Should I keep my Catholic faith? Please help me..

Hi, i’m a catholic and my boyfriend is an anglican. I was wondering if i should join my boyfriend if we were to get married one day? He’s an evengelist and very active in his church. A week ago, we had an argument. He started to question my faith in God. He seems to look down on catholics. He said that catholics are blind and didn’t know the truth about God & Jesus. I was upset with his statement and didn’t know what to do or how to explain to him. He also didn’t like the way we pray to our Virgin Mary. He said “What Mary have to do in our daily prayers?” When we first met, he said that he accepted me the way i am right now but all of the sudden, he asked me to join him or it’s over between us. I’m really confused right now. Should i follow him or should i stay the way i am right now? Or maybe i could be both (follow him but keep my catholic faith)? Please help me…

Dear Little,

First of all you need to learn more about your Catholic faith. Mary is a part of our life because she is a part of Jesus’ life. He made her important to us by making her His mother.

Your boy friend’s assurance that he accepts you just as you are turned out to be a lie and a very personal one at that. How can you put any further trust in someone who would lie to you in that way, let alone marry him?

I suggest that you get a hold of the book, “Exploring the Catholic Faith” by Marcellino D’Ambrosio. It can be purchased through catholic.com (under shop) or by phone: 888 291 8000, Mon - Fri 9 A.M. till 5 P.M. PDT.

Your Catholic faith is the most precious thing you have. No one is worth giving it up for. You are in my prayers. Write again if you need to.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.