Should I mention this lie I told in my next confession

I have a question. I told a little white lie to a former coworker of mine today. I left the company we worked at together about a year ago. This former coworker was let go about two years ago. He worked there for about nine months and my old boss let him go because he wasn’t happy with his performance. He told him that the position was being eliminated and that it was a decision made by upper management. They replaced him after he was gone. I guess my old boss didn’t want to hurt his feelings. Just today, on Facebook, my former coworker emailed me and asked me if anybody replaced him after he was let go. He said it was water under the bridge but he felt he had been lied to and he was looking for an honest answer. I lied and told him no, upper management decided to eliminate the position. I didn’t want to make my old boss look bad. I am still friendly with him. Should I mention this lie in my next confession? It was an inconsequential thing I lied about and the former coworker even said it was water under the bridge. It was still a lie though. This may even be a stupid thing to be asking on here.

If in doubt tell your confessor. Explain the situation and your concerns just as you did here. Aside from that I wouldn’t discuss this too much with your friend. Let it go.

OK. If it is a sin, it is probably a venial sin.

It is difficult to be polite and protect a friend or colleague sometimes in being completely truthful. If it is not true then you must counter this with the kindness of deceit, just as we do sometimes in offering polite and political advice to a loving wife about a dress. Polite society is greased on the oil of harmless folly.

:thumbsup:
The bold and underscore are mine (^_^)

First, thanks for being up-front about it,
Personally I find Catholics don’t want to
talk about sins…
I would bring it before the Lord, tell Him
your situ and ASK HIM TO CONFIRM or
dismiss the sin, remember, you’ll get
a correct answer IF YOU REALLY WANT
IT.(James 1:6-7)

Given that Christ gave us a way in which to deal with sin, Catholics generally avoid “testing” God and asking Him to “confirm or dismiss” sin…

Mr R Russo,
I agree with Cricket 2. Seems to me better to bring something up unnecessarily than chancing leaving out something important!

A white lie generally wouldn’t be a mortal sin. Just calling it that implies that it was not a serious lie but rather one told to save one’s feelings.

Tell it to God and pray for forgiveness.

Then, just let it go!
:slight_smile:

Find a good catechist; we’ll be happy to discuss sins, including our own with you. In covering our sins, we help to teach others to look at themselves and to make a more informed self-examination of conscience, which leads to a better and deeper Confession, which leads to less time in purgatory, which means that as a catechist we’ve done our job which is to bring the Gospel and conversion to the people.

Oh, please, go talk with your spiritual advisor, your sponsor, and the local Pastor about this statement… Your Baptist roots are showing here (^_^)

While certainly we should always ask to be forgiven of our daily sins (think - “Our Father…”) As Catholics, we have a much better, and assured way, to ask for, and receive, forgiveness, as our fellow member St. Francis points out below, without testing or demanding anything of the Lord our God – the Grace is freely given to those who truly wish to receive.

:thumbsup: Well said

given that to be mortal, the offense must be grave matter, known to be such, and wilfully done despite this knowledge - I would agree that this most likely isn’t a mortal sin; however, why not mention the act during confession and be assured that the act is forgiven. Each small sin is alike a pebble we carry in our pockets and around our necks… eventually they tearout our pockets and drag us to the ground… allowing ole’scratch to catch up with us… better to hand these over to our Lord, and take up His cross instead.

A white lie told to spare someone’s feelings is only venial.

It’s entirely up to you whether you want to raise it in confession or not. That should depend on such considerations as a) whether it bothers you (ie you feel guilt), b) how many more serious sins you have to confess, c) how long the queue is behind you, etc…

The question “Does this dress make me look fat?” is rarely about the dress.

My old boss is a great guy, and I can certainly understand if he didn’t want to hurt my former co worker’s feelings. He should have told the truth in a nice way though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.