Should I miss Mass because of my illness?

I have a cold, have been vomiting, and have a fever. When I cough I am apt to moan. I am irritable and probably would have trouble sitting through Mass. I assume I should miss Mass. The problem is I haven’t missed Mass since 2011. I don’t want to miss Mass but I don’t want anyone to catch what I have and my understanding is if you have a fever you are contagious.

Should I wait until this evening for the 5 p.m. Mass to se if I can pull it together or am I being an idiot? My employer who caught this from her teen daughter was very sick.

Stay home! You have a duty not to spread this around, and by all means you have the proper reason to dispense you from attending. God understands your situation - make a spiritual act of Holy Communion, and stay in bed!

My Jesus, I believe that You are in the Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I long for You in my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though You have already come, I embrace You and unite myself entirely to You; never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

8 Likes

Yes. Please.

Your illness relieves you of your Sunday obligation and is an act of charity by not possibly infecting those who are assembled for the Mass…think of the old, young, and infirm who can easily be affected by your illness, that could possibly be life threatening, and not just an in convenience.

Stay home, and be at peace!

I am praying for you quick recovery!

6 Likes

Thank you.

Stay home and recover.

Please stay home, don’t spread it to others.

Yes.

Stay home and stay away from people.

5 Likes

Stay home, you are ill, no one wants you throwing up in the pews. You will hopefully be better soon and back next week.

As others have said stay home. You can watch the Mass for the shut ins. So you aren’t really missing Mass. :^)

A layperson cannot consecrate the Eucharist.

2 Likes

Leviticus 13:45

“Anyone with such a defiling disease must wear torn clothes, let their hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of their face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’”

Indeed, please stay home :mask:

I don’t feel that much better this morning. I guess I was being an idiot.

You weren’t being an idiot, your question was valid and a good concern to have! It’s good to know you’re dedicated to going to Mass every Sunday!

However, you’re sick? You’re sick. You can’t help it. It’s not your fault. I prayed for you this morning at Mass so I think combined with the rest of us praying, you’re a-okay.

Illness, especially contagious illness, automatically dispenses us from our Sunday obligation. As does travel, lack of a Mass within a reasonable distance, bad weather that makes travel dangerous, needing to stay home to care for the sick, children, or elderly, or necessary work to provide for ourselves or our families or the needs of the community (doctors, nurses, policemen, firemen, etc.).

2 Likes

You should stay home. Christ wants you to take care of yourself and doesn’t want you to get everyone sick

Stay home.
WTch EWTN and smarten up.
Your the type that doctors warn about.
It’s not fair to infect other people.

If possible you shouldn’t go anywhere until 24 hours AFTER your fever breaks without use of medicine. This isn’t always possible in today’s face paced world but the clock on “is it ok” doesn’t start for a while.

How are you feeling today.

I am feeling better today. I don’t have a fever. I am still tired and have been napping. I only went to the bank and the store today.

I am glad you are getting better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.