Should the Pope still go to Turkey?

As you may know the Holy Father is supposed to go to Turkey in November on the Feast of St. Andrew to visit the Patriarch of Constantinople. Recently there was a book published in Turkey on the assassination of the Pope. This was before the current riots. Since then there have been threats on the Popes life and discussion of arresting him when he lands in Turkey. Also in past months there has been increased persecution of Christians and several priests have been murdered. So, is it safe for the Pope to go and should he?

I voted yes, he should not be intimidated by the Muslims violent behavior. As long as the Patriarch and Turkey officially continues to invite him then he should go. We should pray for his safety if he does make the trip.

I did not vote, as neither option reflected my views: Yes, he should go, and No, it’s not particularly risky.

So your saying the radical Muslim’s bark is worse than their bite?

If so, we should remember Al Qaida is still on the loose, and they were known to have a presence in Turkey. Not to mention other extremist groups that have cropped up since 9-11.

As well as the fact that Turkey is very geographically near Syria and Iraq, and we both know what political/ethno-religious hotbeds they are.

Though I personally have reason to believe its risky, I think he should still go. To show the Islamic radicals he is not a coward, and that he is serious about reconciliation and better relations between Muslims and Christians.

Yes. Especially in Turkey.

[quote=Catholic29]If so, we should remember Al Qaida is still on the loose, and they were known to have a presence in Turkey.
[/quote]

Al Qaeda no doubt has a presence in Italy as well. I can’t recall, were they the group that was going to poison the Roman water supply? Although it may be dangerous for Benedict to return to Rome from Castel Gandolfo, I think he should stare danger in the face and report to work at the Vatican.

[quote=Catholic29]As well as the fact that Turkey is very geographically near Syria and Iraq, and we both know what political/ethno-religious hotbeds they are.
[/quote]

Also, let’s not forget that the Turkish military is loosely allied with that of Israel, another state which has strained relations with the Vatican. The risks abound.

If the pope were going on some Ken Kesey-style hippie bus tour of Turkey, he might be at serious risk. However, he’s a visiting head of state, so I don’t think Turkey is going to take any more chances with him than they do when other heads of state come calling.

I voted yes, but Lord knows it’s easier said than done. On the other hand, I wouldn’t blame him at all if he decided not to go. :frowning:

Should the Pope still go to Turkey?

YES!!! why afraid of this muslims? Enough we are being politically correct to them and now its the time to show the world what kind of people they are. And I hope the Vatican would consider for the correction of Nostra Aetate 3. I really disagree with it. :mad:

No. Apparently there has already been talk of charging the Pope for violating Turkish laws… when he was speaking in Germany! Why should he risk getting arrested when arriving on their soil.

I agree…I heard the same. There is also talk of revoking the invitation unless there is an apology…

I don’t think it is a question if he should go. I think it is a question if the pope is going to stand up for Jesus or chicken out.

is it crucial that he goes to Turkey?

Did Peter go to Rome? Did Peter return to Rome? I believe the HF will got to Turkey for exactly this reason.

I’ve actually spoken with some Turkish legistlators in the past, and what you need to know about the nation is that there is a HUGE divide between rich and poor, divided among west and east. The influence of Ataturk and western values is strong in the western half of Turkey. The further east you go, the more poor, backward, problematic, and extreme it becomes. There are many in Turkey who are simply frustrated with the undercurrents of radicalism in the nation, but as a democracy, these Islamic parties are gaining more and more posts in the government as the east grows in population (family size tends to be much larger in the east). I have travelled throughout the nation, even to the highly conservative city of Konya, and experienced no problems at all. To be fair though, this was before 9/11. Western Turks, on the whole, embrace freedom of religion, are working toward real democracy, and are keen toward better relations with the west. Eastern Turks are influenced by the same problems that trouble the rest of the Middle East. Most of these people opposing the Pope in the Turkish government are from the Islamic party. This is the type of thing that would have Ataturk rolling in his grave.

I believe that in the interests and safety of our Holy Father he shouldnt go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.