Should the new translation be used yet?

I went to mass today at a parish I do not usually attend and they used the new form of the Penitential Rite.( They had prayer cards in the pews) They didn’t use the rest of the new translation.
Aren’t we supposed to wait until the First Sunday in Advent?

Many pastors are slowly introducing the new translations to make the transition eaiser to comprehend.

Do you know if the new translation was actually used at a Mass there? I don’t think it’s illegal to show anyone what they are in advance.

To ease our transition to the new our parish started this past Ash Wednesday with silence during the Prayer of the Faithful instead of “Lord, hear our prayer.”

No, we do not have to wait. The translation has been approved by the Apostolic See and can be used now. It is required to be used by Advent of 2011.

No, the USCCB has been clear that the new translations are not to be used until the First Sunday of Advent. They can be taught or discussed, but not used in Mass. To my knowledge, the Prayer of the Faithful was not included in the translations, so the silence is simply someone’s idea.

I will just keep responding with the Latin instead of some of the more egregiously defective translations, like I have done for past few decades.
It has always been licit to use Latin.
I will start using the new corrected translation when they say it is OK to do so.

What, exactly, did you use?

Assuming you’re located in the United States, the new translation should not be used until Nov. 27, 2011, the first Sunday of Advent (emphasis added):

The texts of the Order of Mass have been made available for catechetical purposes, but the full text of the Missal will not be available for use in the Liturgy until the first Sunday of Advent 2011 (November 27, 2011). The bishops have asked that all wait until that day to use the text in liturgical celebrations in order to avoid unnecessary confusion and to allow the maximum amount of catechetical time available. Cards and other participation aids containing the responses of the people will be available for use during the transition, but it is hoped that within a year’s time the people will become freed from the use of such cards.

usccb.org/romanmissal/faqs2.shtml#7

To my knowledge all other English-language Bishop’s Conferences that have approved the new text have also scheduled its implementation for the same Sunday (but I could be incorrect about this).

I stand corrected :o

The texts of the Order of Mass have been made available for catechetical purposes, but the full text of the Missal will not be available for use in the Liturgy until the first Sunday of Advent 2011 (November 27, 2011). The bishops have asked that all wait until that day to use the text in liturgical celebrations in order to avoid unnecessary confusion and to allow the maximum amount of catechetical time available. Cards and other participation aids containing the responses of the people will be available for use during the transition, but it is hoped that within a year’s time the people will become freed from the use of such cards.

usccb.org/romanmissal/faqs2.shtml#7

I highlighted a different part. It seems that what this priest did is perfectly consistent with the USCCB’s directive. They gave these cards out for a reason - “for use during the transition”.

Respectfully, it’s quite clear from the statement by the USCCB that the new texts are not to be used during liturgical celebrations (i.e. Mass) until Nov. 27, 2011, which according to the O.P. is exactly what occurred.

The transition to which the statement refers is the period after that while everyone is getting used to the new texts. That’s not to say that instruction can’t occur before Nov. 27 - it definitely should - but this can and should be done outside of the Mass. We’re planning to start using 5 or 10 minutes before every Mass to begin introducing the new texts to our congregation; we’re planning to start after Easter or Pentecost.

Correct. There are copyright issues involved that make this date non-negotiable. However, it is okay to view it on their website right now (if it’s available).

When I was at the Federation of DIocesan Liturgical Commissions meeting last October this question was asked of Bishop Serretelli, Msgr. Sherman,and Fr Hilgartner from the BCDW. They said, numerous times, in no uncertain terms that the new texts MAY NOT be used at Mass until the first Sunday of Advent. They can be introduced before or after Mass or at workshops but may not be used in the context of the liturgy. The cards and such are for instructional purposes until that time. Personally I think it is too early to put the cards in the pews. We have been having workshops and do give out some of the texts, but we don’t want people to start using them. Also, with eight months to go, those cards are going to get a bit ratty in the meantime.

Okay, I withdraw my opinion - but without prejudice! I still don’t see any proof that these cards cannot be used until after 11/27, but I will accede to those who are more knowledgeable on the subject. And I hope that everyone will be charitable with this priest, because maybe he had the same misunderstanding.

You are incorrect for Australia. From the Melbourne Archdiocese website (at cam.org.au/evangelisation/faqs/faqs.html ):

"When do we start using the new Mass texts?
In 2011.
Australia’s Catholic Bishops have decided to implement the changes to the Mass in this way.

January 1 – Learn to sing new words
• We can sing the new translation of the… Lord Have Mercy, Gloria, Creed, Holy Holy, Acclamations and Lamb of God from January 1.
• Check the Archdiocesan Missal website below for the new and revised Mass settings. …

June 12 – Learn to say new words Pentecost Sunday
• We’re encouraged to say the new translation of the above from June 12.
• Plus the new translation of familiar responses by the people.
• The words will be on a people’s Mass card.
• We can introduce them all at once, or gradually.

November 1 – The official starting date All Saints Day
• We’re all expected to be using the revised Mass texts.
• The Altar Missal for the priest will be introduced as soon as it’s ready."

I agree!

This is a very tough pastoral situation we’re all being placed in (priests, music directors, choirs, and congregations) - basically everyone will attend Mass on Christ the King (Nov 20) with the current translation and then attend Mass the following week with the new translation. It’s going to certainly test all English-speaking Catholics.

Awesome, thanks for setting me straight!

In one sense you can’t really blame the priest, especially if communication from the diocese regarding this is not good. Here in the parish we are bombarded almost every day by publishers with new materials for the Missal. We have people contacting us to do workshops. Unless there is clear direction from the bishop or the diocesan WOrship Office, some priests might think that this can begin at anytime.

I am on our diocesan liturgy commission and we have received calls about priests who have started using the translation. SOme of these priests haven’t shown up at any meetings that have been held regarding this. SOme have misunderstood the communication that is coming from the diocese. Some just think their way is “better.” And some don’t care. I recall being at a national meeting where a priest stood up (and this was last year) and asked why he has never heard of this change in translation before? The bishop’s jaw dropped, as did everyone’s in the room. Was this guy hiding under a rock for the last 10 years?

So, yes there are some priests who don’t know that they are not allowed to begin using the translation in the celebration of the liturgy until Advent. That is not to say they can’t use them in instruction, as I said earlier. We are thinking of staging an instructional Mass sometime in early NOvember to actually practice using the texts. We have already given our parishioners lots of material on them so they are hopefully aware of what the changes will be and can read over them and maybe learn them.

One thing to keep in mind is that once the texts have recieved the appropriate recognitio, the USCCB has no authority to bind a bishop on the texts.

So it IS possible now for a bishop to give approval to trials. But it would require the Ordinary of the diocese to make that decision. A priest cannot begin using these texts on his authority alone.

To my knowledge, the Prayer of the Faithful was not included in the translations, so the silence is simply someone’s idea

You are correct. Silence at this point is NOT part of the new translation. It would have to be someone’s liturgical innovation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.