Should I convert to the Roman Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox Church?

I been researching for quite some time. And I can’t decide wether to decide to convert to the Catholic or Orthodox churches. They are both really similar and they both look really good. They both look like accurate churches that Christ made. I have a very bad problem of making decisions and it makes me stressed out so please help me decide which church to convert and why.

Have you looked into Eastern Catholicism?

You beat me to it.

Ya, but there are only 2 Roman Catholic and 1 Orthodox churches near me:

A Catholic is, of course, going to tell you to join the Catholic Church. An Eastern Orthodox person will likely tell you that his church is somehow more orthodox. Strangers on the internet can hardly make such a decision for you.

How long have you been attending each one?

Why not attend Mass at both for a while. See where your heart lies.

And also sign up for Catholic RCIA classes. They run for some time. There is no hurry in discerning how you are called to worship God

Simply going is not enough. I need information on why I should go. What councils, or try to persuade to me in detail about which church to convert.

We cannot persuade you. The Conversion must come from your heart. You must be silent and listen to God. Pray. A lot

There is a large thread on Eastern Catholicism. I suggest reading it, it deals with Apostolic Succession. , schism or not, and other issues. Read what Don Ruggero and Eastern Catholics have to say.
Not sure if it’s been locked yet. It’s about the Pope and Eastern Catholicism

https://youtu.be/G-57-XAxEYM

This video by Brian Holdsworth “Why I never became Eastern Orthodox” might help.

I’d go with Roman Catholic but that’s because I am one, however I will tell you like others here to follow your heart as any genuine conversion must come from within. Belief happens naturally, you can’t force someone into believing in something.

If you still can’t feel the push towards one, then just wait. Don’t rush into it and potentially force yourself into the “wrong” one. Instead be patient and keep researching (and praying, lots of prayer) both until your gut tells you which path God has put you on.

-With the kindest regards, James.

Well I have been leaning towards Roman Catholicism because of all the councils and reconciliation they tried to have with the eastern church. The Catholics were trying to reconcile with the eastern church in the councils of Lyon and the councils of Florence but that failed. But the majority of the east doesn’t want to reconcile with the west, so that’s why I’m leaning towards Roman Catholicism because they’re to make a unified church like the old times.

Have you attended Mass or Divine Liturgy yet?

Download the Relevent radio app or go to Releventradio.com. Many great resources there.

I will tell you, the Orthodox love separation. Orthodox sects are so separated because each sect feels they are the true church. Also Orthodox don’t believe in the infallibility of the pope but do recognize him as an authority figure.

I would say Catholicism is the best way to go. Plus, the perk of being Catholic is that you can attend any Latin or Eastern Catholic rite liturgy and validly recieve the Eucharist. You can also adopt Eastern rite practices or Latin rite practices in your personal devotional time. As a Catholic you kind of get the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately no-one can tell you which to join! I’d recommend going to different Catholic Churches (not necessarily the closest) and to go to different Orthodox Churches (again not necessarily the closest) and see where the Lord leads you! How comfortable are you there worshiping? Do you feel part of the community? Are the people welcoming? Do they have ministries you can see being part of? Are there young people present or does it seem to be a dying church? I was born into the Roman Catholic Church but no longer felt comfortable within the Roman Rite and after many years of attending an Eastern Rite Catholic Church: the Maronite Catholic Church (which recognizes the Pope as its head) I formally transferred rites on March 17th of this year at a formal ceremony!

There are other rites but they’re in the cities near by mine, in the city I live in, i only have 2 Roman Catholic Churches, 1 Eastern Orthodox Church.

From a Roman Catholic, I say become a Roman Catholic. But of course since I’m Catholic I say this. It has helped me and improved my life. May God bless you to find the Truth!

I’m leaning towards Catholicism but the only thing that bothers me about Catholicism is all the bad things they did like the sack of Constantinople or how they treat science very harshly and you would get punished for making new things up like the hellocentric theory. But in the modern times it’s super conservative, but it was historically different in the past and it just keeps bothering me about Catholicism.

I would convert to the Roman Catholic Church, because IMO I don’t think Eastern Orthodoxy is sustainable without the authority of the Bishop of Rome to pin it together.

“Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.