Should my kids not receive the precious blood?

My mother wants me to tell my children (9 and 11 years old) not to consume from the chalice for health reasons. I’m torn! I want my children to experience both the precious body and the precious blood, but I don’t want to expose them to illness either. What are your thoughts on this?

Just to be clear here, your children receive both the body and blood of Christ even if they receive only the host. Christ is not divisible, and Communion received under one form is a complete Communion – body, blood, soul, and divinity.

So long as you understand that, whether or not your children receive from the chalice is your decision and not your mother’s. I recommend thanking her for sharing her input and concern, and letting her know that you’ll keep her advice in mind. Then continue on allowing your children to receive from the chalice if you wish. If your mom says anything, just keep saying each time she says something, “Yes, I’m still thinking about that. Thanks for sharing your concern. I’ll keep it in mind.”

Recommended reading:

What Happens at the Consecration by Karl Keating

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.