Should I read Ascent of Mount Carmel or Dark Night of the Soul first?

I have a copy of Dark Night of the Soul, and in the Introduction it mentions that Dark Night is the fourth part of John's stages. I haven't found anything on this in my google searches and was wondering if I should start with Ascent before Dark Night. I feel that the spiritual darkness that pervades in my life is due to my own sin, and I get the feeling that Dark Night deals with something more advanced that my current state. Does the Ascent start with a more basic spiritual stage than Dark Night? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I suggest reading the Ascent first; it will enlighten your reading of the Dark Night.

Warning: neither of these is "light reading." But oh, they are SO worth it!

[quote="dswearin, post:1, topic:260321"]
I have a copy of Dark Night of the Soul, and in the Introduction it mentions that Dark Night is the fourth part of John's stages. I haven't found anything on this in my google searches and was wondering if I should start with Ascent before Dark Night. I feel that the spiritual darkness that pervades in my life is due to my own sin, and I get the feeling that Dark Night deals with something more advanced that my current state. Does the Ascent start with a more basic spiritual stage than Dark Night? Any advice would be much appreciated.

[/quote]

Greetings Dswearin.

I would being with the Ascent first and then the second book. It will help make the Dark Night of the Soul make more sense. I am currently using these as my spiritual reading lectio divina right now. I re-read these at least once a year. They are great.

God Bless.
Anathama Sit

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.