Should Nuns Take the Pill for Health Reasons?

The world’s 94,790 nuns pay a price for their chastity: an increased risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancers.

A commentary by Australian researchers highlights the health hazards of nulliparity (the condition of never being pregnant) – hazards they say could be minimized by the birth control pill.

“If the Catholic Church could make the oral contraceptive pill freely available to all its nuns, it would reduce the risk of those accursed pests, cancer of the ovary and uterus, and give nuns’ plight the recognition it deserves,” Kara Britt of Monash University in Victoria and Roger Short of the University of Melbourne wrote in The Lancet.

abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/12/08/should-nuns-take-the-pill-for-health-reasons/

This is the topic of the day on a forum I regularly post on. Thought I’d bring it here since it regards our Nuns. I personally don’t see how living a celibate life is a high risk lifestyle choice.

[quote="Charlotte408, post:1, topic:265611"]
abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/12/08/should-nuns-take-the-pill-for-health-reasons/

This is the topic of the day on a forum I regularly post on. Thought I'd bring it here since it regards our Nuns. I personally don't see how living a celibate life is a high risk lifestyle choice.

[/quote]

It is well known in the medical community that birth control pills lead to MORE cases of breast cancer and overarine cancer and only slightly lower cases of uterine cancer. I'm not sure where those articles and studies are, but I'm pretty sure it's a fact.

No.

Ridiculous.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:3, topic:265611"]
No.

Ridiculous.

~Liza

[/quote]

I know. I thought the same thing too.

I saw this on Phatmass earlier. It's ridiculous.

This looks like one of those studies designed to try and get one over on the church. I’m sure the researchers are not all so concerned about the health of a few thousand nuns. :rolleyes: There are plenty of other women who happen to never become pregnant and who don’t take the pill and I don’t see them all agitated about them.

The World Health Organization has the pill on its list of carcinogens.

We can thank Big Pharma for all this incessant drug pushing.:rolleyes:

Ok, just for...the knowledge of it-

Say a nun had some health problem, and she wanted to take the pill to elevate some symptom of it.

Could she take the pill if she WANTED to? I mean, it is okay to take the pill for the right reasons, so if she had one of these reasons, ultimately nothing would be stopping her right?

[quote="Charlotte408, post:8, topic:265611"]
Ok, just for...the knowledge of it-

Say a nun had some health problem, and she wanted to take the pill to elevate some symptom of it.

Could she take the pill if she WANTED to? I mean, it is okay to take the pill for the right reasons, so if she had one of these reasons, ultimately nothing would be stopping her right?

[/quote]

That is correct - she could take it for a health reason. She lives a celibate life, so it would never be contraception for her.

~Liza

See deep down I knew it....all these types of articles are always much ado about NOTHING. :rolleyes:

Maybe the "powers to be" have come up with new approach to eliminate and create problems within the religious communities within the Church. Divide and conquer, sounds like a devilish plan to me:(.

[quote="Charlotte408, post:1, topic:265611"]

This is the topic of the day on a forum I regularly post on. Thought I'd bring it here since it regards our Nuns. I personally don't see how living a celibate life is a high risk lifestyle choice.

[/quote]

Yep. They totally should take The Pill. I mean, it's not like The Pill has any side-effects itself, right? There's those pesky things like blood clots, heart attacks, heart problems, cancer, destroying a women's reproductive system or at least damaging it to where she has a small chance of ever getting pregnant, and if she does she will likely have a miscarriage, etc, but at least there's no side-effects!

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:6, topic:265611"]
This looks like one of those studies designed to try and get one over on the church. I'm sure the researchers are not all so concerned about the health of a few thousand nuns. :rolleyes: There are plenty of other women who happen to never become pregnant and who don't take the pill and I don't see them all agitated about them.

[/quote]

I don't think it's a study designed to try and get one over on the Church, at least not if they know anything about the teachings of the Church. The teachings say that artificial birth control is forbidden to prevent conception. However, contraceptives are allowed if it's to treat a medical condition. Nuns are celibate, so them taking contraceptives for health reasons is a non-issue to begin with. Therefore, if a nun, for fear of uterine cancer for whatever reason is going on with her, takes contraceptives for the perceived health benefits, and that is why she is taking them, she would not be sinning to do so.

Should a nun take the pill for health reasons? I'm not certain. It's true that the pill raises one's chances of some types of cancer (and has a host of other side effects), but it is true that it lowers the chances of other cancers. How people direct their health care is personal, so only each individual person can determine the course of their healthcare and make their decisions accordingly. The important part is that she would not be sinning in making this decisions, as long as she's not trying to avoid conception. Clearly a nun taking the pill to avoid uterine cancer (there's a reason why there's less uterine cancer afterall) is not sinning by doing so. But by doing so, she will raise her chances of getting other cancers.

At one point in my life when I was younger, I considered taking birth control pills for the lessened chances of uterine cancer. I was single, not dating anyone. I decided against it because I weighed the benefits and risks. But I certainly could understand someone choosing to take them if, for example, they have a history of uterine cancer in their family.

If one is not having sex, one cannot, by definition, be practicing "birth control." Otherwise the issue of whether or not to take hormones in the form of prescription medicine should be between an individual and their doctor. I'm sure that there are nuns taking "the pill" today on an individual basis for things like severe painful endometriosis and such conditions. I would have thought that we had moved beyond the place where churchmen would make women suffer for PR purposes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.