Should I have given my wife a brief kiss in public?

I am a Director of Religious Education at a Catholic parish and last night we had faith formation. My wife came into my office because she was subbing for a class and we were talking. Before she left, she leaned in to give me a kiss and I turned my cheek instead of kissing her back. Now, she is mad at me for doing so. I tried to explain to her after class that I did so because I didn’t think it was the appropriate time and place for a kiss–especially with other catechists around and a few students waiting to talk to me. I meant no offense or disrespect to her. Would it have been appropriate for me to have given my wife a brief peck on the lips?

Dear friend,

She is you wife and I trust that those present knew this; of course it was appropriate for you to kiss her! No one expects a long passionate kiss. But showing affection to one’ s spouse in public is expected. It sounds like you felt that it made you vulnerable in some way. It does–but your wife is worth it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.