Should I continue to breastfeed my 1 year old son?

I was planning on weaning my son in the spring of this year, once flu season is over.

However, now that I"m back at work and seeing his little face when I come home, extended breastfeeding is becoming more attractive to me. As soon as I walk in the door, DS crawls to me whining and anxious to reconnect with me via breastfeeding. He breastfeeds for about 20 minutes and looks up at me with such a happy face.

I don't think I'll be ready to stop at 15 months, but I'm also afraid of what people may think if they see me breastfeed an 18 month old. I know that the longer I breastfeed him, the harder it will be to wean him.

I really love the bond and my son really loves it too. He doesn't need to breastfeed at night or to go to sleep, so it's really not a problem for us.

I may desire to continue breastfeeding him until maybe age two, but I'm afraid of what others may think. I guess maybe I'll have to only breastfeed him at home, so others don't see me breastfeeding a toddler?

These days it isn't uncommon at all to nurse up until age 2, and beyond. I don't think people will thInk you are weird. I nursed all of my kids at least 20 months, and my youngest just weaned himself at 28 months. Most of the time by 18 months nursing is just for comfort and bonding, before bed and the like, so there's no reason you would need to nurse in public if you didn't want to. If you enjoy having the bond of nursing I don't think you should stop based on what other people may think :)

People tend to have strong opinions about the topic, but there is no medical or psychological reason to stop at one year. I personally would not judge someone for breastfeeding longer if they and their babies want to. Maybe reading more on the subject and reaching out to other moms who do extended breastfeeding can help you feel better about making a decision.

I meant to add, that I think of extended breastfeeding as being past age 2, not before. After all the WHO recommends nursing until at least age 2.

Out of three kids the youngest to wean was almost 18 months. That weaning was the hardest, because I needed to take a medication that was no good for nurslings.

DS 2 will be 2 soon, we haven't weaned yet. He seems to be self weaning... :shrug:

Why not continue if he likes it?

Mine weaned at 13, 17, and 22 months... mostly on their own...
There's no arbitrary reason to stop... keep going. :)

You should continue to do what is best for you and your son. If you feel it is too soon to stop, then don't. Extended Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing for both baby and mom. Don't worry about people thinking you are weird, you are doing what God has ordained you to do and that is being a great mom. I commend you for recognizing that your son still wants to bond with you this way, I know that we will never meet in real life, but I can tell from this post that you are a great mother!

If it's working for you and your son, keep going! :thumbsup:

I'm currently still nursing my 3 year old, mostly nap time and if he gets a boo-boo. It's still working for us. If it starts bugging me, I'll gently wean him. This is the longest I've breastfed any of my children and it doesn't feel weird at all, it's what he's needed.

[quote="Serap, post:1, topic:225759"]
I know that the longer I breastfeed him, the harder it will be to wean him.

[/quote]

Actually, not true. If you're paying attention to your child's signals (often referred to as "child-led weaning"), there will come a time when he no longer wants to nurse (and the nursing will just drop off in frequency until it just doesn't happen any more). Take that from someone who nursed my oldest until he was 19mo, middle son nursed until he was 29 mo (and I honestly think he only stopped because my milk vanished as I was then pregnant with the twins), and the twins both continued until they were 28mo--so I have been there, done that. :)

Do what you think is right for your child, and don't worry about what "everyone else" might think. Trust me, when it comes to parenting, there will always be a contingent of people who disapprove of your parenting choices no matter what they might be. Just remember that you are the parent, so go ahead and seek advice when you're undecided; but once you've made your decision, stick with it.

So in answer to your question (and based on the info in the post), yes.

I say BF until they really start to wean themselves. Our of 4 sons my wife BF each of them different lengths, between 11 and 18 month depending on the child.

Do what feels right for you and him as long as he is healthy and growing who cares what anyone else thinks, it's not about them it's about you and the beautiful gift of motherhood!

Joe

My kids self-weaned around 16 months.

wow! thanks so much for all of the compliments!

I will take the advice of this thread and wean my son when he is ready. I am not planning on having anymore children and I love seeing his little happy face when he's breastfeeding.

I weaned my DD at 11 months from day feeding and she was ready. I then breastfed her just before bed until she was 22 months old (b/c I was pregnant and it hurt).

Come to think of it, my DD was ready when I stopped completely b/c there were times when DH would put her to bed and she didn't miss the breast at all. This would have been once she was past 18 months old.

[quote="Jennifer_J, post:8, topic:225759"]

I'm currently still nursing my 3 year old, mostly nap time and if he gets a boo-boo. It's still working for us. If it starts bugging me, I'll gently wean him. This is the longest I've breastfed any of my children and it doesn't feel weird at all, it's what he's needed.

[/quote]

Isn't it funny that I'm now asking for advice not to stop breastfeeding after I had all the breastfeeding issues when DS was an infant this time last year???

Funny how things work out :D

[quote="Melissa, post:9, topic:225759"]
Actually, not true. If you're paying attention to your child's signals (often referred to as "child-led weaning"), there will come a time when he no longer wants to nurse (and the nursing will just drop off in frequency until it just doesn't happen any more). Take that from someone who nursed my oldest until he was 19mo, middle son nursed until he was 29 mo (and I honestly think he only stopped because my milk vanished as I was then pregnant with the twins), and the twins both continued until they were 28mo--so I have been there, done that. :)

Do what you think is right for your child, and don't worry about what "everyone else" might think. Trust me, when it comes to parenting, there will always be a contingent of people who disapprove of your parenting choices no matter what they might be. Just remember that you are the parent, so go ahead and seek advice when you're undecided; but once you've made your decision, stick with it.

So in answer to your question (and based on the info in the post), yes.

[/quote]

Good to know. Thnks

[quote="Jeninky, post:7, topic:225759"]
You should continue to do what is best for you and your son. If you feel it is too soon to stop, then don't. Extended Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing for both baby and mom. Don't worry about people thinking you are weird, you are doing what God has ordained you to do and that is being a great mom. I commend you for recognizing that your son still wants to bond with you this way, I know that we will never meet in real life, but I can tell from this post that you are a great mother!

[/quote]

Thanks so much! I try!! ;)

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:5, topic:225759"]
Out of three kids the youngest to wean was almost 18 months. That weaning was the hardest, because I needed to take a medication that was no good for nurslings.

DS 2 will be 2 soon, we haven't weaned yet. He seems to be self weaning... :shrug:

Why not continue if he likes it?

[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. We both love it :thumbsup:

I think that’s why we’ve gone for so long. We had a rough beginning with overactive let down and nursing wasn’t relaxing and nice for us for quite a long time.

Hi Serap!

Way too go with the nursing :) I think you've got some great advice here! I'm still nursing too, and it is such a great way to reconnect after being apart that I'm not giving it up until he's good and ready! (which doesn't seem like it's going to be anytime soon :D )

[quote="TamM, post:18, topic:225759"]
Hi Serap!

Way too go with the nursing :) I think you've got some great advice here! I'm still nursing too, and it is such a great way to reconnect after being apart that I'm not giving it up until he's good and ready! (which doesn't seem like it's going to be anytime soon :D )

[/quote]

Dang straight!!!!

If someone questions me, I think I'll say, "I create milk...what's your superpower???"

[quote="Jennifer_J, post:8, topic:225759"]

[/quote]

I nursed my oldest until almost 4, my youngest to 3 1/2 , middle to only 8 months (I got pregnant and guess things were changing)....however, my point, they all weaned when they were ready.

I, too, highly encourage OP to allow the child to continue...he will let you know when it is time to stop.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.