Should I confront Catholics about their sins?

Should it be my duty to confront Catholics that think it’s ok to sin (or don’t realise they are sinning) and should I explain to people why it’s wrong to keep sinning and going to confession with no real remorse?
I know I shouldn’t judge but their soul is in danger.
I do remember to pray for them also.
What do you think?

I think that the use of the word “confront” is troubling in your post.

If you have a relationship with someone that is personal enough to discuss these things, then it is certainly a good idea to bring up the faith in general, and perhaps the item in question, and gently talk with someone about their situation. The key is gently and talk, not “confront” or “reprimand”.

If they are not responsive or rebuff your attempt to talk about it, do not persist.

Be an example, pray for them, and perhaps again at another time they may be more open to talking. You can always say, “if you ever change your mind…” or “if you ever want to talk more about that…”

:thumbsup:

I also have trouble with the word confront. I would not raise the issue. We cannot know the contents of one’s mind and heart. Some people are faithful but hiding behind a cavalier attitude about sin. It isn’t much different from our urges to “fit in” when we are young. You simply can’t know.

Pray for them and if they ask you a question, answer them in as truthful and GENTLE a way as possible. You are in a position to give this friend the benefit of your example. If you come on too strong you risk turning your friend away from the faith even more. That would be terrible!

Your friend is lucky to have such a caring friend!

“Admonish the Sinner”: The third spiritual work of mercy.

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=8158

If you confront me about my sins, Not much will happen.

If you sit me down, and calmly and logically talk to me and take the time to minister to me and to educated me and to do these things out of love. Logically and theological then we probably BOTH will become more holy.:wink:

Be careful! Like it or not, sinning is someone’s personal business, sort of like picking ones nose.
While it is unpleasant to be around those who sin in public, unless what they are doing is completely gross, leave them alone. All you will do is cause resentment and possibly violence against you.
If you are really a good friend of the person or have a relationship with them, and they are a believer in G*d, you might tactfully caution them. Otherwise, you would do well to butt out!

How would you know that they are “confessing with no real remorse?”

:thumbsup: (I think the forum should have an option whereby my thumbs up automatically follows all of 1ke’s posts ;)).

It is all about the relationship. I know I wouldn’t want someone coming up to me and reprimanding me for all my sins. I know I’m a sinner. I’m working on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m starting to think more and more about the centrality of Jesus in all of these things. Talk about the faith whenever the opportunity arises, but always remember that Jesus is the starting point. And the ending point. And the center point. Don’t lead with “You’re doing this and it’s wrong”. Lead with, “Let me show you Jesus.” Only after encountering Jesus will the sinfulness of the act in question become far more apparent to them.

I believe this is what Pope Francis has been trying to do through his pontificate. It’s not that the moral issues are unimportant. They most certainly are important. But until people come to meet Jesus, they are often far less open to what the Catholic moral teaching has to say.

Take the long view. It’s not about confronting people and getting them to change their external behavior so that it all lines up with the Catholic rulebook. It’s about conversion. Be a joyful witness. Introduce them to Jesus. Pray for them. Pray with them. If conversion happens, then the rest will fall into place.

We are called to admonish the sinner, not confront them with their sins. Praying for them, and demonstrating with your own actions will be much more effective.

(I think the forum should have an option whereby my thumbs up automatically follows all of 1ke’s posts ).

I have never, not one single time disagreed with 1ke. I actually think she is a bot from the Pope himself. A Catholic HAL.

Jesus did this all the time. In fact, that’s why He came here among His people. He did it with love. I think that if we see someone sinning we might ask them why they think it’s ok to do what they are doing. Then we can, since all sin involves a lack of love, show how love is the better answer. And even if they think that they are doing what they are doing because of love (living together before marriage for example) we can expound on how commitment is a better expression of that love. So, I wouldn’t “confront” anyone as that would come off as judgmental. Just continue to be great example and interject love whenever you can. It is very hard for someone to witness love and be offended. They can disagree but they won’t feel cast out.

It is very possible to admonish the sinner without being judgmental or confrontational. Subtlty is called for … mixed with the obvious sense of good will. Aside from forgiving sins, that is the role of the priest in the confessional. But anyone can do it, and the best experience I have had with being admonished is by an elderly and kindly nun.

WOW! I think you need to look in the magnifying mirror and pluck that log out of your eye before you move on. I cannot imagine that Papa Francis would ever even consider uttering aloud that another Catholic has not made a true confession. It is exactly this kind of attitude of “more Catholic than the Pope” that sends struggling Catholics and those thinking of conversion, running quickly away from Holy Mother Church. It appears that you really want to help others so befriend those in need and try to live out the Gospels and Corporal Works of Mercy instead of setting yourself up as judge and jury. I’ll pray for you to find joy in others, even if they might not be the perfect Catholic.:rolleyes:

Just a little clarification. Publicly the Pope would not do that but remember he is a priest, bishop and confessor. I’m sure he probably HAS withheld absolution for someone. That is a priests JOB!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: (Matt. 7:1-7)

Why not start by confronting yourself over your own sinfulness.

Then, when you take your own admonishment to heart, you will be presenting a firm but charitable example with which they may change their hearts and their ways!

Peace and all good!

That’s what I want to know, too.

And ‘sin?’ What sin? Some people want you to believe it’s a sin to breathe.

What is bot and HAL?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.