Should I do anything about my class watching the anti-Catholic King Arthur movie?

**I’ve never seen the movie before, but I looked in up online, and there were many comments saying that it’s anti-Catholic.

Today we started the movie. A bishop who comes to Arthur and his knights is really disgusting; he’s rude and very political. And I read in articles that there’s more to come.

Should I say anything to my teacher (Ironically, she’s Catholic too and goes to my Church.) Or is the movie not that bad?

THANKS for advice

Well, I guess the first question is, which King Arthur film are we talking about? And what class are you watching it for?

Now that being said, it certainly is not necessarily anti-Catholic to have a rude and political bishop. Even a cursory examination of history will show that there have been priests, bishops and even popes were not only rude and political, but also extremely immoral people.

Bill

King Arthur (2004)

The bishop is supposed to be Saint Germanus.

For English.

Ah, I see now… Yeah… can you object to the film as being complete and total tripe that bears little resemblance to any of the major literary versions of the story and even less resemblance to anything involving actual history?

Well, I wouldn’t want to pretend that I knew more history than my teacher.
AND my class CHOSE that movie. It was either that or another movie relating to Kind Arthur (Maybe Excalibur?).

But anyway, are their legit reasons to object to it as anti-Catholic? Do you think it is?

Yes, it’s blatantly anti-Catholic. I was absolutely insulted by it. I think my favorite part was when they were looking for “so and so” and they were told that he was in “The Monastary” and the reaction from everyone was absolute terror as if “The Monastary” was the absolute worst place in the entire universe that anyone could possibly be. They went inside and found Catholic Monks torturing poor innocent people (including one of the future movie heros) for absolutely no reason. One of the characters said, “Hey you, stop doing that.” and of course, this brain dead, slack jawed, drooling moron of a Catholic immediate complied and stood there looking as stupid as possible. It was pathetic.

Anyway to address your question. Yes, you should do something about it. You can either request that it not be shown or point out the anti-Catholocism in it and the absolute absurdity of it.

OKay thanks for the adivce.

I think the best thing for me to do would be to email my teacher and ask her to tell all the classes that the movie is anti-Catholic. Maybe I should ask her to tell everyone who that bishop really was (now a saint).

I’m concerned for them, of course. I don’t want anyone to have a bad impression of the Church.

The thing is is that I’m shy, so I don’t know how to email her. What should I say?
I REALLY don’t want her to tell everyone that I e-mailed her. So do you have any more advice?

Thank you.

Oh, yes, I saw that movie on TV recently.

It also has nothing to do with the original Arthur story. I felt like I was watching a Jesus Seminar interpretation of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :whacky:

And don’t forget that the film puts the heretic Pelagius on a pedestal.:takethat:

Blessings

So what do you think I should do? Thanks

Tell your teacher that it will probably just completely confuse the students, when they come to actually study the real story of King Arthur.

Well, define the real story of King Arthur? Are we talking the Mabinogion, The History of the Kings of Britain, The Works of Chreitian de Troyes, Mallory, etc…?

There is no real story, but certainly, it takes modern cinema to make the story Anti-Catholic.

Bill

I was thinking Mallory, but I’m guessing the movie is completely different than all of them. :smiley:

So what sorts of things should I tell her (If I end up emailing her)? I’ve only seen the part up to the bishop who tells the knights that they must rescue some people for the pope.
What other bad things happen? Is there any historical stuff I can tell her about? Of course, since she’s Catholic, I’m sure she’ll understand where I’m coming from.

By the way, she’s a fan of the Dan Brown books (Da Vinvi Code…), so I don’t know if that shows where her Catholic mind is…

Well lets see, I haven’t seen the movie, but from what I read, it starts about 60 years after the Romans had pulled out of Britain, so its kind of hard to see how Arthur and crew can be Roman Troops.

Bill

It is strongly implied in the movie that Pelagius was excommunicated for teaching that “all men are created equal” and advocating the abolishment of slavery and/or serfdom. In fact, he was condemned for teaching that there is no such thing as Original Sin, and thus, no need for the Sacraments, nor for sanctifying grace.

Is there any historical stuff I can tell her about?

Most of the movie makes absolutely no sense, from an historical or even a common sense point of view.

First, the family they are supposed to rescue is on the north side of Hadrian’s Wall - yet, somehow, they have walls and patios made of marble (marble comes from Italy; they would have needed roads and carts to transport it; neither of which existed on that side of the Wall, in that time period).

The Villa is full of valuable stuff - gold, gems, etc. - yet, for some reason, the Celts have never come raiding, despite the fact that the guards are native men who’ve been enslaved, who are obviously not treated very respectfully by their master. :shrug:

The battle scene three days later also makes absolutely no sense, since although when they arrive at the Villa, it seems to be the middle of summer, somehow, three days later when the battle takes place, it is the dead of winter and they are fighting in a blizzard, on ice that is thick enough to walk on. (If you live in a southern climate and your sole experience of ice is in your freezer, you might not be aware that it takes several weeks of sub-freezing temperatures for a large body of water, like that lake, for example, to freeze solid enough to walk on.) :shrug:

Your “English” teacher is a fan of Dan Brown books? Skip the movie, petition to have her moved to gym class, or something. I’d have more faith in her if she said she was a fan of the *Twilight *series!

Opposition is importent to have a sound conscience. Try to reflect on my sig, its pretty profound in how we treat our heros and the ones that are not.

Its importent to see how those outside of the house see the house, this way we can give those on the outside ways to see it for what it really is. Did that make sense?

Overall it does sound like a anti-Catholic movie but what is wrong about a Bishop being political? All religions and religious figures are political in some way! Politics is a fact of life!

Seems relevant:

Bold but brooding retelling of the Arthurian legend in which the once and future king (Clive Owen) is a Roman commanding an elite cavalry unit during the closing days of the Empire, who, along with Guinevere (Keira Knightley), reimagined here as a feisty female warrior, must fend off the savage barbarian hordes bent on conquering Britain. Full of dreary Dark-Age atmospherics and clashing chain-mailed armies, the film, directed by Antoine Fuqua, strips the legend of its storybook romance in favor of gritty, historical realism, but in the process paganizes what has traditionally been a quintessentially Christian myth. Intense battlefield violence, a shadowy sexual encounter, negative representation of church figures and some crude humor. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is L – limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. (PG-13) 2004
)King Arthur

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.