Should the American Flag Be Banned -- in America?

Wasn't sure whether to post this in Secular News or Politics, but...

Just in case you haven’t heard: Fox News has a poll "Should the American Flag Be Banned -- in America?"

Moveon.org, Organizing for America, and SEIU have been twittering today to go to Fox Poll and vote to ban the Flag .... and right now the ban the US Flag folks are ahead.

GO HERE NOW:

foxnews.com/opinion/2010/05/06/american-flag-banned-america/

:confused::confused::confused: Why

This is the United States of America.. We have a flag which represents our country..
What would Francis Scott Key say?
What would George Washington say?
What would Betsy Ross say?

If the U.S. bans flying of the American flag, I will move to the Philippines, Vietnam, or Thailand and fly the flag there. The United States is getting wacky day by day. Prolonged peace, political correctness, multiculturalism, and other modernism have neutered American people. A lot of young Americans are dying over here so idiots back home can have the freedom to be traitorous.

What is this poll in relation to?

This thread is a waste of time. :(

Why is it a waste of time?Because YOU happen to disagree with it.Obviously othedon't think so.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:4, topic:201194"]
What is this poll in relation to?

[/quote]

Im pretty sure its in response to the people who were kicked out of school on Cinco de Mayo because of the flags on their shirts

Holy cow!!!!1 More people have said yes than no!!!!!

Seriously? We are going to ban Our OWN FLAG?!?!?!?! Thats like saying we should not have the Eucharist in a Catholic Church because it might offend non Catholics attending the service.

How much crazier can we get?

FSC

What is this about? Did something happen somewhere? Well, at any rate I voted no.

ChadS

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:5, topic:201194"]
This thread is a waste of time. :(

[/quote]

I have to agree.

I finally found this "poll", and here is what I found.

1. It was done on May 6, 2010. (probably in response to that California school incident)

2. Even Fox News states "This is not a scientific poll"

Common sense will tell you that polls like this, on the internet of all places, cannot be trusted.

People will vote multiple times thinking they are being funny. Others will vote multiple times just to get people riled up.

Common sense would also tell us that if the majority of Americans felt this way, it would be all over the news, all the time, day and night.

I haven't heard of any Veteran's groups (VFW, AMVets, etc.) even commenting on this.

Don't people think we would have heard something from them?

Being a veteran myself, I can almost guarantee you that if there was any validity to this poll at all, there would be a heck of an uprising in this country. With the veterans leading the way.

[quote="ChadS, post:9, topic:201194"]
What is this about? Did something happen somewhere? Well, at any rate I voted no.

ChadS

[/quote]

I believe the previous poster is correct. The issue behind the poll was that five students were sent home for wearing American flag clothes and bandannas on Cinco De Mayo and refusing to take of the bandanas and turn their shirts inside out. Here are four of them sans bandannas:

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/content/img/f265404/0505lostudents.jpg

[quote="ChadS, post:9, topic:201194"]

ChadS

[/quote]

Yes, this happened about 30 miles from where I live. On May 5 ("Cinco de Mayo"), some kids were wearing clothing themed on the American flag. Some of the "offenders" were even Hispanic. These kids were not trying to minimize their peers (the principal alleged they were inciting hostility). They just like their country and picked out clothes that express independent of any significance of the day. The principal of the school called them into her office and demanded they change clothes or be suspended. They refused and were sent home.

The principal was reprimanded but to my knowledge has not offered a sincere apology. California has a law that all educators must support the USA. I think that should have been invoked to remove her.

[quote="SonCatcher, post:12, topic:201194"]
These kids were not trying to minimize their peers (the principal alleged they were inciting hostility). They just like their country and picked out clothes that express independent of any significance of the day.

[/quote]

Sure, those kids chose to show up at school decked out in the American flag from head to toe because they simultaneously felt an urge to display their patriotism purely coincidentally on Cinco De Mayo. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

[quote="SonCatcher, post:12, topic:201194"]
Yes, this happened about 30 miles from where I live. On May 5 ("Cinco de Mayo"), some kids were wearing clothing themed on the American flag. Some of the "offenders" were even Hispanic. These kids were not trying to minimize their peers (the principal alleged they were inciting hostility). They just like their country and picked out clothes that express independent of any significance of the day. The principal of the school called them into her office and demanded they change clothes or be suspended. They refused and were sent home.

The principal was reprimanded but to my knowledge has not offered a sincere apology. California has a law that all educators must support the USA. I think that should have been invoked to remove her.

[/quote]

Okay, that clears things up. That seems so long ago to me that I was racking my brain trying to think of anything the poll could've been referring to.

ChadS

It,s still the USA right?When did foreign holidays take precedence over ones right to express love for the country one lives in.That principal should be forced to attend a civics class.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:13, topic:201194"]
Sure, those kids chose to show up at school decked out in the American flag from head to toe because they simultaneously felt an urge to display their patriotism purely coincidentally on Cinco De Mayo. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

So what if it was on Cinco De Mayo or St. Patrick's Day or Chinese New year day or any other day. Since when is it wrong to display American flags on t-shirts? Why should anyone else care unless they're too easily offended?

[quote="livnlern, post:16, topic:201194"]
Since when is it wrong to display American flags on t-shirts? Why should anyone else care unless they're too easily offended?

[/quote]

This isn't a simple matter of a couple of kids wearing American flag t-shirts. This is a couple of kids wrapping themselves in the American flag from head to toe to solicit reactions from their teachers and fellow students. They did it to cause a disruption not out of some newly found sense of patriotism.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:17, topic:201194"]
This isn't a simple matter of a couple of kids wearing American flag t-shirts. This is a couple of kids wrapping themselves in the American flag from head to toe to solicit reactions from their teachers and fellow students. They did it to cause a disruption not out of some newly found sense of patriotism.

[/quote]

Maybe it was just to show their national pride. Like school pride when one school plays another in football and the kids are just proud of where they go to school. Perfectly normal behavior, and I'm surprised the principal didn't allow for that instead of heavy handing the situation.

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:13, topic:201194"]

[/quote]

Actually, if you had followed the story while it was unfolding, several people, including the kids parents stated that the kids often wore clothing with the flag on it.

Some of the other people stating this were teachers and other students, so I don't think it was a sense of new found patriotism.

Even if it was, myself, and many other men and women fought for that flag. We are currently in a war situation in Afghanistan, and Iraq, not to mention all of the border flap going on right now in Mexico (which has been going on for awhile too), in case you hadn't noticed. There is nothing wrong with showing your patriotism, no matter what the day/date is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.