Should I say something....Or not?

I work in a Catholic school. Not all employees are Catholic. I notice that one non Catholic is receiving the Eucharist, and we are at a very traditional parish.

Do I just let it go to keep peace?

Assuming that you are quite sure your fellow employee is not Catholic, you might make sure the pastor is aware that the person is not Catholic, and that the regular reception of the Eucharist by a non-Catholic at school Masses is noticeable. Talk to the pastor directly. After that, accept how he decides to deal with the situation. Even if he is not the celebrant for school Masses, once he knows about it, he is the one who should be dealing with it. Trying to usurp a position of authority that you don’t have usually does not work.

You and the other employee have to maintain a working relationship. If the person won’t listen to the pastor, he or she won’t listen to you. If you feel certain the pastor did nothing, though, to the point that you can honestly believe that the person is unaware that reception of Eucharist by a non-Catholic is not allowed, you can bring the fact to their attention, but don’t press it beyond that. Again…he or she will either listen to the demands of truth or not. This is not something that people are cowed into giving in on, and you are not in a postion of authority over your fellow employee to force the issue. Only talk to the person directly if you think there is some chance they would change, if someone only told them.

Thanks Easter Joy!

Maybe I can submit an anonymous note to our priest. He is a very faithful orthodox priest.

I second the above advice…As long as you are totally sure that the person receiving is not Catholic, I would go ahead and tell the priest. Yeah it’ll probably feel awkward, but it’s one of those things that just needs to be done. :o God bless you for caring enough about it to say something.

Are you absolutely sure he/she aren’t Catholic?

And if so, does they know they aren’t supposed to be receiving? I’ve had several friends raised in other traditions receive (one multiple times) without knowing they weren’t supposed to. In my experience, most people are very understanding once they’re told.

Please do not send the priest an anonymous note. If you do, he will, most likely, trash it. Anonymous letters/notes are never acceptable. Why would you not sign your name? You are not intending harm to anyone. You are not doing anything wrong. You are alerting the priest to something that needs handling. Sign your name.

Exactly!!

You are doing the right thing. Simply speak to your priest and leave it in his hands.

I would tell the non-catholic that non-catholics are not allowed to recieve communion.

He ought to know who is bringing this to his attention. You can tell him directly, but ask him to keep your name confidential. You can trust him to do that. It is far better than an anonymous note, which always carries the issue of whether the sender has some hidden ax to grind.

And that’s what I did. Thanks all.

Still feel a bit like a tattle. But I felt it needed to be done. I gave no names. Just said a non-Catholic staff member took Communion.

It was good you made the decision to inform the concerned. Having been in the priesthood for almost 12 years (I have since resigned in 2006) I would never allow our Eucharist to be trivialized. We owe it to our Lord to give Him all the due honor and worship. God bless!

I agree - as I understand it, the priest is the one who’s got the duty of deciding who receives communion ie applies the rules in the Church.

So speaking to the priest makes sense to me.

:thumbsup:

First you talk to your brother, if it does not work then find a witness and bring it up to the Church.

Please remember to do everything with charity and clarity.

Hi Cristiano.

Couple things don’t apply with this scripture. Although, in the right context it’s good. #1 the person is a co-worker, not a Catholic. #2 Since the person isn’t a member of the church, church law doesn’t apply. In this case, I did the right thing. #3 If I went to the co-worker, in this situation, it would not have been right. The co worker doesn’t need to answer to me.

What do you mean that couple things do not apply to this scripture?

1# Who cares that the co-worker is not a catholic (BTW is he a Christian?). The individual is working for a catholic institution and we still must behave like Christians.

2# Church law applies to you and some aspects can apply to anyone that enters in an contract with a catholic institution.

3# Your co-worker does not need to answer to you, that it is obvious. However, you have a moral obligation to correct your brother and sisters with charity and clarity.

FWIW, my priest told me I did the right thing by coming to him. He understood that it would not have been correct for me to correct a co-worker.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.