Should I take offense to this?

At the college I am at, we have a VERY liberal newman center. I don’t mind, because there is a completely conservative church very near to our campus. The Deacon there gave the best sermon I have ever heard in my life. Unfortunately I was up till 630 this morning :D, so i had to go to 7 pm mass at the newman center.

Anyway, tonight the priest talked about how he gets mad that his diocesan paper had an article about mortal sin. His entire sermon was that because God is constantly forgiving, one who has a mortal sin on his concious will not go to hell. He basically stated that HIS God would not be so unforgiving. Is it just me, or should he not be teaching that schismatic dribble to a congregation? I know that that is not what the Catholic Church teaches. He also brushed off any dissention by saying that he didn’t want to argue using the Catechism and Scipture.

I was furious. How can he so blatantly do away with Church Teaching? It shouldn’t matter what he THINKS HIS God is like, it should only matter what God truly is and how he truly acts. He appealed to these people’s sense of emotion instead of telling them how dire sin truly is.

My question is, should I confront him about it and express my disapproval? I know someone already has, do you think my doing it would be overkill?

Thanks!

It doesn’t sound like he was being tactful and/or charitable. He is correct in saying that if someone dies with mortal sin on their soul and no intention of true confession they will go to hell. That is why mortal sin is called mortal.

The proper way to address it is to talk to him first. If he refuses to accept that he is in violation of Church teaching, then go to the Bishop (you may be directed to the proper Vicar first). If you find that he has the same frame of mind then write to the Vatican.

[quote=bogeyjlg]It doesn’t sound like he was being tactful and/or charitable. He is correct in saying that if someone dies with mortal sin on their soul and no intention of true confession they will go to hell. That is why mortal sin is called mortal.
[/quote]

His sermon was that one will not go to hell, sorry for the misunderstanding.

[quote=Ianjo99]At the college I am at, we have a VERY liberal newman center. I don’t mind, because there is a completely conservative church very near to our campus. The Deacon there gave the best sermon I have ever heard in my life. Unfortunately I was up till 630 this morning :D, so i had to go to 7 pm mass at the newman center.

Anyway, tonight the priest talked about how he gets mad that his diocesan paper had an article about mortal sin. His entire sermon was that because God is constantly forgiving, one who has a mortal sin on his concious will not go to hell. He basically stated that HIS God would not be so unforgiving. Is it just me, or should he not be teaching that schismatic dribble to a congregation? I know that that is not what the Catholic Church teaches. He also brushed off any dissention by saying that he didn’t want to argue using the Catechism and Scipture.

I was furious. How can he so blatantly do away with Church Teaching? It shouldn’t matter what he THINKS HIS God is like, it should only matter what God truly is and how he truly acts. He appealed to these people’s sense of emotion instead of telling them how dire sin truly is.

My question is, should I confront him about it and express my disapproval? I know someone already has, do you think my doing it would be overkill?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I would definitely have a conversation with him about his liberal viewpoints that are not in keeping with those of Catholic doctrine. Then I would go to the other Mass, and bring all my friends with me, out of concern for their souls. :slight_smile:

Matt 18:15"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over [Go talk to him]. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[Bring back-up if he blows you off] 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; [Contact the diocese] and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

[quote=RyanL]Matt 18:15"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over [Go talk to him]. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[Bring back-up if he blows you off] 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; [Contact the diocese] and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
[/quote]

Ahh, very apt RyanL! :wink:

Thanks, I’ll do that!

Peace be with you!

“I don’t want to argue from the Catechism or Scripture.” That’s grounds for a letter to the Archbishop right there. How could anyone take him seriously after saying something like that?

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=Ianjo99]His entire sermon was that because God is constantly forgiving, one who has a mortal sin on his concious will not go to hell. He basically stated that HIS God would not be so unforgiving. Is it just me, or should he not be teaching that schismatic dribble to a congregation? I know that that is not what the Catholic Church teaches. He also brushed off any dissention by saying that he didn’t want to argue using the Catechism and Scipture.
[/quote]

I’d have probably just asked, *“Well then who is YOUR God? I can only surmise that yours is a false god, because MY God is the one you actually CAN find in Scripture.” :thumbsup: *

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.