Should I speak up about a dissenting RCIA instructor in my parish?

A couple of friends of mine were enrolled in RCIA in my parish church. They recently dropped out because one of the instructors said birth control is up to the individual and we do not have to listen to the magisterium of the church. They knew a little about catholic teaching because they had been listening to Father Corapi’s series on the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I am glad they had enough discernment to spot errors being taught in RCIA.
This is the largest parish in my area and this disturbs me. My parish has also been told to stand after receiving the Eucharist, though no other parishes in our area do that. I know several people have talked to the priest about this particular instructor, but she is still there. She is very liberal. As a parishoner am I supposed to sit back and know this heresy is goiung on or do I speak up. I have been told we also have a very liberal bishop in our dioscese.

I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is no shortage of dissenting catechists. But we know ours isn’t the only generation to witness problems in the Church. As bad as things look now, they’ve been worse. Let the problems at your parish move you to action, and not to despair. Get involved. Begin by asking yourself and the Lord: “What can I do to evangelize my parish?”

Perhaps you and other faithful Catholics can get involved in the RCIA program at your parish. Or maybe you can start a bible study group, or an apologetic discussion group. I’m sure you know of someone who would be interested in helping you. The possibilities are endless.

In addition to parish involvement, continue to pray and make sacrifices for the spiritual health of your parish. Pray daily for your priest, your bishop, and for all the teachers and leaders in religious education (the list goes on). Make regular visits to the Blessed Sacrament. Pray the Rosary.

In Christifideles Laici, the Holy Father encourages us all to “fight the good fight of faith” (1 Tim 6:12):

“In the present circumstances the lay faithful have the ability to do very much and, therefore, ought to do very much towards the growth of an authentic ecclesial communion in their parishes in order to reawaken missionary zeal towards nonbelievers and believers themselves who have abandoned the faith or grown lax in the Christian life.”

The complete text is here.

Concerning the issue of standing after receiving Communion, I recommend you read this article.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.