Should I end my relationship with my Mormon boyfriend?

Hi everyone. I am in a relationship with a Mormon guy. It is still very early on in this current relationship but we have dated before and we do love each other. My question is, should I end this relationship? He is a Mormon and does not have any intentions to convert to Catholicism even though he enjoys studying it. So, I am just wondering if it is a wise idea for me to remain in this relationship? What do you think? :shrug::confused:

Well, I, for one, think it’s great that you love this person and he loves you in return. :slight_smile:

I don’t think religious beliefs should get in the way of having a relationship with him, but keep in mind, if you two reach marriage and have children of your own, that’s where the problem will lie. Hopefully, you would be able to work something out.

Ending your relationship, for the sake of differing religions, is not the best idea, but nevertheless, it is entirely up to you.

I wish you and your boyfriend the best of luck.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Thanks. I am honestly not sure if I want to stay with him or not. I want my marriage to be a sacramental marriage. I honestly think I will just break up with him.

Couldn’t you talk to him, first?

I could but it’s too late for that. I already sent him the message. I feel bad now. :frowning:

If you have doubts, I think you are answering your own question. I think people often interpret attraction as love, when it is really no more that two people being emotionally attracted. That is why many relationships and marriages fail…they were attracted to their initial delight, but when the relationship calls for genuine love it fails. Books, films, magazines, songs and poems have a lot to answer for in their misrepresentation of what love actually is.

Anyway, may the Lord guide you. :slight_smile:
God bless you.

It’s never too late to go back and explain. You may have a change of heart.

Ironically Yours. :heart:

Yeah I felt the same way. That and besides, I know that having a Mormon boyfriend would only tempt me to rejoin the Mormon church and I don’t want to do that.

You are right. However, I already explained myself in my message to him. He’s not responding to my messages so I will wait for him to respond before I talk to him again if he chooses to talk to me.

Holly, I think you’ve hit on the reason not to continue with this relationship. Given your problems and going back and forth with Mormonism, this relationship would just add serious force to your temptation.

:hug1: Hugs for when you feel despair, depression, and doubt, should the devil attack you with them after breaking up.

Continue to trust in God. If He wills you to become a wife and mommy, He will make you one! So ask Him to make you a saint. :slight_smile:

Dear Holly

It can work but is all too often a lot of headaches. I’m not called to marriage but if I was it would only be to a practising catholic. I don’t see how it could work otherwise.

God bless and peace to you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

I agree FCEGM. It would add serious force to my temptation. And that is why I have chosen not to stay in a relationship with him.

Thank you Eucharisted. I am trying my best to stay out of mortal sin since I just went to confession about 30 minutes ago. I also received the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick for my mental disorders and I received the Eucharist as well. I am feeling quite well right now. :smiley:

Hi John Russell Jr. I am also not sure if I am called to marriage or not. I just get so tired of being single sometimes. I get so lonely you know. But then, I guess that sometimes I might forget that Jesus is always there waiting for me to talk to Him if I need to so I’m never truly alone.

My vocational discernment is a source of much confusion for me. Earlier today I felt called to the convent as I have felt called to the convent many times in the past as well. There have been times before (mostly when in a state of mortal sin) that I feel called to marriage. And then most of the time I think I am called just to live the single life because my borderline personality disorder would make any relationship difficult and it would also make convent life difficult. So I am thinking that perhaps I am just called to singleness and that I am to eventually join a Third Order or something like that. :slight_smile:

Holly, may God bless you with every deepening-strength in the Holy Spirit. :hug1:

Thanks FCEGM. :slight_smile:

Tough question. One which only you can answer.

If you were to marry, would he not only permit you, but support you in raising your children in the RCC? IF not, done deal. Say goodby and move on.

This may be dumb of me to ask:shrug:but how much do you know about Mormonism?

Are you aware that they are a non-Christian Sec? They use some of the same terms we do, but with intirely different understanding of the words.

They do not accept God in the way we do, Jesus was just a “good man”, not the God-man.

They do not accept the concept of heaven and hell.

I could go on. Dear Sister in Christ, your looking for a difficult marriage. It’s your call, but
it’s difficult enough to be married with another Catholic (i’ve been married to a saint for 41 years but it has not all been easy:o, or a Christian of a different communion, but marriage to a non-chrsitian; NOT a good idea, unless he would consider converting?

Pray about it, your soul and the souls of any children you would bring into the world depend on it.

Love and prayers,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.