Should i go to confession again?

Hi everyone,
I went to confession yesterday, and i think i need to go again today because of a sinful thought that i’m pretty sure(it seems like i did) i consented to. I’m not sure i should though because I’ve already been 3 times this week now. I’m thinking there’s a possibility that i’m just giving deliberation with out full consent: I got the temptation to the thought and then just thought it, i think i did fight it some after that. I’m scrupulous and not sure what to do, any advice would be great, thanks!

If you didn't do it intentionally, it's venial. If you can't remember deciding to do it, you probably didn't. I assume you're fairly young - a teenager or young adult. This is age-appropriate stuff - not good, for sure, but to be expected from time to time. The less you think about it, the less often it will happen.

Try reading a good book, or going for a long walk, to get your mind off things. :)

Confession is required only for grave sins.

If this situation presents itself often to you, don't be shy to speak to your confessor and ask for some spiritual direction ;) St. Ignatius describes clearly how necessary this can be for souls, that may sometimes be deceived into excessive sensitivity (I mean, every sin is an offense to the living God, but not every sin brings death to our soul and deprives us of sanctifying grace!) or into excessive lack of sensitivity (disregarding even what is well-known to be gravely sinful). If your experience such times (and I think we all do) it's good to discuss it with a spiritual director.

And there is no shame in confessing two days in a row, or as needed :) God forgives as many times as needed, and if our Mother the Church allows it, then this is not only licit: it is holy. What matters the most is to confess with a truly contrite spirit and a desire to radically turn to Christ. Other than that, only the Lord knows for how long will a cross be carried...remember 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 ;)

[quote="R_C, post:3, topic:316104"]
Confession is required only for grave sins.

If this situation presents itself often to you, don't be shy to speak to your confessor and ask for some spiritual direction ;) St. Ignatius describes clearly how necessary this can be for souls, that may sometimes be deceived into excessive sensitivity (I mean, every sin is an offense to the living God, but not every sin brings death to our soul and deprives us of sanctifying grace!) or into excessive lack of sensitivity (disregarding even what is well-known to be gravely sinful). If your experience such times (and I think we all do) it's good to discuss it with a spiritual director.

And there is no shame in confessing two days in a row, or as needed :) God forgives as many times as needed, and if our Mother the Church allows it, then this is not only licit: it is holy. What matters the most is to confess with a truly contrite spirit and a desire to radically turn to Christ. Other than that, only the Lord knows for how long will a cross be carried...remember 2 Corinthians 12:7-9 ;)

[/quote]

I would always err on the side of confessing too much and too often. The downside isn't nearly as dire as it is for the alternative. Only mortal sins need be confessed to make it to Heaven. But even venial sins, as well as confessed mortal sins for which proper atonement/penance is made in this life, can result in a stint in purgatory. I used to have the impression that purgatory was just a place to cool your heels waiting to make it the rest of the way to Heaven. But I have read some of the saints' writings about how painful the purification process in purgatory is. Keep in mind, before you make it into Heaven, you must be cleansed if all sin.

If you are scrupulous I would go to the same confessor every time. He will notice a pattern and be able to give you direction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.