Should I invite heretical Protestants to my daughter's Baptism?

I have a few family friends that are Methodist, and of course they’re invited to the Baptism of my infant daughter, but my dilemma is:

Should I invite family friends that adhere to heretical Protestant sects that refuse to acknowledge infant baptism?

Methodists practice infant baptism themselves. They will not object.

I think you should - it would be a lovely way to gently evangelize them. Read up on the scriptural and traditional basis for the practice, then invite them. If they don’t come, fine, if they do, great witness time for you :thumbsup:

And congratulations on the baptism of your little one :smiley:

You can invite an atheist to your child’s Baptism. It’s up to those you invite to accept or reject the invitation. To not invite someone is to make judgement on their beliefs. If they adamently deny infant baptism they may not come but if they do show up then perhaps that means God wanted them there for a reason. Who you invite has no bearing on the Sacrament. You, as a parent, and the Godparents should be the ones who are spiritually responsible for this child. It’s no difference than inviting someone who doesn’t believe in an afterlife to a Catholic funeral. It’s their choice,really…God Bless…teachccd:)

It shouldn’t matter theologically at all. They may be honored to attend, so you should do it for that reason.

Subrosa

If they are Methodist they will not “refuse to acknowledge infant baptism”. Methodists baptise infants.

The OP knows this. Hence the statement “of course the Methodists are invited… but should I invite those who do NOT acknowledge…”

Oops, I missed that. :blushing: :o I would invite the other Protestants too. You (OP) and the Methodists could use this opportunity to teach them something!:thumbsup:

i agree. infant baptism is something protestants need to learn more about (it’s been only a few months since i realized that my family’s belief and former belief were incorrect and could have proved disasterous, had i not made it to the age of 12 when i received the sacrament).

what would be wrong in making a judgement on someone’s beliefs? how else do you determine if yours are correct and set a standard for yourself? it isn’t a judgement on the person, and it has nothing to do with whether the person goes to heaven or hell, but anyway…I would invite them IF they can behave. But if they are going to be disruptive or make you uneasy or stressed then don’t ruin the sacredness of the occasion. ask them if they want to come and observe their reaction to the question. Is it a baptism during the Mass or afterward? I know one family who had three times as many non-Catholics who all wanted to attend and for the sake of the mother’s nerves decided it would be best to do the baptism after Mass. They did attend Mass tho–which was nice. I think it depends on the individuals you are considering inviting.
:slight_smile: --congrats!
Ravyn

I think you missed the point. It was not about judging if a person will go to hell or not or the right/wrong of their beliefs. The suggestion was to not pre-judge the individual’s openness to ideas, such as infant baptism. If they are open in their heart, their attendance would go a long way to at least bringing them to an understanding of Catholicism. Or it could actually bring out the great moment in which they realize that Catholicism is the ‘right’ way. Don’t judge their heart and the work God might be doing to bring them around.

Great post. Inviting them would be a great way to witness the Catholic faith to them.

I agree with the person who said to invite them if they will “behave.” It would be a terrible thing to have a “scene.”

My FIL is very opposed to infant baptism. I think that if he attended, he would be somewhat rude, possibly challenge the priest afterward, posssibly make a scene at the party. Maybe I’m wrong about him, but rather than take a chance, I would probably have my husband talk to him seriously before inviting him and make sure that he would keep him mouth shut. (We are too old to have children, so at this point, it’s not an issue.)

Of course you could and should, it will be a teaching moment of the Holy Spirit. I hope you are having the Baptism during Mass. Be prepared to explain it all in love.

I dont believe in infant baptism but I have been to countless catholic baptisms. I see it as being respectful of my family and friends beliefs–as they are of mine.:smiley:

I would never make a scene. That would be rude.:mad: If you felt they were going to make a scene just ask them to please either behave or dont come or just come to the party afterwards.:thumbsup:

P.S. Your title heretical protestants comes across as offensive(IMHO)

I believe what you are saying is that you have already invited your Methodist friends, but you are concerned about inviting other non-Catholic friends who do not accept infant baptism.

I would say yes.

They might be impressed with the liturgy and learn something.

God may use this very event to open their eyes.

This is true. I have learned that in our baby dedication , our minister uses the same words as the CC does , we just dont go as far as the water part.:smiley: I found that to be interesting.:thumbsup:

Sorry. Perhaps I worded this wrong. What I meant was maybe someone is not as critical about infant baptism as the OP might think. Sometimes people are on the fence with certain faith issues and we could not know that. So to not invite someone is to determine (or judge, as I misstated) their beliefs. While I know that the Eucharist is truly Jesus and anyone denying that is wrong, I would still invite Protestant to Mass.(And have) So, anyway, this has nothing to do with someone going to heaven or hell and I’m sorry for the misunderstanding…God Bless teachccd:)

her·e·sy http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/premium.gif http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngcache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif /ˈhɛrhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciationher-uh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -sies. 1.opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, esp. of a church or religious system. 2.the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine. 3.Roman Catholic Church. the willful and persistent rejection of any article of faith by a baptized member of the church. 4.any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.

Going strictly by definition, there is nothing wrong with the term. But, I agree it’s not very ecumenical.

Yes.

I assume you speak of the Church event, and not a banquet question that would require non religious advice, and fundamentally boils down to knowing your head count for the festivities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.