Should priests remind those that are in mortal sin not to take the Holy Eucharist?

I just got back from Mass, and I had to abstain from recieving the Holy Eucharist because I need to have my marriage convalidated first.

But I would say that I was one of maybe five who did this out of maybe 200 in the Church.

I think many Catholics who don’t attend regularly think that rule went away 20-30 years ago. Should priests remind us not to recieve the Holy Eucharist if we have mortal sins we have not confessed? Like misssing Mass, sexual impurity etc…? I honestly don’t think that most people know that they aren’t supposed to anymore.

Mike: Yes, I think Priests should be reminding people from the pulpit of the need for Confession if they are conscious of any mortal sins and then they should list some of them. I agree that many people think they don’t have to go to Confession anymore. My Priest is very good about emphasizing the need for Confession. I belong to a fairly small parish but there are always abstainers (including myself at times). Not that I think it’s a good thing that people can’t receive but I think it illustrates that they have a respect for Our Lord present in the Sacrament.

ive always (and will always) thought that they should.
the priest is the shephard and its part his responsibility to keep the flock from sin. catholics unfortunately tend to look at communion as “i have to go” and confession as “i need to go” sacraments.
but anyway, the priests are in a tough position with these things. but then again, its up to the person himself to already know when he can/can’t receive. a little knowledge of the Eucharist goes a looooong way. priests should catechize better, we need to learn better. any thoughts?

so it is time for communion, everybody stands up, the priest reminds those in mortal sin not to receive, and half the Church sits down. duh, not very pastoral. Better would be as part of the homily or even before Mass begins as visitors are being welcomed, to remind people of the rules for receiving communion, and pointing out where they are in the missalette.

Two Sunday’s ago I spoke about some of these sins and reminded people that going to communion while knowing that you are in the state of moral sin was an additional sin. At the end of the homily I asked them to read the statement on receiving communion from the missalette.

I don’t know how it sunk in. In one parish there are several who abstain every week, always have. I don’t know that they needed the reminder. In the other parish I don’t think anyone abstains. They have not always shared the same priest and that has had an effect in their formation.

Yes, the faithful need to be reminded not to present themselves to receive the Eucharist if they are in a state of mortal sin. When I first started to read this thread, I was thinking that by way of reminder, it would be periodic. But reading along further, I realized that, unfortunately, not all people attend Mass every week, then there are visitors, etc. So the reminder needs to be consistent. It could get ‘old’ to hear the reminder every week, for those who do attend faithfully, but to leave it to chance and hope that those who need to be aware read the missalette before Mass, doesn’t work either.

It is sad that so many people have lost sight of what constitutes a mortal sin. I expect if everyone had a true sense of the things they do every day that are a mortal sin (artificial birth control, divorced and remarried or dating, without benefit of an approved annulment, just to name a few) there would be a significantly less number of people receiving. There is a great examination of conscience using the Ten Commandments as a guide that really makes you think.

Yes, the priest should warn non-Catholics and those in mortal sin not to partake of the Eucharist.
At St. Michael’s here in Miami, back in 1991, there was a priest named Father Dan, and boy, he made sure to make that announcement (but BEFORE everyone stood up to come forward).
He would add: Again, I warn you, do not partake of the Eucharist, for to do so would be a Sacrilege.

We need many more priests like him.

Jaypeeto3

[quote=puzzleannie]so it is time for communion, everybody stands up, the priest reminds those in mortal sin not to receive, and half the Church sits down. duh, not very pastoral. Better would be as part of the homily or even before Mass begins as visitors are being welcomed, to remind people of the rules for receiving communion, and pointing out where they are in the missalette.
[/quote]

Who cares about being “pastoral”. These people are committing a mortal sin by taking the Eucharist in a state of sin. They blaspheme the very Body, Blood, Soul, & Divinity of Christ!

A warning about taking communion in a state of sin (with a reminder that B/C, invalid marriages, missing mass, etc are sins) should be given every Mass. It seems that most people either don’t know, or don’t care. we NEED to fix that for their own good. A few hurt feelings are better than lost souls…

[quote=Isidore_AK]Who cares about being “pastoral”. These people are committing a mortal sin by taking the Eucharist in a state of sin. They blaspheme the very Body, Blood, Soul, & Divinity of Christ!

A warning about taking communion in a state of sin (with a reminder that B/C, invalid marriages, missing mass, etc are sins) should be given every Mass. It seems that most people either don’t know, or don’t care. we NEED to fix that for their own good. A few hurt feelings are better than lost souls…
[/quote]

How did you all learn your catechism? Was it taught well? Was it taught as this is what you MUST believe or what? This is huge problem. The rules will never change so… and I don’t think they should, this is from the Apostles/Jesus Christ.

Regardless of dogma, I truly feel that Jesus would have given these people communion. That’s what he did in life–he gave people of himself that others judged as not worthy. Just my two cents, and I realize not a valid argument according to doctrine.

Yes, Jesus would have because He is God, and could read souls first, and He has the power to forgive sins on His own…however He did give this power to forgive to the priest, and so the priest in His place will determine the state of our souls… but there needs to be a confession first because most priests can’t read souls…like a Padre Pio…

If you are not ready to live the life that Christ asks of us…then why receive His body and blood, it’s so insulting to the God that made us.

I understand how you feel, but confession is not a mean thing…it brings our soul back to life from being dead in sin.

We should be on our knees and kiss the priest’s feet for bringing us back to life after mortal sin!

This is a doctrine not of the Church’s own invention, but what Christ handed down to the Apostles…The Church must keep it going, and our priest must preach this to the faithful, or else souls will remain dead in sin.

Ave Maria.

[quote=PapaBenny]Yes, Jesus would have because He is God, and could read souls first, and He has the power to forgive sins on His own…however He did give this power to forgive to the priest, and so the priest in His place will determine the state of our souls… but there needs to be a confession first because most priests can’t read souls…like a Padre Pio…

[/quote]

That makes sense, I hadn’t considered it from that angle. I talk to Jesus as if he is a friend, but he is God as well, and we humans wouldn’t be capable of the same acts as Jesus was, of course.

thanks PapaBenny.

I’ve been in churches where people form the communion line from the back, so some wouldn’t feel funny not going up–fewer can see you.

Also, I once heard that a priest recommended that people form the communion line sort of randomly for the same reason. I think that would be hard to do.

Priests should “teach” as well as “preach”! :thumbsup:

I did this once. :frowning: This is a little off topic, but when I confessed this and a lot of other bad sins, the priest didn’t give me any Penance…am I still forgiven?

[quote=scapularkid8]I did this once. :frowning: This is a little off topic, but when I confessed this and a lot of other bad sins, the priest didn’t give me any Penance…am I still forgiven?
[/quote]

Did he give you absolution while you recited an act of contrition?

[quote=Mike_D30]Did he give you absolution while you recited an act of contrition?
[/quote]

yes

[quote=scapularkid8]yes
[/quote]

Than rest easy, you are forgiven…

The question that has always baffled me is that it takes three conditions to commit mortal sin. If the three conditions aren’t met, there is no mortal sin. So, according to what I’m told, there is really nothing to qorry about it! I am baffled…

No Priests shouldn’t remind people on an individual basis to omit receiving the Eucharist, the conscience must convict the soul to it’s duties. The Priest can simply from time to time include in his homily the importance of confession before receiving communion if a person knows they are in mortal sin and more generally to remind people of the graces available in confession and that is all the Priest should do, otherwise it smacks of persecution. It would be appropriate to speak of virtues to his parishoners and within in this highlight what the opposite is of a particular virtue, even still the knowing of grave matter still does not constitute a mortal sin, as y’all know.

Or perhaps the Priest should whack everyone over the head with a big stick on arrival at Mass, name them all as sinners and tell those specifically he suspects to be in mortal sin to get to confession ponto or else! (joke) :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.