Should I confess this or not?

If you touch yourself when you are not conscious do you need to confess? I remember that on Friday at a certain point during the night I felt my hand in a place where it should not have been. I wasn’t conscious, I was half asleep, in the process of waking up, and probably still somewhat dreaming. I moved away my hand in the exact moment I gained my consciousness back and realized what was happening. I had a problem with touching myself for years but now I am one year completely clean, I absolutely don’t do it when I am awake and conscious, so I was thinking if maybe my body misses it and so when I am sleeping it still happens? Do I need to confess and also what can I do to avoid this from happening when I am asleep? Should I bind my hands in a way they can’t reach that part of my body? Thank you for your help:)

I would say no You had no control and did it completely subconsciously, plus you stopped once you had control, therefore it can’t be a sin.

Is that s serious question?

Should you confess this? Um…you just did.

You’ve not done anything wrong. You can’t control what your body does when you sleep.

Are you scrupulous?

The devil is slick and will use any opportunity to influence you when you are at your weakest. He can’t do much to you when you are awake and fully using your will against him. So what I did was, I said this prayer before I went to sleep:

Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit: Lord Jesus, receive my soul. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ crucified, I lay me down to rest. Bless me, O Lord, and defend me; preserve me from a sudden and unprovided death and from all dangers, and bring me to life everlasting with you.

@anneramones

A friend of mine was feeling embarrassed even to confess it, to a priest .but the priest gave a wounder advice ,he said if it happens in our sub-conscious mind while we are asleep,its not a sin,since we are not conscious,if we are conscious then its a sin( to sin we are to be conscious) .and if we are semi-conscious, but not full consent to sin, you can make your own judgement on this, pray and take the decision with a good conscience.asking Jesus to forgive you trusting in his mercy, we can receive Holy Communion,but if you feel you sinned while in sub-conscious mind, then don’t receive Holy communion,so our conscience won’t prick us or hurt or have any guilty feeling.Therefore if you keep thinking lustful thoughts before sleeping more or less you’ll end up in wet dreams,lust is one of the 7 most deadly sins. wet Dreams

There is a verse in the bible which mentions it
Jude 1:8 Yet in the same way these dreamers also defile the flesh, reject authority, and slander the glorious ones.

Psalms 119:9 How can young people keep their way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;do not let me stray from your commandments.11 I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.12 Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes.13 With my lips I declare all the ordinances of your mouth.14 I delight in the way of your decrees as much as in all riches.

Pray before you could sleep keep keep holy thoughts before sleeping try to say the Rosary and ask the intercession of your patron saints and the guardians angles

Yes it is. Considering Jesus said “ if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.” I think binding them behind my back so I don’t sin is not that bad in the end :confused:

But you’re not sinning. You can’t help what you do when you sleep, therefore you cannot sin.

closed #10

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.