Should I Disobey the Priest?

I know what you mean. I asked my hairdresser (who is a native Spanish speaker) to write down what she had said to me. She wrote “benir, benimos” which I immediately recognized to be the Latin equivalent of venire, venimus (come, we come). The confusion in this case comes from the fact that “b” and “v” have the exact same pronunciation in Spanish.

Yes, and amazing how many hispanics have no clue which words are spelled with “b” and which are spelled with “v”. I can’t understand this, as Spanish is a third language for me and the spelling has never been a problem.

Elizabeth
As I was preparing to compliment you on your creative solution and even more excellent attitude, I suddenly recalled that I have heard something like this done for years at my local parish. So I checked with my (now retired) organist and choir director wife and she went to her music library and in less than 30 seconds handed me a copy of the very sheet music. It is titled *A Christmas Gloria *by Paul Gibson and published by OCP. Checking further then at ocp.org i found that several versions of the sheet music as well as an MP3 can be downloaded for $1.29 each. (Note: I am not affilated in any way with OCP and would receive no compensation for this referral:D)

I realize that you may or may not care for this arrangement but thought it might possibly be of help in your particular situation, especially at this late date. Regardless, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas liturgy and I commend you again for your approach.

Why do priests do this?

The problem then becomes, the priest is asking her, as part of her employment, to violate her Faith.

Pastor Aeternus ( Vatican I) clearly upholds the authority of Liturgicam Authenticam, and to be forced to withhold the obedience that Church teaching requires, would be a violation of both Civil and Church law.

Wherefore we teach and declare that, by divine ordinance, the Roman Church possesses a pre-eminence of ordinary power over every other Church, and that this jurisdictional power of the Roman Pontiff is both episcopal and immediate. Both clergy and faithful, of whatever rite and dignity, both singly and collectively, are bound to submit to this power by the duty of hierarchical subordination and true obedience, and this not only in matters concerning faith and morals, but also in those which regard the discipline and government of the Church throughout the world.

Is “the current Hispanic priest” the pastor? It sounds to me like the priest was just making a request at a few minutes before Mass. He didn’t argue with you when you politely told him that the song is not the proper Gloria even though he may have been disappointed. But it is your job as music director to make sure that things are liturgically correct. This is not a matter of being obedient or disobedient to this simple request.

Because they can.
Simple as that.
And no, they don’t send spies from the chancery. :rolleyes:

Makes me appreciate my liturgically correct priest all the more. God love him.

Awesome, thank you! And I appreciate your compliments about my attitude. Although I can assure you that Saturday night when the priest first told me about the change, I definitely did NOT have a good attitude (internally) :). Unfortunately it affected me during Mass, but I did manage to pull myself together enough to offer my communion for him and to pray for the orthodoxy of all priests.

If this had been the first weird thing he had ever done, I think I would have felt differently. But it’s just another in a long list of oddities and outright abuses of the GIRM.

Brendan, thanks so much for the reference to Pastor Aeternus. It’s a real help to me to have knowledge of as many Church resources as possible, so I can defend my position if necessary and so I can prepare a proper complaint when the time comes to voice my concerns about this priest.

Zab, the hispanic priest is not the pastor, thank goodness. He’s just the current priest assigned to the hispanic ministry at this parish. He’s one of several we’ve had over the years, from the same country, and of the same mindset. They label themselves charismatic, and all but one of them have severely bent the rubrics of the Mass. No clue why the parish pastor doesn’t attend Mass to “check” on them, but I guess it’s because he doesn’t speak Spanish. The pastor is very orthodox, thanks be to God.

Thanks for everything, guys. It’s a huge comfort to feel supported and that I’m not bad or crazy (as I’ve been made to feel at times). Best wishes to everyone for a peaceful and Holy Christmas. Especially to the musicians out there! :wink:

Doesn’t the parish sign his paycheque?

That’s not how the clergy deal with each other.
If someone at the chancery had a real problem with it, he would hear about it.
Likely, since he’s the only Spanish speaking priest, they really need him, and they permit him to do like it is done in his native country. What is considered liturgical abuse in North America is not considered so in other countries. Why? no clue. The rubrics seem really clear. But I have come across many shall we say “inconsistencies” with clergy from other places. It’s the Bishop’s call. And he’ll be sure to tell you so :highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.