Should I receive Holy Communion?

This coming Sunday, I'm not sure if I should receive Holy Communion because I have commited so many venial sins regarding impure thoughts since my last confession (which was last week). I'm worried that these thoughts were sometimes given full consent even though I was just beginning to wake up in the morning when I received them (I was kind of in a subconscious state). Even when I was tempted, I didn't fight temptations hard enough (but I still didn't commit sin). Would that also constitute a mortal sin?
I really don't want to receive Our Lord sacrilegiously and your advice is greatly appreciated. God bless :)

I may be wrong, but I believe you can be absolved from venial sins simply by saying the Act of Contrition prayer.

Many times it is hard to tell where the thought occurs and when the consent begins. When there is a doubt and you didn't do anything to excite them then you shoud go to Holy Communion. going to mass often and recieving Holy Communion will help you to resist the wiles of the devil.
:)

The Imitation of Christ
Thomas a Kempis
The Tenth Chapter

DO NOT LIGHTLY FOREGO HOLY COMMUNION

THE VOICE OF CHRIST
YOU must often return to the source of grace and divine mercy, to the fountain
of goodness and perfect purity, if you wish to be free from passion and vice, if you
desire to be made stronger and more watchful against all the temptations and deceits of
the devil. The enemy, knowing the great good and the healing power of Holy Communion,
tries as much as he can by every manner and means to hinder and keep away the
faithful and the devout. Indeed, there are some who suffer the worst assaults of Satan
when disposing themselves to prepare for Holy Communion. As it is written in Job, this
wicked spirit comes among the sons of God to trouble them by his wonted malice, to
make them unduly fearful and perplexed, that thus he may lessen their devotion or
attack their faith to such an extent that they perhaps either forego Communion
altogether or receive with little fervor.

No attention, however, must be paid to his cunning wiles, no matter how base
and horrible -- all his suggestions must be cast back upon his head. The wretch is to be
despised and scorned. Holy Communion must not be passed by because of any assaults
from him or because of the commotion he may arouse. Oftentimes, also, too great solicitude for devotion and anxiety about confession hinder a person. Do as wise men do. Cast off anxiety and scruple, for it impedes the grace of God and destroys devotion of the mind.

Do not remain away from Holy Communion because of a small trouble or
vexation but go at once to confession and willingly forgive all others their offenses. If
you have offended anyone, humbly seek pardon and God will readily forgive you.
What good is it to delay confession for a long time or to put off Holy Communion? Cleanse yourself at once, spit out the poison quickly. Make haste to apply the remedy and you will find it better than if you had waited a long time. If you put it off today because of one thing, perhaps tomorrow a greater will occur to you, and thus you will stay away from Communion for a long time and become even more unfit.

Shake off this heaviness and sloth as quickly as you can, for there is no gain in
much anxiety, in enduring long hours of trouble, and in depriving yourself of the divine
Mysteries because of these daily disturbances. Yes, it is very hurtful to defer Holy
Communion long, for it usually brings on a lazy spiritual sleep. How sad that some dissolute and lax persons are willing to postpone confession and likewise wish to defer Holy Communion, lest they be forced to keep a stricter watch over themselves! Alas, how little love and devotion have they who so easily put off Holy Communion!

How happy and acceptable to God is he who so lives, and keeps his conscience
so pure, as to be ready and well disposed to communicate, even every day if he were
permitted, and if he could do so unnoticed. If, now and then, a man abstains by the grace of humility or for a legitimate reason, his reverence is commendable, but if laziness takes hold of him, he must arouse himself and do everything in his power, for the Lord will quicken his desire because of the good intention to which He particularly looks. When he is indeed unable to come, he will always have the good will and pious intention to communicate and thus he will
not lose the fruit of the Sacrament.

Any devout person may at any hour on any day receive Christ in spiritual
communion profitably and without hindrance. Yet on certain days and times appointed
he ought to receive with affectionate reverence the Body of his Redeemer in this
Sacrament, seeking the praise and honor of God rather than his own consolation.
For as often as he devoutly calls to mind the mystery and passion of the
Incarnate Christ, and is inflamed with love for Him, he communicates mystically and is
invisibly refreshed.

He who prepares himself only when festivals approach or custom demands, will
often find himself unprepared. Blessed is he who offers himself a sacrifice to the Lord as
often as he celebrates or communicates. Be neither too slow nor too fast in celebrating but follow the good custom common to those among whom you are. You ought not to cause others inconvenience or trouble, but observe the accepted rule as laid down by superiors, and look to the benefit of others rather than to your own devotion or inclination.

peace

[quote="Rocky24, post:1, topic:306847"]
This coming Sunday, I'm not sure if I should receive Holy Communion because I have commited so many venial sins regarding impure thoughts since my last confession (which was last week). I'm worried that these thoughts were sometimes given full consent even though I was just beginning to wake up in the morning when I received them (I was kind of in a subconscious state). Even when I was tempted, I didn't fight temptations hard enough (but I still didn't commit sin). Would that also constitute a mortal sin?
I really don't want to receive Our Lord sacrilegiously and your advice is greatly appreciated. God bless :)

[/quote]

We say the Confeitor and receive absolution in Mass for our venial sins. It's sometimes tricky to not become too scrupulous, yet not presume that we are not sinning. Since a mortal requires FULL CONSENT, you don't have the conditions for that, but if you will worry and worry about your venial sins, then go to confession today if you can.

For people who tend toward scrupulosity, it is good to go to the same confessor and explain that you are scrupulous and let him guide you.

While receipt of the Sacrament of Reconciliation is essential for mortal sins, venial sins are remitted when we receive the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

Prayers in preparation for Mass included in my missal are those written by St. Ambrose and St. Thomas Aquinas.

St. Ambrose prays, I approach your banquet table in fear and trembling for I am a sinner…May your body and blood which I wish to receive, although I am unworthy be for me the remission of my sins, the washing away of my guilt, the end of my evil thoughts, and the rebirth of my better instincts.

St. Thomas Aquinas prays to receive “not only the Body and Blood of the Lord, but also the grace and power of the Sacrament.”

Invocation of the Holy Spirit adapted from The Apostolic Constitution, from the 4th century:
Lord Almighty,
send down upon this sacrifice your Holy Spirit.
May He declare this bread that we shall eat
to be the body of Christ,
and this cup to be the blood of Christ.
May He strengthen and sanctify us
who eat this bread and drink this cup,
grant forgiveness of our sins
and deliver us from the wiles of the devil.
May He fill us with His presence
to make us worthy of Christ, your Son,
and obtain for us eternal life.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, regarding the Eucharist and venial sins:

The warning about venial sin:

1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul's progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not set us in direct opposition to the will and friendship of God; it does not break the covenant with God. With God's grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."

The blessing of the Eucharist:

1394 As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins. By giving himself to us Christ revives our love and enables us to break our disordered attachments to creatures and root ourselves in him.

1395 By the same charity that it enkindles in us, the Eucharist preserves us from future mortal sins. the more we share the life of Christ and progress in his friendship, the more difficult it is to break away from him by mortal sin. The Eucharist is not ordered to the forgiveness of mortal sins - that is proper to the sacrament of Reconciliation. The Eucharist is properly the sacrament of those who are in full communion with the Church.

1416 Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant's union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins, and preserves him from grave sins. Since receiving this sacrament strengthens the bonds of charity between the communicant and Christ, it also reinforces the unity of the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ.

If an impure thought pops up in your mind and you immediately reject it, it is not a sin. But if an impure thought pops up in your mind and you purposely dwell on it (even if your half asleep ,but conscience enough of what is going on and can reject it) it is a mortal sin. And I advise you to go to confession and include how many times you have done it since your last valid confession and (if it is necessary) also include how many times you have committed this sin in your lifetime. I hope this helps your soul and ill pray for you, you are not alone!
-JLM28

If it is a venial sin, do not withhold yourself from Holy Communion, but feel free to confess :thumbsup:

If it is a mortal sin, Do withhold yourself from Holy Communion and DEFINITELY confess. :eek:

If you are unsure…my spiritual director recommended that I not not receive at Mass, so as not to deprive myself of the graces of the Sacrament. And then…confess :slight_smile: get the picture? :smiley:

For a mortal sin to be a mortal sin 3 conditions must be met.
1) It must be classified as a grave matter.
2) You must know it is a grave matter.
3) You have to, with full knowledge and consent, do it anyway.

In short, if you are not sure it was a mortal sin, it wasn't. It is impossible to accidently commit a mortal sin.

Do mention it in your next confession, just so you have clarification should it happen again. But in this instance, it wasn't a mortal sin. Satan loves to keep us from the Eucharist. Don't let him.

Kris

[quote="poche, post:3, topic:306847"]
Many times it is hard to tell where the thought occurs and when the consent begins. When there is a doubt and you didn't do anything to excite them then you shoud go to Holy Communion. going to mass often and recieving Holy Communion will help you to resist the wiles of the devil.
:)

[/quote]

I think there is a difference between when you might be conscious of something, like impure imaginings and when you are conscious of the morality of it.

Sin is in the will, not in the intellect; so that you can think about murder as an action, without willing it; and likewise think about impure things without consenting to any illicit pleasure, or willing any impure pleasure. Some things are dangerous occasions of sin and so should not be thought about needlessly.

So if you have a weird dream - there may be enjoyment, curiousity, etc. upon waking - but when you become aware of the morality of this - and reject the notion of dwelling, entertaining, acting on it, etc. I would think that no sin has occurred. In which instance, it would seem that going to Holy Communion would be fine, unless you were distracted during Mass by the memory of the dream, to the point of being unable to foster sufficient devotion and love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.