Should the Tabernacle be left unlocked?

I'm just wondering, my University has a chapel that is left open 24/7. Occasionally I will go in if I have a break between classes. I've noticed that the tabernacle is constantly left open with the key left in the lock. As well, today there was no candle beside it even though the blessed sacrament was inside.

Now this is a secular university, and it is left completely unattended. Anyone could walk in and take the blessed sacrament if they wanted too and no one would be around to even notice. Twice I have locked it and placed the key under the alter, but the Chaplin keeps leaving it in after he says mass.

What should be done about something like this?

Appalling if it isn't empty. However if it is empty maybe the key is in and the door open to prove it

[quote="Jimmygill88, post:2, topic:319627"]
Appalling if it isn't empty. However if it is empty maybe the key is in and the door open to prove it

[/quote]

No it's not empty. It's left in even when the candle is present. And even the latest time when I tried to remove the key the door opened and I saw that it was indeed present. I closed it and turned the lock before removing the key.

Can. 938 §1. The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved habitually in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.

§2. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved is to be situated in some part of the church or oratory which is distinguished, conspicuous, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.

§3. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved habitually is to be immovable, made of solid and opaque material, and locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is avoided as much as possible.

§4. For a grave cause, it is permitted to reserve the Most Holy Eucharist in some other fit-ting and more secure place, especially at night.

§5. The person responsible for the church or oratory is to take care that the key of the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved is safeguarded most diligently.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3C.HTM

[quote="kmo_9000, post:1, topic:319627"]
I'm just wondering, my University has a chapel that is left open 24/7. Occasionally I will go in if I have a break between classes. I've noticed that the tabernacle is constantly left open with the key left in the lock. As well, today there was no candle beside it even though the blessed sacrament was inside.

Now this is a secular university, and it is left completely unattended. Anyone could walk in and take the blessed sacrament if they wanted too and no one would be around to even notice. Twice I have locked it and placed the key under the alter, but the Chaplin keeps leaving it in after he says mass.

[/quote]

What would Christ do?

All are welcome to enter in Christ.

Be thankful for the freedom to be able to do so.:)

This is a dangerous situation. Speak to the chaplain about this, and if he is not receptive go up the next level, to the Bishop if necessary. This is endangering the Holy Eucharist to be desecrated.

[/quote]

I would speak to the Chaplain about it, and if this continues, you may need to report this to one of his superiors. The Holy Eucharist should not be left unattended and unprotected in this manner.

Like others said: speak to the Chaplain about it immediately, because this is very grave matter.

[quote="Ducklyn, post:5, topic:319627"]
What would Christ do?

[/quote]

I think you are missing the point.

[/quote]

Report it asap. Should not be left un-attended or the key left in place,if I am correct.

[quote="Ducklyn, post:5, topic:319627"]
What would Christ do?

[/quote]

I don't think you understand. The tabernacle is wide open. This exposes Jesus to possible abuse. The tabernacle should remain closed and locked at all times to guard from this.

The chapel being open is of course always welcome. Fulton Sheen used to sit and pray with a closed tabernacle 1 hour a day in whatever city he was in for most of his older adult life.

[quote="Nicea325, post:10, topic:319627"]
Report it asap. Should not be left un-attended or the key left in place,if I am correct.

[/quote]

Completely agree. Notify someone as soon as you can.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:11, topic:319627"]
I don't think you understand. The tabernacle is wide open. This exposes Jesus to possible abuse. The tabernacle should remain closed and locked at all times to guard from this.

[/quote]

I think you misunderstood the OP in post #1 when he said " the tabernacle is constantly left open with the key left in the lock".

I don't think he meant the door was open, but just that the door was unlocked (while closed) because in post #3 he said, "when I tried to remove the key the door opened and I saw that it was indeed present".

Nevertheless, the tabernacle should be locked. OP, you need to have a discussion with the priest. Just removing the key without any communication to him doesn't solve the problem. From his perspective, someone is messing with the key. You need to let him know you are the one removing the key and why you are doing this. Suggest to him politely that, outside of Mass, the tabernacle should be locked and the key secured.

[/quote]

That is very definitely wrong. Bring it up with the chaplin. If he won't resolve the problem go to the Bishop and I don't mean maybe. Linus2nd

The tabernacle should be locked and the candle should be lit when the consecrated host is in reserve.

If the Chaplin is anything like my school’s, I’d just go straight to the bishop.

[quote="thomasf, post:15, topic:319627"]
The tabernacle should be locked and the candle should be lit when the consecrated host is in reserve.

[/quote]

:thumbsup: ...and the key should be removed from the door and put in a safe place

[quote="zab, post:17, topic:319627"]
:thumbsup: ...and the key should be removed from the door and put in a safe place

[/quote]

I was considering just mailing the key to the bishop. The Chaplin is very liberal, at mass he lets students read the Gospel and just stands and does nothing (according to Canon law only a priest or deacon should read the Gospel. And when I went to confession to him he didn't ask for my act of contrition, didn't give me any penance and went on this whole thing about the "great spirit" forgiving my sins. They are also having a Seder Meal tomorrow, which as we all should know is a Jewish ceremony.

I'm graduating in less than a month, this shouldn't be my responsibility. I'm so sick of priests like this, how does he not know these things... It's like he is ashamed of Catholicism.

[quote="kmo_9000, post:18, topic:319627"]
I was considering just mailing the key to the bishop. The Chaplin is very liberal, at mass he lets students read the Gospel and just stands and does nothing (according to Canon law only a priest or deacon should read the Gospel. And when I went to confession to him he didn't ask for my act of contrition, didn't give me any penance and went on this whole thing about the "great spirit" forgiving my sins. They are also having a Seder Meal tomorrow, which as we all should know is a Jewish ceremony.

I'm graduating in less than a month, this shouldn't be my responsibility. I'm so sick of priests like this, how does he not know these things... It's like he is ashamed of Catholicism.

[/quote]

You need to go through the chain of command and first speak to the campus chaplain. I would suggest that the next time you see the key left in the tabernacle, take the key, make sure the door is locked then return the key to the chaplain the next time you see him. Tell him that it was left in the tabernacle again. Do not put it under the altar where anyone can pick it up. If the chaplain scolds you or dismisses your concerns, then I would write to the bishop and explain to him what you have witnessed and experienced from your chaplain. Do not mail the key to the bishop.

I usually take with a grain of salt any posts criticising priests' lack of piety in the eyes of the poster because some people would find fault with Christ Himself. This is different.

If what you say is true, you MUST have a serious discussion with the priest and if he doesn't listen you MUST report the matter to his superior.

I'm surprised that they are relying on a single candle in front of the tabernacle. Surely there should be something more reliable to signify the presence of the Sacred Host? Are you sure that the host left in the unlocked tabernacle had actually been consecrated?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.