Should I go to World Youth Day or to my brother's wedding?

I’ve applied to be a volunteer at World Youth Day in Cologne in August, but the problem is that my brother suddenly also planned to get married in August. Now I’m confused, since I study abroad in Germany and my hometown is far away and therefore I have to choose.

While a family member’s marriage is a very serious event to which you should go if you are at all able to do so, it is possible that you may not be able to afford the trip home. If so, then there would be nothing wrong with attending World Youth Day and sending your brother and his fiancee your love and best wishes by telephone. If you could go to your brother’s wedding but are saying that you’d *rather *go to World Youth Day, then it does seem that your priorities do need a readjustment. Look at it this way: If you were getting married and found out that your sibling was skipping your wedding for a youth festival he’d rather attend instead, how would you feel?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.