Should I leave the church?

I am thinking of leaving the Catholic church and joining another faith, for the bizarre teachings it forces its members to accept. IS this, in fact, what the “Catholic church” teaches? Or are these the opinions of individuals in the Catholic church who would like to represent their own opinions as “the truth?” If I cannot find satisfactory answers, I will leave the church.

When I attended Catholic High School, I was taught that the Bible was based on myths and legends with weak historical basis. But we could still study the Bible, because it contained “wonderful spiritual truths, not facts, but truths.” Sister … was extremely condescending to anyone who took the gospels LITERALLY as being uneducated and naive. She maintained very little is known about the historical Jesus, and he never worked miracles. He probably never said most of what the Gospels claimed he said.

Why does the Catholic church and this site cite the Bible and “tradition” as “evidence” that Jesus commanded Peter to found his church? Those unreliable legends are just wonderful spiritual truths that should not be taken literally. You cannot cite something as historical evidence which you also claim is unhistorical and legendary. Either the Bible is literally and historically true, or its just a bunch of fairy tales.

Why are we morally obligated to realize the Bible should never be taken literally or historically, but the church can arbitrarily decide that some of those traditions are historical? We’re supposed to believe communion is Christ’s body, in the resurrection, assumption. Hello?! How does the church know that most of the bible is unhistorical and false, but claim those tradition/scripture beliefs are actually true? Why arbitrarily select those things?

In fact, if legends should be studied as sacred scripture, then let’s include the Divinci code in the Bible as another wonderful story. So, Dan Brown’s claims about Divinci Code claims that Jesus was not divine, and married Mary Magdalene, and wanted her, not Peter, to head his church might not be literally true. So, the Catholic church is not in a conspiracy executing Mrs. Christ’s descendant’s. So what! These are still wonderful spiritual truths! Why don’t we hold Bible study classes on his book, and see what “truths” these stories tell us about the almighty?

, I’m questioning the logical conclusions of the premises that people like Lonsway influenced me to believe and the premises themselves. If what she says is the absolute historical and literal truth, then I should renounce my “faith” in Christ, and quit worshipping this Jewish heretic legend as God. Why worship him through the Catholic church?

I disagree with the liberal scholars, and do think there are historical facts in the gospels. But if this liberalism is what the church wants to shove down my throat, goodbye.

I hope you do not leave the Church but if you do, do not do so for a lie.
Jesus really did live, die and rise from the dead. His miracles are real miracles. The Church is steadfast in teaching this today, as always. Each of his disciples, except one, submitted himself to martyrdom rather than deny the reality of Jesus and the truth of what he taught and did. For three hundred years those who accepted the papacy knew their fate was certain death. Only fools or madmen would do that for a lie.

The beauty of being a Catholic is that while we might encounter those like Sister who have been badly misled and are now misleading others, we can always find the truth by going straight to the Church who has been entrusted with it.

I recommend that you get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and even read the Church’s Document on sacred Scripture called Dei Verbum (Word of God).

You’ll read things like:

Therefore, since everything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit, it follows that the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings (5) for the sake of salvation. Therefore “all Scripture is divinely inspired and has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error, for reformation of manners and discipline in right living, so that the man who belongs to God may be efficient and equipped for good work of every kind” (2 Tim. 3:16-17, Greek text) (Dei Verbum

and

The unique and altogether singular event of the Incarnation of the Son of God does not mean that Jesus Christ is part God and part man, nor does it imply that he is the result of a confused mixture of the divine and the human. He became truly man while remaining truly God. Jesus Christ is true God and true man (Catechism of the Catholic Church 464).
and

[font=Arial]The signs worked by Jesus attest that the Father has sent him. They invite belief in him.269 To those who turn to him in faith, he grants what they ask.270 So miracles strengthen faith in the One who does his Father’s works; they bear witness that he is the Son of God.271 But his miracles can also be occasions for “offence”;272 they are not intended to satisfy people’s curiosity or desire for magic Despite his evident miracles some people reject Jesus; he is even accused of acting by the power of demons (Catechism of the Catholic Church

1. [/font]
    You might also find this previous post helpful.

Finally, read the great materials in the library at the Catholic Answers website.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.