Should I have done this?

I honestly do not know where else to post this, my apologies if I didn’t post in the correct place.

I have been thinking about this all day and it has me worrying.
Earlier today, I had a Spanish test in school today, as I was absent yesterday, and I was near the teacher–about 5 inches from her desk. I had prayed before the test, as I usually do before all tests/quizzes/essays, and when I was mid-way through it, I noticed this girl whom I had never really had a friendship with, was walking over to me, but I ignored her because I was worried about my teacher suggesting that I was cheating. She went to the teacher’s desk, and studied the test of another girl who had received a 100 on the test and preceded to tell me the remaining answers, I checked some( they were all correct). She was being pretty obvious about it (going over my shoulder, in front of my desk, at a normal voice). The thing is, this was cheating, but it was odd, should I have used her answers?It has been haunting me all day.(doing something with doubt is a sin I think.)

I don’t think that you should have used her answers, no… that’s my view :slight_smile: the best thing in the future is to just tell the person that you don’t want to do this and tell them to stop telling you the information.

This was all right in front of the teacher’s view and hearing???

Yes, but she was speaking to some students briefly, and I still do not understand how she did not notice.

No. Cheating is a sin and wrong. It is a form of stealing and lying.

In the future, ignore anyone that offers you answers on a test. And if you had an answer in mind, and learn it would be incorrect because someone gave you the correct answer, use yours. Better to be honest and miss the question, than to be dishonest and get it right.

I had a feeling. Than you, and may God bless you, and all of the people that replied to this thread.

ElyiahVasquez,

I may be entirely wrong but there is a possibility that you aren’t a teenager at all but a maturing adult posing as a teen. Part of one sentence followed by a particular word jumped out at me in the first reading leading me to believe you could be a “POSER.”

If I am wrong and you are in fact an articulate mature teenager I just don’t think you would be seeking clarification in this issue.

I am a teenager, I’ve just been shy for most of my life. Most the friends I had went on to be teenage drug users and dealers. I have only a few friends whom I can trust currently. Ever since I’ve started to read the Bible, I’ve started to notice that most people in my school are not interested in doing good. I’ve the internet to comfort me. I basically get 90s-80s in all my classes. I seem to be bleesed, and I’m very thankful. I just want my parents to quit their sinful ways, but like I’ve learned so far; “You can’t change people.”

ElyiahVasquez,

I may be entirely wrong but there is a possibility that you aren’t a teenager at all but a maturing adult posing as a teen. Part of one sentence followed by a particular word jumped out at me in the first reading leading me to believe you could be a “POSER.”

If I am wrong and you are in fact an articulate mature teenager I just don’t think you would be seeking clarification in this issue.

You’ve received good advice. It was definitely cheating. The circumstances don’t matter. You know what is expected on a test- your own answers to the teacher’s questions. That’s why you felt so badly about this. Next time, listen to that little voice telling you it’s wrong. That’s your conscience sending you the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

And, when in doubt about whether something could be a sin- avoid it! If you aren’t sure you’re obligated to find out BEFORE acting!

You sound like a great kid! Repent, learn, and move on! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So without you initiating, this other girl just began to tell you correct answers? If I’m understanding this properly, it doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. If the answers she was telling you were indeed the correct ones then you only had two choices - either write down the correct answer, or put something else which would be incorrect. This is a strange situation and seems to put you in a lose-lose scenario. But I don’t see how you could be held responsible for the immoral actions of another student?

If you were my child, I would say:

Stay after class tomorrow (or as soon as you can) and tell your teacher what happened. Yes, what you did was cheating, however unintentional. You may indeed get a “zero” but your conscience will be clear. It is a very good lesson for later in life.

?

Anyways- you should probably tell the teacher what happened as soon as possible. Hopefully they will not hold you liable for the girl sitting there and telling you the answers.

If it happens again- just ignore the person and the answers they’re saying. I know that’s easier said than done, but the few moments of awkwardness when you ignore them aren’t as bad as the confusion and guilt you find after complying.

Since you didn’t change any of your answers, I don’t think you cheated. However, the other student definately did.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.