Should I join the Catholic Church?

I am a self-confessed seeker who has sampled/wandered protestantism for 20 years. Ten years ago I found myself gravitating toward Catholicism, but could not get over the Papal hump. You see, I was very intellectual about my faith and was quite the idealoge. I found myself in an Anglo-catholic Episcopal church for a couple years and really really loved it, but left because of the liberalism in the denomination’s leadership. I wandered some more and eventually ended up a liberal mainline protestant as my intellect continued guiding me in sampling the various schools of thought.
Now, I am desperately wanting More; to shift from left-brained to right-brained; from being overly doctrinal and theological and focus more on practice. The attraction to Christian Mysticism that drew me ten years ago remains. At this point, I don’t have any anti-Catholic hang-ups because I have undergone an “unlearning” process and have tossed my doctrinal and theological convictions aside in recent years. I kind of lost my faith and am working my way back. I am more interested in spiritual/contemplative practice and am friendly toward some Eastern (non-Christian) ideas like Mindfullness from Buddhism, for example. But, that doesn’t mean I want to be a Buddhist. I want to keep my spirituality within a Christian framework.
On some issues, I do think more like a Catholic than a protestant in relation to the importance of the Episcopate and those kinds of things. I don’t take a literal approach to many cardinal doctrines, but I accept that these things are what my religion teaches and consider them more like bumpers on my pool table. I need not stare right at them and crash right into them, but I accept them as protectors along the path, to keep me bouncing between them as I stagger along (I’m not a drunk, just your average run-of-the-mill sinner).
Should I Join The Catholic Church?

It’s a good time of year to jenquire about RCIA. This does not commit you to anything and may give you a chance to have your questions answered.

It’s a big step to take because once you commit there is no turning back. The Catholic Church is not just another denomination, it’s everything, or it’s nothing. That’s why we don’t rush things when people are considering conversion. You need to be 100% sure.

Obviously, I believe everyone should be Catholic. I have made that committment of total belief.

I love the “spiritual/contemplative practice” we have in the Church. Prayer, fasting and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. I have experienced a state that is almost an ecstacy, where I was oblivious to my surroundings. Not always, but it is something to long for again because it was so beautiful.

There is nothing wrong with being a Buddhist and being a Catholic. They are separate and both important entities, in my opinion.

Born a cradle Catholic, I left all forms of spiritualism my senior year in highschool, when I would have started Confirmation classes (they started later back then).

When I was in my early 20’s, my first husband bought me the Analects of Confuscious. That seemed to sustain me for years with the theory that as long as we live a life that better improves ourselves as individuals, we benefit society as well, too. It also taught me to not pass judgement on others. A theory that the Catholic Church stresses, but individuals seem to forget that an are quick to offer an opinion, whether or not it’s been solicited.

In the end, I felt myself guided towards Christianity, but being a scientist by nature (I studied Biochemistry and Biochemical Engineering along with doing a fellowship in Fractals and Chaos Theory.), I can’t just take the word or “feeling” of a person telling me about God. I knew I didn’t question God (at least as much), but I needed something that had substance to back up its theories. The Catholic Church does a lot of research both scientifically and spiritually before they put it into doctrine. They have an ability to play Devil’s Advocate without putting their emotions in front. I’m talking about the Church itself, many individuals don’t dig this deep, and it’s a personal preference, but at least the option is there. I like being able to research history instead of just reading passages of the New Testament over and over.

Another thing I like about the Catholic Church is uniformity (hence, it’s name catholic). It’s universal, which means you can go to any mass anywhere in the World and it will be the same. I appreciate the consistency and to me it shows stability.

In the end, becoming a Catholic is an individual’s choice. You don’t have to be like every Catholic to fit into the Catholic Church. I know that I’m not, but I also know that I belong to this Church, and respect it. I’ve now shifted and devoted my life to promoting it by making Rosaries, Chaplets and other Sacramentals and becoming a team leader for RCIA. I enjoy reading the Liturgy of the Hours, reading about the Saints (I recommend reading about The Incorruptibles), and learning about miracles and how the Catholic Church has evolved from when you almost were guaranteed martydom for becoming a Catholic, to having year round RCIA programs that let anyone join anytime of year.

I used to think that science proved the non-existence of God. I now know with undying faith that God gave us science to understand Him.

In Christ,
Dianna

Dianna,
:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. The spiritual journey is rich, indeed. It is interesting how God’s children can take such different paths, yet those journeys have so much in common.

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.