Should this be happening?

Recently my Priest has purposely omitted both the Gloria and the Creed to make the Mass shorter. Is this permisible?
Thank you

[quote="rockymtnteri, post:1, topic:298980"]
Recently my Priest has purposely omitted both the Gloria and the Creed to make the Mass shorter. Is this permisible?

Thank you

[/quote]

It depends. Was it a Sunday Mass or a weekday? What there something happening at the beginning of the Mass? There are a few situations where the Penitential Act and Gloria can be ommitted.

Why don't you just ask the priest?

[quote="rockymtnteri, post:1, topic:298980"]

Thank you

[/quote]

Also, was there a baptism during Mass, involving the renewal of baptismal promises?

Do you know for a fact the priest left them out in order to shorten Mass?

I know in the EF Mass during the week, if it's a votive Mass there is no Gloria or Creed. Sometimes it's permissible to leave out parts depending on the Feast Day etc.

I was trying to shorten my post and should have given more information. Yes, the Priest purposely shortened the Mass for a parade. The music coordinator made an annoucement that these would be omitted today (not first time for a Sunday morning Mass) because people wanted to get to a parade that day. I've spoken to this Priest before and asked questions about things I did not understand and he is VERY upset to be questioned about ANYTHING. I pray for him all the time but I don't know if this is right or wrong. In my heart I feel that it is not right, but I am not very knowledgable about this issue. We have a very new Bishop and it seems that the Priests in our community want to put him in his place, they just don't seem very humble or respectful in doing what he asks.

Thank you

Shortening Mass for secular matters (like football games) is not unheard of, and it's rather disgraceful.

In ordinary circumstances, Mass on a Sunday has a Penitential Act (such as the Confiteor) or the sprinkling of water, followed by (outside of Lent and Advent) the Gloria. The Creed follows the homily. The Creed can be replaced by another form of the profession of faith, such as that which takes place at the celebration of a baptism.

Extraordinary circumstances might permit a priest to omit, but they would have to be rather grave circumstances. The Creed and the Gloria take less than four minutes combined to pray when they are spoken; they take much longer when sung.

rockymtnteri,

you have my sympathy - it's a distraction for me, too. I'm so worried about what new twist the Mass will take that I don't offer myself to God much or effectively open myself to prayer.

Our priest is lovely! wonderfully kind! ... and he leaves out the Gloria for all except Christmas and Easter and a few other Masses.

Don't know that it makes anything shorter because he intersperses the Eucharistic prayers with some chanted verse every half dozen lines or so.

so would I trade a priest who genuinely loves each of us and tries to be a true shepherd to his flock for a priest who says the right words?

some days, I might. It's hard to focus on God and the Mass when it's presented through his personal lense.

idk. why can't we have it all in one package!! :confused:

Shortened Mass for a parade? It's always good to see a parish with its priorities straight. :rolleyes:

While I don't condone shortening Mass for secular activities, if it absolutely must be shortened, there are allowable options the priest has such as:

[LIST]
*]Omitting the sign of peace
*]No hymns or sung propers
*]A short homily (if it's a Sunday or 1st Class Feast) or no homily if it's a week day Mass
*]Process through a shorter entrance/exit point (Though, it seems modern churches don't have the sacristy behind the sanctuary anymore)
*]Only the priest receives communion and the laity can make a spiritual communion
*]Use the shortest version of prayers
*]Leave out unnecessary blabbing
*]etc
[/LIST]

I wonder for what reasons would Jesus have shortened the Last Supper?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.