Should I re-confess my mortal sins because I forgot to say how many times I committed each one?

I recently found out that if you forget to say a mortal sin at Confession, you should go back and say it next time. I also just found out that you’re supposed to include the number of times you committed each sin when you go to Confession. I’ve confessed all my mortal sins, but didn’t know I was supposed to confess the number of times I committed each one. Should I re-confess my mortal sins?

No. Simply mention them at your next confession, but never re-confess. Have a read of this, as it is a great help in such circumstances:

fathersofmercy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ten-Commandments-to-Guard-Against-Scrupulosity.pdf

[quote="Nickname_Sam, post:1, topic:328171"]
I recently found out that if you forget to say a mortal sin at Confession, you should go back and say it next time. I also just found out that you're supposed to include the number of times you committed each sin when you go to Confession. I've confessed all my mortal sins, but didn't know I was supposed to confess the number of times I committed each one. Should I re-confess my mortal sins?

[/quote]

When the priest absolved you did he say that you still needed to confess the mortal sins by number at another time?

No? I didn't think so.

The priest knows the requirements for a valid confession he has ruled that met the requirements.

So, you are not obliged to revisit these confessions. However, now that you have some doubts you may not be at ease until you are advised by a priest, so simply put your question to any priest next time you are in the confessional. Priests are always ready to answer questions about previous confessions so you don't need to make an appointment or do anything other than mention it during a normal confession.

[quote="Nickname_Sam, post:1, topic:328171"]
I recently found out that if you forget to say a mortal sin at Confession, you should go back and say it next time. I also just found out that you're supposed to include the number of times you committed each sin when you go to Confession. I've confessed all my mortal sins, but didn't know I was supposed to confess the number of times I committed each one. Should I re-confess my mortal sins?

[/quote]

When the priest absolved you did he say that you still needed to confess the mortal sins by number at another time?

No? I didn't think so.

The priest knows the requirements for a valid confession and he has ruled that you met the requirements. Even if he doesn't know the requirements or is being too lenient (which is very unlikely) he has *ruled **in persona Christi *that you have made a valid confession.

So, you are not obliged to revisit these confessions. However, if you need complete assurance then simply put your question to any priest next time you are in the confessional. Priests are always ready to answer questions relating to previous confessions. I have done so on several occasions and it took all of about 2 minutes to explain the situation and get Father's advice.

Yes.

If one omitted (via say honestly not having a clue that one was to confess mortal sins in number -- or forgot them) one would yes confess them in the next confession (after you remember of course).

One is to confess mortal sins in number and in kind (and that which changes the kind like it was the Chalice from Mass one stole).

(now that being said some persons struggle with scrupulosity and some of them may be in a different boat ...they can start to want to confess all sorts of unneeded things....their confessor can guide them).

Such would not be quite the correct understanding here

Yes one would confess

If one omitted (via say honestly not having a clue that one was to confess mortal sins in number – or forgot them) one would yes confess them in the next confession (after you remember of course).

One is to confess mortal sins in number and in kind (and that which changes the kind like it was the Chalice from Mass one stole).

More help from Jimmy Akin the Senior Apologist at Catholic Answers:

jimmyakin.com/2006/09/a_reader_writes_1.html

But remember too --our memory may not work as we would like --so if one does not know the number after one has examined – one can approximate according to what one knows. 10-15x or even if need be “many x” etc (we proceed in a human way not a vulcan way …as in Mr. Spock 256.3225 times Captain.)

(now that being said some persons struggle with scrupulosity and some of them may be in a different boat …they can start to want to confess all sorts of unneeded things…their confessor can guide them).

That article addresses the issue of forgotten sins, which the OP already knows about and is not in question.

Do you have anything to support your statement that the OP must re-confess?

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:8, topic:328171"]
That article addresses the issue of forgotten sins, which the OP already knows about and is not in question.

Do you have anything to support your statement that the OP must re-confess?

[/quote]

I mean, do you have anything published by a priest and/or expert on the subject?

We have previously discussed canon 988#1 with our inexpert, lay opinions and and not reached agreement.

I would not recommend it. Simply because you forgot to mention how many times you committed the sin does not mean your Confession was invalid. It was a valid Confession provided you were sorry for your sins and intended to amend your life.

Yes it does apply.

If honestly did not realize --say I was clueless that one had to confess mortal sins in number and kind (see Canon Law on that one) and thus lets say I had missed Sunday Mass 12 times (with all the needed aspects of mortal sin) and so --honestly not having a clue I simply confessed “I missed Mass” -thinking that was what I was to do–while the other sins can be absolved indirectly --I have not yet confessed 11 Mass missing’s. I have still need to submit them to the keys in confession. In the next confession once I have realized this. It is like the normal “forgotten mortal sin”.

So I need to confess those mortal sins. Perhaps say "I did not realize I needed to give the number of mortal sins so it was not just “missing Mass” but doing it 12 times.

It is not per se “re-confessing”…for I imagine various things will not need to be said.

Now if I examine and do not know the actual number --well then I can approximate according to what I know – “around 10 times” or even if need be “I do not know --but several”

(now a note of caution for some readers who are scrupulous - see ones “regular confessor” for they can at times seek to confess all sorts of things that are not needful and worry needlessly about things…)

Yes various sources could be given but not going to fill the thread with them.

If it helps I have a degree in Theology from Franciscan University of Stubenville.

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:8, topic:328171"]

Do you have anything to support

[/quote]

A nice summary from the Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

304. Which sins must be confessed?

All grave sins not yet confessed, which a careful examination of conscience brings to mind, must be brought to the sacrament of Penance.

(note --"grave sins = mortal sins = serious sins")

[quote="Bookcat, post:13, topic:328171"]
A nice summary from the Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

304. Which sins must be confessed?

All grave sins not yet confessed, which a careful examination of conscience brings to mind, must be brought to the sacrament of Penance.

(note --"grave sins = mortal sins = serious sins")

[/quote]

That supports my argument. The sins have already been confessed so don't need to be re-confessed, whereas you are insisting that they must be re-confessed by number.

[quote="Bookcat, post:12, topic:328171"]
Yes various sources could be given but not going to fill the thread with them.

If it helps I have a degree in Theology from Franciscan University of Stubenville.

[/quote]

I am not asking you to fill the thread. I am asking for one, just one, by a priest or theological expert which says that if sins have have been confessed in good faith, but not by number, then they must be re-confessed. Which is the topic of this thread and which you have answered affirmatively.

Yes it does apply
It is like the normal “forgotten mortal sin”.

The article doesn’t say that. We have no disagreement over forgotten sins. The rest is you interpretation which we have discussed before and which I have not agreed with. Hence my request that you provide the support of an expert opinion, rather than repeat that discussion.

NO.

**Rule of thumb: **If the priest gave you the Absolution, then Jesus forgave you of your sins and has already forgotten them.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is not an exam that you fail if you forget to dot an “i” or cross a “t” - it is a living encounter with the merciful Christ. He created you; He knows what you meant to say, and He knows that you were sincere in your attempt to make a good Confession.

Make a frequent habit of going to Confession, and over time it will get easier, but meanwhile do not get all stressed out about the details - just do the best you can, and know that God’s grace will supply for whatever is lacking in yourself - that’s the whole point of a Sacrament.

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:14, topic:328171"]
That supports my argument! The sins have already been confessed so don't need to be re-confessed.

[/quote]

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:15, topic:328171"]
I am not asking you to fill the thread. I am asking for one, just one, by a priest or theological expert which says that if sins have have been confessed in good faith, but not by number, then they must be re-confessed. Which is the topic of this thread and which you have answered affirmatively.

[/quote]

I gave one (see above) --Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:14, topic:328171"]
That supports my argument. The sins have already been confessed so don't need to be re-confessed, whereas you are insisting that they must be re-confessed by number.

[/quote]

No they have not been already confessed.

One was confessed.

One is obliged to confess all mortal sins in number and kind that have not yet been confessed (submitted to the keys).

(again there are those who struggle with scrupulosity out there -- they should have a regular confessor to guide them for they can start wanting to confess all sorts of things note needful)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.