mediums, psychics and mystics etc. It is without doubt that some of them appear to have an insight into the mind of others. Actually it is my belief that some sensitives can read minds and that is exactly what a ‘good psyvhic’ is doing when they do a reading or speak of amazing things that the client in doing in life, they base thier predictions on the information they pick up from the client - but essentially they are reading the mind NOT predicting the future, same rule goes for mediums claiming to speak with the dead.
Whether or not this practice is in accordance to God’s law is under question as some of these people were lovely individuals but others seemed lost and disturbed in thier abilities.
I now choose not to ‘dabble’ or even interact with such people as I have discovered the wonder of the full Christian Catholic faith.
That is why I was curious to hear what fellow Christians had to say about my old friend getting back in touch.
Thanks again for the comments

No please don’t you might be opening a door to something you’re not prepared to deal with or something is might be hard to close the door on. :eek:

I am happy that, at this point in your Christian walk, you are choosing not to re-establish your friendship with your psychic friend. As you mentioned, right now you need to establish strong relationships with other Christians who are committed to God.
I became convert to the Catholic faith twenty years ago, and am surrounded with friendships of like-minded people. I do have a friend, whom I see about every six months, who is very, very funny, and we get along splendidly, but she is an ex-Catholic, and virulently anti-Catholic. (And her daughter is involved in Wicca, no less.) But my faith life is stable, and I feel that my life, as a Christian witness, can be an example to her. Even so, I would not see her more frequently than that.

I have a guarded friendship with the neighbor across the street. She is an ex-Catholic and claims she is psychic, a medium and comes from a long line of witches in her family! She is totally deluded spiritually but she is the kindest, most giving neighbor in the nieghborhood. She was, also, thinking about converting to Mormonism. Recently, she asked me to watch her house while she was out of town. I planted Miraculous Medals around her property. I avoid socializing with her for any long periods but when I do I always tell her when she is wrong, charitably, and try to steer her in the right direction. I, also, pray for her conversion daily. She has given up on the Mormon idea. She said she would like to go to mass with me someday. I, also, gave her some blessed Miraculous Medals to put around her house and a Green Scapular. Three days ago, she told me the " energy" in her house feels so warm and protecting! I wonder why?

I don’t believe in shunning people because of their spiritual paths. May be I’m wrong.

Paul

I don’t get shunning friends for such a reason. Aren’t we supposed to set good examples? Just because you are now converting to Catholcism doesn’t mean you should knock out any of your non-Catholic friends. When we are friendly to people from different walks of life, we are doing a good thing. Besides, it doesn’t mention that your friend is trying to drag you into some cult or anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.