Should we be allowed to drink from the cup too?

No, the Last Supper ( where the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Holy Orders were instituted) was attended by just the Apostles. That is where they both received Holy Orders, and then Holy Communion

No others were offered the Eucharist, nor received the command to “Do this in memory of me”

The great commission is distinct from the commands given as part of Holy Orders, which is why no person who is not in Holy Orders can confect the Eucharist.

Quite an interesting take on the Eucharist. Can you demonstrate in the text where Holy Orders were conferred, or that they were commissioned at that time to be apostles? Can you explain why Judas, who was not commissioned as an apostle was present at the supper?

I think you should start another thread to discuss this issue. It’s a bit off topic here.

Suffice it to say, the Catholic Church gave you the Bible… she and she alone interprets it correctly. We are commanded to hold on to the traditions handed down to us by both word of mouth and letter (2 Thess 2:15), we are reminded that no scripture is of private interpretation (2 Pet 1:20), and finally that the Church is the “pillar and foundation of truth” (1 Tim 3:15). Catholics do not subscribe to the novel Protestant doctrine, ironically not found anywhere in scripture, of “sola scriptura”.

4 Q: When did Jesus Christ institute the Sacerdotal Order?
A: Jesus Christ instituted the Sacerdotal Order at the Last Supper when he conferred on the Apostles and their successors the power of consecrating the Blessed Eucharist. Then on the day of His resurrection He conferred on them the power of remitting and retaining sin, thus constituting them the first Priests of the New Law in all the fullness of their power.

http://www.catholicbook.com/AgredaCD/PiusX/psacr-o.htm

Q. On Holy Thursday, by what act and/or word did Jesus institute holy orders?

A. Here is a reply from Father Francis Hoffman, J.C.D.:

When Jesus gave the order, “Do this in memory of me” (Lk 22:19), he instituted the Sacrament of Holy Orders.
https://www.osv.com/Article/TabId/493/ArtMID/13569/ArticleID/17208/Institution-of-Holy-Orders.aspx

The apostles were ordained by Jesus at the Last Supper so that others could share in his priesthood

Judas left early.

:sunglasses:

It cannot hurt! I am still a klutz at times tho

I’m sure every Catholic kid out there played Holy Communion with Necco wafers once, especially the light colored ones.

You receive Jesus in His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity through either the host or the wine so you do not need both. Most parishes have both offered but I know for daily mass, unless there is a fairly large crowd (like 10-15 people) the cup isn’t offered.

I see that your response did not even address the texts which demonstrate the Judas was at the meal and that here was no such ordination that occurred during the last supper. Are you admitting then that this is a tradition not derived from sacred scripture but from other sources such as the 3rd Century writings in response to the issue of Donatism?

YES ONLY the Priest or Deacon can do this (I believe) for GOOD REASON!

The ordination took place while Jesus washed their feet before the meal. Judas was present. Please don’t continue the derailment any further, but we’ll be happy to discuss separately in a new thread.

Also the extraordinary minister according to the USCCCB rule thiste kindly posted.

Communicants (that includes EMHC’s) are not permitted self intinction. Maybe you are confusing EMHCs being allowed to distribute both species.

Yes, that’s probably what happened. I misread the passage. I was thinking that EMHCs were allow to intinct for communicants. I did not think that EMHCs were allowed to self-intinct, though.

Thank you for your wise guidance.

I didn’t bring it up. Brendan did as justification for deviating from the institution of the Lord’s Supper. I am well within the bounds of this community to challenge someone on unsupported claims brought up within the context of a conversation. Feel free to open a thread though. I would be interested in hearing justification.

Investigation has actually manage to calculate the number of verified cases of illness from this ion the Catholic and Orthodox churches for the period 33 AD to 2018 AD.

The Toal number of cases . . .

. . . . is zero,

Even without His Presence, you’re talking about a high alcohol acidic wine held int heavy metals . . .

hawk

The “only apostles heard the command to drink at the Last Supper” is off base:

Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. John 6:53-56

Not that anyone has ro fulfill this command literally. One species is enough to give all, as if God could be divided into two!

Traditionally in the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church the laity never received the chalice only the host on the tongue kneeling at an altar rail.

Giving the chalice to the faithful was part of many innovations including the disobedience of communion in the hand that originated in Holland and then was given an indult for countries that had the tradition.

They use the word tradition really when they meant liturgical abuse because it was at the time considered a great sacrilege.

Those countries that had communion in the hand were allowed to vote on it

America did not have the tradition it was illegally voted on and then sort of swept under the rug.

What took place in the Bible and the Early Church was actually instinction which can only be received on the tongue.

Later on different liturgical rites formed their own way of preserving the Eucharist.

The Latin Rite used a patton and a communion rail with a cloth that was placed over the rail to collect any particles.

Some of the Eastern rites used bread and wine as one species in a chalice given to the faithful with a spoon dropping the particle into their mouth.

My personal feeling is that I think if you’re going to use the chalice then do instinction otherwise half the time people can’t receive because it’s flu season or there aren’t enough eucharistic ministers.

My feeling is that the West needs to move back to its liturgical eucharistic traditions.

I also think the Tabernacle should be moved back behind the altar where it belongs.

Because every particle, every speck of bread, and every drop a wine is really, truly, Jesus Christ body, blood, soul, and divinity, every means must be taken to preserve the eucharist.

I’m sure people will disagree with me and that’s fine but I’m not going to reply to this thread I just am answering the question.

So no I don’t think it’s necessary that the faithful need to receive from the chalice.

Christ is present in both species and can be also offered up as one species simultaneously bread and wine as done in the East.

It’s legal I can receive communion in the hand and I can receive the chalice I choose not to I choose to receive on the tongue kneeling if possible and never the chalice which was originally reserved for the priest.

I like to receive both the Body and the Blood, but I also worry about germs, not from the Precious Blood, but from the rim of the chalice. And also from any “backwash.” What an awful thought! So, I have been drinking from the chalice from early summer through, say, November. Now we are into cold and flu season, so I’m “host only” till close to the beginning of May. Course, the concept of “backwash” may have me rethinking it before then.

In another thread here at CAF when discussing drinking from the cup, someone made a comment that when they went to drink from the cup a partially chewed communion host floated into their mouth. After that, I have not been able to drink from the cup.

My personal opinion would be, there are germs out there all year long, not just at flu season.

When receiving the host, we receive the body, blood, soul and divinity. We receive all of Him.

Gross… :scream:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.