Should I leave the Church if I am angry with God?

I am very, very angry with God, the Catholic Church, and its clergy. I have tried to work this out but to no avail. I can no longer even enter a church. Should I leave the Catholic Church for good?

Without knowing the nature of the problem and the solutions you have tried to date, my advice can only be somewhat general: I recommend that you ask your pastor for a recommendation to a balanced, orthodox spiritual director who can work with you one-on-one. If you prefer not to talk to a priest face-to-face for the recommendation, call the parish office and ask to speak to him over the phone.

Catholic apologist Frank Sheed once said about his frustrations with clergymen in the Church:

We are not baptized into the hierarchy; do not receive the cardinals sacramentally; will not spend an eternity in the beatific vision of the pope. Christ is the point. I, myself, admire the present pope, but even if I criticized him as harshly as some do, even if his successor proved to be as bad as some of those who have gone before, even if I find the Church, as I have to live with it, a pain in the neck, I should still say that nothing that a pope (or a priest) could do or say would make me wish to leave the Church, although I might well wish that they would leave.

Although it may not seem so to you right now, try to hold on to the fact that God and the Church are the solutions to your problem, not the causes. If you keep plugging away at trying to find the appropriate help for your spiritual distress, eventually you will be given that help by God and the Church.

The books linked below may also be helpful. God bless.

Recommended reading:

Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux
Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis De Sales
The Practice of the Presence of God by Br. Lawrence

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.