Should the Tabernacle be left unlocked?

[quote="Bookcat, post:4, topic:319627"]
Can. 938 §1. The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved habitually in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.

§2. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved is to be situated in some part of the church or oratory which is distinguished, conspicuous, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer.

§3. The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved habitually is to be immovable, made of solid and opaque material, and locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is avoided as much as possible.

§4. For a grave cause, it is permitted to reserve the Most Holy Eucharist in some other fit-ting and more secure place, especially at night.

§5. The person responsible for the church or oratory is to take care that the key of the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved is safeguarded most diligently.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3C.HTM

[/quote]

Wait a minute. What about those older churches with the side chapels? Is it wrong to reserve the Eucharist there?

I am glad to see this thread because I bring Holy Communion home to my shut-in mother and have often found the key in the lock of the tabernacle. I wondered what the point of that was, but didn't realize it was actually wrong. I will make sure to fix the situation when I find it so from now on.

[quote="Kensho, post:21, topic:319627"]
Wait a minute. What about those older churches with the side chapels? Is it wrong to reserve the Eucharist there?

I am glad to see this thread because I bring Holy Communion home to my shut-in mother and have often found the key in the lock of the tabernacle. I wondered what the point of that was, but didn't realize it was actually wrong. I will make sure to fix the situation when I find it so from now on.

[/quote]

I just want to make it clear to those reading these posts that not just anyone can bring Communion to their homebound family. The homebound person (or someone representing them) who desires to have Communion brought to them must contact their parish. An Extraordinay Minister of Holy Communion to the homebound will be assigned to bring them Communion.

It gives me pause to see talk of taking the key and doing things with it. The OP has not asserted that he is employed or has any standing with the chaplain's office (note spelling). It is not your key to take. You shouldn't be putting it under the altar, or retrieving it to give to the chaplain, and certainly not mailing it to the bishop. You should leave it where it is. It is only going to hurt your case when it becomes known that you have been tampering with the key yourself.

Perhaps there is campus security or police that is tasked with the safety of the campus. Perhaps you could have a word with them and explain that this is a priceless treasure that should be protected. They can at least understand the implications of the key to something - a vault - left unattended.

Use the principle of subsidiarity and try to resolve this at the lowest level possible. It is a serious problem, but if you approach the bishop, he will probably ask you if you have exhausted all other means of solving it before coming to him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.