Should I go to Reconciliation

I went to reconciliation on Monday. It was the first time I did it face to face with my confessor. And then yesterday I committed a grave sin. I’m not happy about it, I am actually quite upset with myself about it.

Anyways I just confessed that sin on Monday, face to face with the priest. I want to go back to confession so I can take Communion tomorrow but I don’t want Father to be disappointed with me. Should I wait another week and then go in or should I just go and be humbled?

If the sin you committed meets all three conditions for a mortal sin (full consent, full knowledge, grave matter) then yes I would go as soon as possible.

Its better to kneel before a priest who will be disappointed in you, rather than to be ashamed before the Judgement Seat of God.

The priest will soon forget anyway.

What would make it a grave matter?

There’s nothing shameful about a sinner repenting.

It depends on the sin. Technically any sin can become grave if it is done to an extreme enough degree. And some sins are almost always grave matter, such as lust.

However, regardless if it was grave sin or not, you should still go to Confession ASAP.

In order to commit a mortal sin, you must meet the following three criteria:

1. It must be a grave matter. If you don’t know what constitutes a grave matter, do a Google search for “examination of conscious.”

2. You must know that what you did was a grave/mortal sin.

3. You willfully commit the grave/mortal sin.

Do not let shame prevent you from seeking the Sacrament of Reconciliation. At least you are contrite and sorry about it, and this will show when you confess. I once confessed three times in one week for the same sins. Life is a struggle, and Satan attacks us when we are most vulnerable.

Confess. Be humble.

Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better. I just got off the phone with a friend. We are going to go to mass tonight so that I can go to confession before hand. I am ashamed but in a way shame is good. It brings me down a notch, it humbles me.

Thanks everyone for your help, and your concern.

Pray for me.

Peace be with you.

There is always the option of going to another priest if it really bothers you that much.

The Gospel reading for this Sunday (and tonight’s Vigil Mass) is quite appropriate for you. I am glad to hear that you will be receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation prior to Mass.

And if you are ever wondering whether or not you need to go to Confession, that’s a pretty good sign that the answer is Yes.

Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.