Should I pray after an argument?

Hello everyone, I have a question really quick. I have OCD and have been on meds for almost a year. I was taken off of them because I told my NP that I want to see how I can do without them for a while, and she agreed. I have been on a very crabby mood this past week, and though I know it’s not an excuse, it has gotten me into arguing with my siblings over the tiniest, dumbest things. I just had a pretty bad argument with my sister, and she and I had never argued before. She even ended up becoming upset at other people because of things I said. The things is, now I feel completely wrong praying. I try to pray the Rosary, or at least The Divine Mercy Chaplet, every day before I go to bed, but now I just feel wrong. I just keep feeling completely dirty and wrong. Should I not pray, or should I pray?

I did apologize to my sister, though she is still upset.

Pray the rosary. Focus on The Agony in the Garden. We “get” sorrow for sin when we contemplate that mystery. We should be sorrowful for our sins, which I think you are, but just haven’t named it as such?

1 Like

I am definitely sorry for it, and I will try my best never to do it again. It just feels wrong because I’ve been doing it so often lately that this time I just feel like praying is not okay for me to do anymore.

it is entirely possible that withdrawal from your meds is what is causing your crabbiness. you might want to speak with your prescriber, and if that is true, convey it to your sis.

Hopefully you did not say things which will have a permanent change of relationship.

If this continues, you may wish to get back to your prescriber quickly, as you may do more damage.

If you need to, go to confession. Then get on down the road; you may not feel like praying but that is a time for the exercise of discipline - we all have times we don’t want to do things we need to do.

2 Likes

@April29
Say the forgiveness prayer on both sides that is ,ask Jesus to give you the Grace to forgive your sister and others and also ask Jesus that your sister may forgive you in Jesus name.make a list of people whom you face similar problems.pray before sleeping while your examining your conscience ,each day or in the morning ,free time or before Mass till you reconcile with each one of them. God Bless.

1 Like

Please get rid of the idea that you have to be “good enough” before you can talk to God.

He will meet you where you’re at, and give you the grace to do better next time.

Remember the parable of the Shepherd who left the 99 good sheep in order to rescue the one who wandered off.

6 Likes

It is indeed advisable to retreat to a quiet place after an argument and center one’s thoughts. Prayer requires the former and achieves the latter. So yes, one should pray after an argument, or failing that, just sit quietly for a while.

3 Likes

Prayer always help.

2 Likes

Prayer is appropriate for all occasions, everyday, all day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This good enough thingie keeps so many people from going to confession.

1 Like

The idea that one should not pray at a certain time is completely illogical. You need to recognize that.

1 Like

It really does!
I think there’s a tension between our striving to follow the commandments, which we should do, and then we turn it all around and forget that our spiritual lives really are a journey, or like tending a garden, where we need to nourish our souls, but we also have to weed it every day

3 Likes

Indeed. I think it would help a lot of people, especially scrupulous ones, to realize that even the saints sinned- it’s to be expected, after all. But a saint is not one who does not sin. He or she is one who repents of sin, right until the end.

3 Likes

And confession is our remedy, not some punishment.
I mean, when was the last time a person said “I don’t want to go to the emergency room because the doctor will see my broken arm”.
It’s the doctors job to help with the broken arm and the priest job to help with the broken soul.

3 Likes

Very well said, 0Scarlett_nidiyilii!

2 Likes

Thank God for confession! What a feeling to have the priest say that I am absolved of my sins!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.