Should the prayer be "for many" or "for all"?

I have a friend who will not return to the Church because of the change Vatican II made in the eucharistic prayer from “shed for many” to “shed for all.”

Can anyone help me on this? Did not Jesus come for all?

**Recommended reading:

What Constitutes Valid Consecration?** by Michael E. Daniels

The article above will give you some background on the controversy and give you information on how to answer your friend’s concern. More troubling, however, is her decision to separate herself from Christ’s own Church because of a change she does not understand. While it is appreciable that it is not always easy to accept changes for which one cannot fathom the reason, fidelity requires trust when the Church makes a just change with which we are unable to personally agree. The solution is not to leave the Church or to expect the Church to order itself to our feelings, but to pray for the grace that our feelings will be ordered to the Church and its teachings. The following quote by St. Anselm, often called the Doctor of Scholasticism, may be helpful for all those struggling to understand the Church’s teachings:

Nor do I seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand. For this too I believe, that unless I first believe, I shall not understand.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.