Should I talk to my nephew who wants to become Lutheran?

I am so struggling with how to approach my nephew with his decision to leave the Church and become Lutheran. He complained to me that the Catholic Church has become too politcal. That some of the things he is doing is making him a non-Catholic. And since he is being “pushed” out of the faith, he is exploring other religions. He has not discussed with me that his wife is now on birth control. Which I personally do not have a problem with. They have a child already and raising this child has become a very difficult task for his wife and for himself. What can I say or do to make him stop and think about switching religions? Should I leave him alone to do what he feels is best?

This reminds me of Bishop Fulton Sheen’s story of a priest he met who complained to him that the Church was “too rich” and should sell off all its treasures and give the money to the poor. Bishop Sheen asked the priest how much he’d stolen from the collection plate. His guess was right. The priest was justifying his sinful behavior by rationalizing that it was all the Church’s fault. Rather than take responsibility for their sins, people often blame others for their own moral laxity.

[quote=missbeverlyann]What can I say or do to make him stop and think about switching religions? Should I leave him alone to do what he feels is best?
[/quote]

If you refuse to believe in the moral teachings of the Church yourself, you do not have the moral authority you need to challenge him for his refusal to be loyal to the Church.

**Recommended reading:

**Birth Control
Contraception and Sterilization

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.