Should my daughter go on this playdate?

Dear forum members,

I need a little bit of guidance on this issue. I am a coach of my daughter’s soccer team, and one of the new girls has two mothers. Naturally, I got to know them, as is the case with all families, and I get along very well. Their daughter is a very sweet child. Throughout the season, my daughter grew very close to the entire team, including their little girl. Since soccer is over and it’s now swim season, this little girl and my daughter are on the same team and have grown even closer. Just yesterday, my daughter was invited to a play date at this girl’s house. Now, my daughter is familiar with this subject since her uncle has same sex attraction. She loves her uncle, but is aware of Catholic teaching on the subject.
My question is this…Do I let my daughter go over to the other house for a play date? If yes, do I make our position on this matter clear? Do I say yes, but reinforce Catholic teaching (naturally telling her not to say anything, for she is 10 years old)? I am not sure what to do.

Thank you in advance for any help on this subject.
Sincerely,

Mike

Hi Mike,

It is good that your daughter has a friend. But I suggest that if a play date is in order, that it be at your place where you have supervision. Two women living in a sexual relationship is a serious matter. At ten years old, your daughter does not have the maturity to sort through the ramifications that she may be exposed to.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.