Should I Consider A Vocation?

I've posted on here before but though to again. I'm 19 now, and a baptized non-denominational Christian. I no longer attend church and worship in the privacy of my bedroom as the rest of the family are not too fond of the Christian faith and are of another faith. I never seek to push it on them though, as that would only cause problems in the household.

As a high school student I thought I was called. I was surprised to see a nun at the movie theatre I had worked with, and to play one in a high school production of Tracks. This was all during my senior year. I continue as I did through high school, without the feeling of needing to be married to a earthly man. It just never occurred to me to even be anything more than friends. I will admit I do think like other girls when it comes to actors,etc. though I no those feelings may trickle into my fiction writing but are not real in any way.

I do however feel the desire for children. I love babies and little kids. And I am currently hoping to be a high school teacher or a professor in English. I also will tell you I have multiple learning disabilities and a physical one (which basically kills endurance and balance). I know I could never make it this far without God's help.

I, my senior year of high school remember watching a video on St. Therese and thinking how wonderful it must be to be that happy and at peace. And yet she gave herself back to the world. I cried at the end as she lay dying and still managed to take joy in her pain. And I think I realize again that I still hope for that feeling.

I am not currently Catholic though would like to know more about the faith. Going to a Catholic Church,etc. is out of my reach until I graduate college in another three years and get an apartment. But, what do you make of this? Is this feeling for wanting children perhaps built on the need to love others as my own? Should I still consider becoming a nun?

I know these are hard questions to answer for many. But, your answers are all I really have to help me out of this confusion. So, please if you could tell me what you think I'd be grateful. Thank you.

. Going to a Catholic Church,etc. is out of my reach until I graduate college in another three years and get an apartment. But, what do you make of this? Is this feeling for wanting children perhaps built on the need to love others as my own? Should I still consider becoming a nun? /QUOTE]

Hi there! I'm going to make this short, because I think its called for here.

It's fantastic that you want to do the will of the Lord. However, it sounds like you are confused - which is expected, and there is nothing anybody here can say to sort that out because hey, sometimes life is confusing. You need to continue praying and living as the Lord tells you to.

As for a vocation, I highlighted the part in bold because, well, I think for now you are mistaking a zeal and passion ot become catholic for a calling to the religious life. It may not be so, but lets take it one step at a time. Most religious orders require you have been an active Catholic (sacramentally and in other areas I think) for at least 2 years before they accept you.It makes sense to do this!

As with a lot of people who come on here (myself included a while ago) you sound slightly worried, or anxious.

Try to remember that the Lord never worries nor makes you anxious. He comforts and calms. This is all coming from you, deep inside yourself. And it can in fact be a sin - stressing over such things shows no hope and trust in your heavenly Father! So my advice is the following:

• Take it easy, live each day as it comes
  • Get yourself to RCIA and learn about the faith
  • Start praying some 'Catholic' prayers (Rosary, Divine chaplet, Divine Office)
  • Go to Mass
  • Speak to a Priest or a Nun
  • Know that if you are praying and asking God to do His will - you will be fine!

God Bless and I hope this helps :)

Hi friend,

I think the above advice is excellent.

If I understand right, you are a college student. Many U.S. colleges and universities have Newman Centers that provide for students spiritually with Mass, instruction in the faith, spiritual direction, etc. If you can't get there physically for some reason, you might consider calling or e-mailing the staff there to find out what is available to you.

[quote="catherine126, post:3, topic:216730"]
Hi friend,

I think the above advice is excellent.

If I understand right, you are a college student. Many U.S. colleges and universities have Newman Centers that provide for students spiritually with Mass, instruction in the faith, spiritual direction, etc. If you can't get there physically for some reason, you might consider calling or e-mailing the staff there to find out what is available to you.

[/quote]

That would be great...if I was allowed too. I still live with my parents who are NOT fond of the Catholic faith (Baptists are included as well). If they found out I was doing such a thing well...it might not be pretty. My only resource is basically online through my laptop. That's why I'm backed into asking these questions on here.

People in your situation make me grateful that I was born into the faith. Anyway, I would suggest delving more deeply into the Roman Catholic faith. Besides the converting part, I think it is possible to love children and be a sister. As a sister it would be quite easy for you to reach out to even more children then if you were a biological mother. I think converting is the biggest step, the rest you can pray over and consider. I wish you all the best. If you have any questions regarding the faith or vocations, I would be more than glad to help. God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.