Should I go to confession?

Please help, I have been in and out of confession in the past couple months and I need some guidance. I am confused on when “masturbation” is a mortal sin and if there are any times where it is not considered mortal. I went to confession yesterday before mass and confessed masturbation and completed my penance. Later when I was getting ready for bed I didn’t have a bra on under my sweatshirt and when the shirt moved I got some sort of sexual arousal. It was not purposely and I had no intention of being sexually aroused. I knew it would happen if I moved again but i went ahead and moved again anyway and just ignored the arousal. Is this a mortal sin? Is this even considered masturbation? I have been worried about little things like this and find myself in confession every week :frowning:

Speak to your confessor. Maybe this might help.

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=3739

Peace

It is always mortal, though in my opinion what you described is nothing. Feelings of arousal are natural. Without them no child would have ever been born. These feelings are not the same as the actual act of masterbation. Once you become truly celibate (or “master of your domain” as they called it on Seinfeld :p), then I believe you can truly grow as a person. The world doesn’t want us to do this which is why it is so sex crazed today. If it continues to be a problem perhaps try different confessors. Once you’re truly shamed over it, you’ll stop.

Merry Christmas. :slight_smile:

It is always mortal, though in my opinion what you described is nothing. Feelings of arousal are natural. Without them no marriage would have ever taken place and no child would have ever been born. These feelings are not the same as the actual act of masterbation. Once one becomes truly celibate (or “master of your domain” as they called it on Seinfeld :p), then I believe one can grow as a person. The world doesn’t want us to do this which is why it is so sex crazed today. If it continues to be a problem perhaps try different confessors. Once you’re truly shamed over it, you’ll stop.

Alas, I am a terrible sinner myself so take what I have to say for what it is worth. Merry Christmas. :slight_smile:

Is my situation even a mortal sin then? I just went to confession yesterday and I don’t want to be back again in such a short amount of time if it’s not mortal. Thanks!

Thanks for this article, it describes me perfectly!

I hear you though I’m afraid I’m not the one to be asking such questions and I cannot really give a definitive answer. “Moving your shirt” doesn’t sound like the act of masturbation to me. Based on what you’ve said I haven’t really much of an idea of what even happened. :shrug: There’s a chance you’re being scrupulous over this, but I cannot really say that for sure either. In the end you have to go by your own conscience and do what you think is best.

I’ll add that a confessor once told me that if we’re in mortal sin we very likely know so. If we’re not sure, then we may not be. This bit of knowledge has been helpful for me.

God Bless. :slight_smile:

I hear you though I’m afraid I’m not the one to be asking such questions and I cannot really give a definitive answer. “Moving your shirt” doesn’t sound like the act of masturbation to me. Based on what you’ve said I haven’t really much of an idea of what even happened. :shrug: There’s a chance you’re being scrupulous over this, but I cannot really say that for sure either. In the end you have to go by your own conscience and do what you think is best.

I’ll add that a confessor once told me that if we’re in mortal sin we very likely know so. If we’re not sure, then we may not be. This bit of knowledge has been helpful for me.

God Bless. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.