Should this be confessed?

I’m having something of a quarter-life crisis at the moment. I’m halfway through my fourth year of University, I’m just about to graduate, and I have no idea about what will happen to me by this time next year.

The problem is that this uncertainty is causing me a great deal of anxiety. I’m also a person who is extremely sensitive to depression. I’ve struggled with major depression on and off for the past three-four years. The combination of these two factors has resulted in persistent, re-occurrent suicidal ideation. While I have no intention of following through on any of these thoughts, I do admit to entertaining them. It has recently occurred to me that this might be sinful (in the same way that entertaining lustful thoughts) and that I should be attempting to dismiss these thoughts (in the same one we are required to dismiss unchaste thoughts).

My question is: are suicidal ideations sinful and should I confess them at the next opportunity? Truthfully, I’d rather keep all of this on the down-lo if possible. Since I have no intention of following through, I’m wondering if this counts as sinful or is merely just sad.

Yes I believe they are. That’s one of the things we have to examine our conscious for. I would ask you to go to confession to seek help and healing on this from a priest. He will guide you with your needs. Don’t be afraid, the first step is to recognize the problem and seek help, I think you are already on the right track.

I would say to you peace and Joy comes from Christ, that said, you might benefit with counselling from a priest and/or professional help. So many times people could benefit from help if they’d only just ask, and then once they get there, they wondered why they didn’t before. Seeking counselling is coming from a position of strength not weakness.

As we say in mass most heartily… May the peace of Christ be with you always! if I were there I’d give you a handshake or a hug…:slight_smile: Karen

I think it is sort of like lust. If we dismiss the thoughts immediately, it’s one thing. If we dwell on it, it’s another, that needs to be confessed…same thing with suicidal ideation, in my opinion.

You will want to mention suicidal thoughts at Confession. Like all bad thoughts, they require consent to be sinful.

I also strongly suggest that you get some kind of counseling if you have these kinds of mental health issues.

I don’t know about confession but you need to seek professional psychological help. Before it gets worse for you. Having suicidal ideations is part of a slippery slope that you do not want to play games with. Spiritually, your state of grace is in doubt but it is a very real danger to your physical and mental well-being if you do not get a doctor involved.

MacBP Never give up and never give in. You’re at a difficult and stressful time in your life, don’t try to accomplish all tasks at once or it’ll boggle your mind. Take one day at a time and never forget to pray for help from Jesus.

This is a prayer that kind of changed my life. I would pray it often and when times were tremendously tough, I would ask Jesus for help loudly.

Jesus, Help Me!

In every need let me come to Thee with humble trust, saying,
Jesus, help me!
In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations,
Jesus, help me!
In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials,
Jesus, help me!
In the failure of my plans and hopes; in disappointments, troubles and sorrows,
Jesus, help me!
When my heart is cast down by failure, at seeing no good come from my efforts,
Jesus, help me!
When others fail me, and Thy grace alone can assist me,
Jesus, help me!
When I throw myself on Thy tender love as Father and Savior,
Jesus, help me!
When I feel impatient, and my cross irritates me,
Jesus, help me!
When sickness and loneliness overcome me,
Jesus, help me!
Always, in weakness, falls and shortcomings of every kind,
Jesus, help me and never forsake me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.