Should Resurrection Crucifixes be hung in Churches?

At my parish, a Ressurection Crucifix is hung instead of the Crucified Christ Crucifix which you see in most churches. Can these crucifixes be hung in place of the traditional crucifixes? Are the resurrected crucifixes more of post Vatican 2? Also, where’d they originate from?

In my parish we have both. In the main sacurary hangs the Crucified Christ over the alter.

In the day chapel, over the alter, the resurrected Christ.

I have never heard that either one is, technically speaking, wrong.

Maybe just grates against the nerves of some, however…

During Mass, there is to be a crucifix, specified as Christ crucified, in the sanctuary. If the parish has the resurrection style cross as the main cross, a regular Crucifix can be carried as the procession cross and remain in the Sanctuary during Mass.

It’s not my favorite but it’s technically allowed.

I don’t understand how something that is artistically rendered as resurrected can be said to be a crucifix, properly speaking. These things are mutually incompatible in the same moment. Christ was resurrected after he was crucified, after all.

I agree. Technically, it might be called a resurrection cross, but if the body isn’t on it then I don’t see how it can be a crucifix.

You are correct. A cross without the corpus of Christ Crucified does not meet the Church’s definition of being a crucifix.

As such, there is to be an actual crucifix within the Sanctuary, most likely the processional cross.

Oops! There is a duplicate thread where I just posted this, but I’ll simply re-post it here:

Lately I’ve been seeing this and related questions here at CAF. Here is one:
CAF - Ask An Apologist: Is a crucifix with a Risen Christ wrong?
Both the question and the answer are not that simple (precise wording matters), but the last paragraph says that such a cross “does not qualify as the required crucifix in the sanctuary,” though it may be permissible in other settings.

Also see this:
CAF - Why do Catholics depict Jesus on the cross?
It contains the following statement which gave me something to think about:
Jesus did not redeem us on Easter Sunday; He redeemed us on Good Friday by His suffering and death on the cross. We keep the image of his suffering body on the cross so that we will never forget how much He loves us.
Peace and Blessings to you and your parish.

I can not quote any documents,but in the past I have read that it is not allowed to have a resurrected Christ cross in place of a traditional crucifix.This definitely appeared after Vatican ll,I never saw such a cross until the 1990’s.

This I think is the more interesting question. Does anyone know who sells such things? If we knew the source, it might be possible to check in old catalogs, or contact the manufacturer or supplier for the first year these were available. That might get us closer to the answer.

No. They cannot replace the crucifix.

They don’t even make sense. Christ died on the Cross and rose from the tomb. He did not rise from the cross.

A crucifix with the image of Christ crucified is required somewhere on or near the altar. But you can have other images of Christ too. Personally, I really dislike the resurrection cross.

which is a big fat :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!! ALL Christians would do well to remember this. So, cousin questions are:

Why do Catholics use ONLY the Crucifix since He was resurrected for us all as well?
Why do Prostestants use ONLY the open cross (which is NOT a Crucifix !:thumbsup:) since He died for us all as well?

What is a Resurrection Crucifix (Cross)?

I will guess that some people call the open cross a crucifix. Perhaps with the thought that all crosses are crucifixes, which they are not. Just a guess on my poor part. I could certainly be wrong.

Precisely my point

It’s a cross upon which Jesus is depicted as resurrected rather than dead or dying. The point being made here is that this is not a crucifix, by definition.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.