Should we be allowed to drink from the cup too?

This is an incorrect assumption in all likelihood. The priest adds a piece of host (NOT CHEWED) to the main chalice just before distribution of communion begins (during the Agnus Dei). This concomitance is representative of the resurrection, the body and blood reunited. It’s part of our theology as to why only one form is sufficient for communion.

5 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. That is good to know.

1 Like

This is not at all true.

The receiving of the cup by the laity was, indeed, common up until the middle ages. One of the reasons it was stopped was to impress on the laity that the Host was Body, Blood, Soul & Divinity as was the cup, and one was not getting “less” if they didn’t receive both. (The heresy of Utraquism).

1 Like

The rim of the chalice is generally gold.

Germs do not do well in direct contact with heavy metal . . .

1 Like

I cannot receive the Host and only can receive from the Chalice because I am terribly allergic to all grains. It is so hard to go to a Mass where the Chalice is not offered. During the flu season, my Priest stops offering the Chalice because of the spread of illness. For me, he has an EM provide me with a little Sacred Blood from my own little Chalice. Talk about feeling loved…really. My Priest is not obliged to do that for me, but he does!

By the way, I have heard that originally the early Christians received the Host in their hands and not on their tongues. Each person receiving would form little “thrones” with their hands - the receiving hand would be palm up and the other hand would support the receiving hand as a base for the throne. Maybe someone already addressed that tradition here as I only skimmed the many responses.

1 Like

This is great to see! We are trying to get this available for my wife, who has a rare immunity disorder and must stay at home a majority of the time. She only leaves for doctor appointments and Mass. She wears a mask everywhere she goes except to Mass.

3 Likes

Not to belabor the point, but exactly what does “Germs do not do well in direct contact with heavy metal” mean? How long, for instance does the flu virus live on a heavy metal? From this site, https://jamaicahospital.org/newsletter/?p=1423, we know that the flu virus can live for up to 24 hours on an exposed surface. I would need empirical evidence from you to support your statement on the time the flu virus or a cold germ can live on a heavy metal.

Even if the flu virus only lasts 30 minutes on a heavy metal, that is plenty of time for a person to potentially contract the flu or a cold in Mass from the rim of the chalice. A common cold, which can last up to 24 hours on an exposed surface, is, according to both my wife’s hematologists, could have extremely deleterious effects on her causing her to be hospitalized and even have the potential to kill her if it is severe enough. Needless to say, the effects of the flu are even worse in terms of infection and the potential for death.

The only recourse we have is for her to avoid the chalice altogether. She would still like to partake in the precious blood, but that is currently an impossibility.

My line of discussion has turned more into a thought exercise unless someone has a viable solution.

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes

The chalice is wiped on the rim and turned about 45 degrees before the next communicant receives.

0 Likes

I hope that your Priest makes the Eucharist more readily available for her. I do stand out a little due to being the only one receiving this way, but Father Luke makes it simple and quiet as possible. Moreover, God is using this beautiful kindness to heal me. I praise and thank Him!

Finally, when visiting other churches in our area, I try to speak briefly to the Priest about my condition before Mass begins. I sit all the way up front, and when it is time to receive, I bow with crossed arms before the Host and Priest, who often gives me a blessing :). Next, I go to the Chalice of Sacred Blood, bow, and then receive. The main reason I sit up front is to be able to receive because if I sit too far back at times the Sacred Blood runs out; then I miss out!

I feel for your wife.

I was not going to write so much, but I just have to share an account of how serious we believers take the Eucharist. A couple of years ago, I was in line to receive. With concern, I watched the number of people going to the Chalice. As I was getting closer to the front, it looked like I would make it. Well, I bowed before the Host and received a blessing. I turned toward the Sacred Blood…the EM was walking away. I was devastated. During fellowship after church, I mentioned my sorrow about not receiving to the Priest. He said to sit up front; because there was a special event there was no place for me up front when I arrived that morning. Anyway, during this discussion, someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned to see Mr. and Mrs. U. They held up the little vial that held the Sacred Blood that they were taking to a homebound lady who had serious allergies to grains and could only receive from the Chalice. They saw me in line during the procession and how the Chalice was taken away just as I was going to receive. They wanted me to share the little they had in the vial with me! Tears came to my eyes - crying is not something I do very often. I took a small sip - that was all I needed to be satisfied. How touching! How beautiful!

The Eucharist is the Source and Summit of our faith.

Best regards,

Kimberly “KAMMYXPXP”

3 Likes

I know that is how it is done, I just don’t think that wiping the rim while turning the chalice around and around is going to prevent germs from being passed from one person to another. Not only that add everyone touching the chalice.

1 Like

So, don’t receive from the chalice if it bothers you. I see plenty of people passing up the chalice every time I go to Mass where it’s offered.
I myself do receive from the chalice, as long as I am not feeling ill with a cold.
I don’t believe I have ever caught anything from the chalice and I think the small amount of exposure to others’ germs that one might get is a good way to exercise one’s immune system.

I honestly think that handshaking at the Sign of Peace poses more of a germ risk, although I’ll do that if someone is absolutely bent on shaking my hand.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, which is why I don’t. We have very few people receive from the cup. I see many pass it by also.

Totally agree this. Handshaking definitely poses a germ risk also.

1 Like

Doctors in the parish say that you are more likely to catch bacteria and viruses while travelling on the public transportation system than from receiving from the chalice.

If one is sick then it is common sense not to receive from the chalice.

1 Like

No parish should allow self-intinction. It’s forbidden by the Church.

1 Like

The couple of years I taught First Communion classes we made sure the kids practiced with real hosts and wine.

I must admit I haven’t noticed a child, not even an altar server, receive from the Cup in my parish except at First Communion with their parents’ approval.

1 Like

I know our Pastor gave us unconsecrated hosts to play Mass with when he gave my brother a mini chalice & ciborium set.

2 Likes

You lucky ducks. Us kids had to wonder for years what hosts tasted like before the big day.

0 Likes

I’m pretty sure we already had both received Communion by the time that gift was conferred on my brother.

0 Likes

Children under the legal alcoholic drinking age are excused from receiving the Blood of Christ in my diocese. I don’t think a priest or bishop would like to be accused of encouraging minors to “drink wine” as the secular society sees it. If children are receiving the Blood of Christ by intinction, there is a very limited amount and no risk of someone emptying the chalice.

In my parish all, children and adults, receive their First Holy Communion by intinction. During Christmas night Mass everyone received by intinction as the priest thought that was preferred than offer the chalice separately.

0 Likes

I’m an EMHC, and I asked my priest about minors drinking from the chalice. (I don’t want jail time! :wink:) He told me there are laws in place regarding religious freedom that allow for this. Just going on what my priest told me. I’ve not seen the actual law, but I imagine it has something to do with the separation of church and state.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.